General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

Broken Blade had that effect on me the first time I watched it. I think it's partly because the character and world design is so bland. Ooh, a barren wasteland. Ooh, some rocks. And some more rocks. Zzzz...

Or it might have been the story. Hard to tell now because I don't remember anything about it :/

fabricatedlunatic said:
Broken Blade had that effect on me the first time I watched it. I think it's partly because the character and world design is so bland. Ooh, a barren wasteland. Ooh, some rocks. And some more rocks. Zzzz...

Or it might have been the story. Hard to tell now because I don't remember anything about it :/

Speaking of barren wastelands, what do people think of Casshern Sins? Having watched the first part (the bit Manga UK released on Blu-Ray), I found it an intriguing series - it dragged a lot in places, but I think it captured that desolate atmosphere in a way that very few other anime really have. It genuinely feels like the world is falling apart at the seams, saturated with death with just a few lonely survivors left eking out what's left. The self-contained stories help a lot too - What I always call the Bebop-effect.

I never got around to watching Casshern Sins due to mixed reviews and because it seems like the kind of show that's heavily reliant on atmosphere. If it works for you, great, but if it doesn't you're left with a snoozer. You make it sound interesting, though, and I see that Funi's S.A.V.E. edition can be had for £12 or so via Amazon Marketplace. Perhaps now is the time...

PERTINENT THOUGHT: Glasslip is a f**cking beautiful work of art, please disregard the hastily typed and ill-considered review I posted last night. After giving it some serious thought, I am now certain Glasslip is a wondrous anime truly. Please see the rate your anime out of 10 thread for my amended score.

I know it's not 'anime' in the strictest sense (although the styling of the characters is certainly inspired by it) - but is anyone on here a fan of RWBY?

It's currently streaming on Crunchyroll and I adore it - sure, it plays up very much to character types and a lot of it is very much fanservice to Western Otaku who have grown up on a diet of anime tropes and girls with cool weapons, but it does so in a very charming manner, I reckon. The soundtrack is brilliant too (although so emo, if 'emo' music is even a thing anymore).

Anyone willing to share an opinion on Garden of Sinners?

I've put in a tentative pre-order for it, knowing that it is limited edition, but I'm a little conflicted. As I've mentioned before I am REALLY not big on gore and violence. Sadly, I'm extremely sensitive and do not have a strong stomach for it at all :lol: I have seen mentions of these but I'm wondering to what extent it goes?

My friend's told me that I get to see more in Berserk Movie 3: The Advent than the series showed. This makes me very happy. I just hope it's not like a mere 5 mins as I've been told you get to see the Skeleton Knight and what his role was in the Eclipse was concerning Guts & Caska :)

Sadly the delivery date for Movie 3 is before Movies 1 and 2 so I'm going to have to wait till nearer the end of the month to get to see them all :(

I was wondering something...last night, a friend of mine pestered me to watch "Parasyte -the maxim-" and after he went on about how great it is, I did. However, I can't help but feel mixed and it actually started a rather heated debate between me and him because I wasn't in love with it, compared to say, "Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works".

It's definitely one of the better shows of this season, but I just felt like it was missing something. Like, I didn't know what the episode was trying to achieve. I feel like the first episode didn't give me any indication of what kind of story it's meant to be, y'know?

Well, 'different strokes for different folks' seems like the easy answer.

If I was to speculate more, it seems in general like the people who've been most impressed by the Parasyte anime at this stage were already fans of the manga, and if your friend isn't, perhaps he was just caught up in the hype-train generated by those who are. I don't think it was ever huge, but the Parasyte manga definitely has a cult following, and I dare say those most expecting a masterpiece are most likely to see one.

He's read the manga and kept on telling me that if I wanted to get its point, I should read the manga (despite it apparently being a faithful adaptation)....so is he basically just saying that the anime isn't at the stage where the point is clear yet? Because if so, that's not a great opener tbh. An opener needs a hook to make people want to read/watch the rest.

Started watching every anime now.
Currently looking like OreTwi and Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru will be battling it out for my AOTS. F/SN:UBW currently in third, but there's a lot of competition for that spot.

Lots of good stuff this season, though. 29 series made it past the first episode.

Long running shonen anime! What can you do? I watch a couple of episodes a night so as not to overdose. Anyway, last night, I stick a disc in, I'm at a key point in the show, the end of a story arc, choose the episode, press play, and the show begins, as I expected with a recap of the previous one. Only this recap is pretty long.

That's normal though, when they get to the climax of an arc, they tend to really sell that finale. It's not rare to get a recap that lasts four or five minutes. Certainly it has happened in shows like Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, and especially Bleach. Only six minutes go by, seven, eight.

It's not till the ad-break eyecatch that I finally twig. I'm actually watching last night's show again.

Only in shonen! Any other genre and I wouldn't have wasted my time. But with shonen, I wouldn't put it past them to actually have a recap of an episode lasting an entire episode!

I was in Forbidden Planet earlier today and they had a copy of Kill la Kill Volume 1 on DVD. They were charging £50 for it, which is nuts (and for comparison, they wanted £30 for Kokoro Connect and £150 for the Gurren Lagann Ultimate Edition!). I didn't buy it as I was waiting for the blu-ray anyway, but I can say that the release looks amazing. The packaging is on-par with that of the Japanese Madoka Magica movie limited editions.

Joshawott said:
I was in Forbidden Planet earlier today and they had a copy of Kill la Kill Volume 1 on DVD. They were charging £50 for it, which is nuts (and for comparison, they wanted £30 for Kokoro Connect and £150 for the Gurren Lagann Ultimate Edition!). I didn't buy it as I was waiting for the blu-ray anyway, but I can say that the release looks amazing. The packaging is on-par with that of the Japanese Madoka Magica movie limited editions.

Every time I've been to my local FP they are always charging absolute full rrp. With all the HMV's closing and Zavi/Virgin going years ago they don't have much high street competition for Anime thesedays.

I went into Forbidden Planet for the first time last weekend and their pricing is quite strange, I found - the majority of stuff was generally five or ten quid more expensive than Amazon, which is understandable - I'd expect as much from a high street retail store. But then I'd find weird oddities that were completely out of print elsewhere going for only £9.99, like the Beez Gundam Seed box set.

I think the HMV closures have had a serious impact on anime sales in the UK - the sales figures for this year compared to the last are noticeably smaller.

The Forbidden Planet in Edinburgh doesn't sell anime, but the one in Newcastle sells everything at full RRP. It's usually at least twice as expensive as it is online, and even more expensive than HMV as well.

Well, there are two FP chains, the Scotland group and the London group. My local one is the Scottish lot and the only anime they had last I looked was covered in an inch of dust (including VHS tapes!). Got a good deal on the limited Patlabor 2 once, which was even cheaper at the till than the fading sticker.

Back