General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

That show seems under-appreciated to me, I really liked it :)

I wondered if people were put off by the fact that it was Sherlock related, but I liked the way the focus was on Moriarty instead.

For anyone who likes mystery anime but hasn't seen Moriarty the Patriot yet, get it on thy watch list!

I don’t know if I’m missing something g or being a dumbass… but is there a way to legally watch Sound! Euphonium: Our Promise: A Brand New Day?

I’m motoring my way through season 2 and then I already have Liz on bluray ready to go. But I’d like to watch the next movie before starting season 3. Is the only option here to import it from Shout Factory?

I don’t know if I’m missing something g or being a dumbass… but is there a way to legally watch Sound! Euphonium: Our Promise: A Brand New Day?

I’m motoring my way through season 2 and then I already have Liz on bluray ready to go. But I’d like to watch the next movie before starting season 3. Is the only option here to import it from Shout Factory?

The US Shout release is the only option for the Our Promise movie, unfortunately. At least it's affordable compared to those extortionate Pony Canyon US sets for the TV series.

Also there's no legal way to watch the Ensemble Concert movie in English.

Sound! Euphonium: The Movie - Our Promise: A Brand New Day is available on the Amazon version of the Crunchyroll app. You can do a free 7 day trial and watch it there and then cancel before you get charged for having a 2nd CR sub.

Yeah I believe the only option here is to import it, though I'm surprised and disappointed that crunchyroll didn't get it added on before season 3 came out. But far more disappointed we didn't get some nice CEs on that and season 2 from AL.
Sound! Euphonium: The Movie - Our Promise: A Brand New Day is available on the Amazon version of the Crunchyroll app. You can do a free 7 day trial and watch it there and then cancel before you get charged for having a 2nd CR sub.
Okay now I'm getting confused, is this some new trend where crunchyroll have titles via Amazon but not on their own app. I presume having a crunchyroll membership does not necessarily give access to their Amazon version?

Yeah I believe the only option here is to import it, though I'm surprised and disappointed that crunchyroll didn't get it added on before season 3 came out. But far more disappointed we didn't get some nice CEs on that and season 2 from AL.

Okay now I'm getting confused, is this some new trend where crunchyroll have titles via Amazon but not on their own app. I presume having a crunchyroll membership does not necessarily give access to their Amazon version?
Nope, having a regular CR subscription does not give you access to the Amazon channel version, hence why I suggested just picking the 7 day trial on the Amazon CR channel and then watching what you can't get direct off the CR site and cancelling.

My guess is that the Amazon CR channel for some reason has access to content that is region locked to USA only on the CR website.

What I find strange and almost predictable is how many anime shows there are that keep repeating the exact same scenarios:

1. Girl who finds she's a doomed princess in her favourite game and tries to change her destiny.
2. Guy gets sucked into his favourite RPG game where he's a loser or reset to level 1.

How about coming up with something new??

What I find strange and almost predictable is how many anime shows there are that keep repeating the exact same scenarios:

1. Girl who finds she's a doomed princess in her favourite game and tries to change her destiny.
2. Guy gets sucked into his favourite RPG game where he's a loser or reset to level 1.

I largely agree, though I will defend some of the doomed princess shows for making the point that the villainess sometimes isn't that bad but gets treated worse than the male love interest guy who does really bad things but cuz he has a traumatic past (and perhaps is conventionally hot) gets to be a hero? And that's not me arguing that women never do really bad things! Just that I think it's worse to uhhh "r-word assault" someone, than to humiliate them in public a bit, not that either is good and not that all these shows are particularly well written or interesting. I miss the classic shoujo isekai such as Magic Knight Rayearth, Escaflowne, and The Twelve Kingdoms so much!

Do you have any more original ideas for anime that you would like to see made? (That's not a dig, I'm genuinely interested) :) I'm trying to think of an idea for an anime that offers something new or at least fairly new for anime (as in maybe something that's been done somewhat in western media but is not so common for anime) :)

I started Yowamushi Pedal yesterday and I just wish that the one female character got to join the club as a cyclist rather than as their manager… 🙄

That said, I’m two episodes in so who knows where it will go. Still loving it though, I’m a sucker for a sports anime of a random sport (especially if it’s not in Shonen Jump).

@RadFemHedonist I’m also here for Escaflowne (not seen or read the others tho).

I started Yowamushi Pedal yesterday and I just wish that the one female character got to join the club as a cyclist rather than as their manager… 🙄

That said, I’m two episodes in so who knows where it will go. Still loving it though, I’m a sucker for a sports anime of a random sport (especially if it’s not in Shonen Jump).

I too enjoy a solid sports anime!

I'd def recommend MKR and 12 Kingdoms, though 12 Kingdoms is incomplete in anime form and ends on a bit of a cliffhanger - if that doesn't bother you too much though, you'll be richly rewarded, also both series have pretty solid dubs IMO. MKR is some proper vintage CLAMP and I loved it as much as Chobits and Cardcaptor Sakura (which is a lot) :)

Yowamushi Pedal is very good. I had a period where all I would watch was sports anime.

Major (2004) is the best sports anime that I have seen - the manga was published in Shonen Sunday. Unfortunately, there's no official Western DVD or blu-ray release for it. The series spans the life of a boy obsessed with baseball. I knew very little about baseball going in, but the characters and plot do hook you in and you'll pick up the rules quite easy even if you don't know them.

I went down the baseball anime rabbit-hole after that. Some other very good ones are Ookiku Furikabutte, One Outs, Cross Game, and Diamond no Ace.

The sport of baseball seems quite culturally important to Japan, so they seemingly tend to make quite good anime about it!

Last edited:

A variety of shows are still being produced. What's changed is the signal-to-noise ratio. The quantity of anime series produced has been increasing on a near-yearly basis for well over a decade. Rather than leading to more variety, it's led to more homogenised trend-chasing. Plenty of other shows are out there (this season alone we have stories as varied as Bartender, Train to the End of the World, and Jellyfish Can't Swim at Night), but it's easy for them to get buried under the tidal wave of isekrap.

Back