Games you gave up on

Hmm well, I'm pretty bad for doing this, but I do end up playing them...a year later ^^" (Usually)

Star Ocean:Till the end of time: I have decided I absolutley hate this game. And will never play it again. I get unbelievably frustrated whenever I played it, so to hell with it. I never bought it (My brother did) so I thankfully didn't waste my money on a rubbish purchase :S
Final Fantasy VIII: I've left this game at a certain point at least 8 times now (I have 8 uncompleted files sitting on my memory card), everytime I go to play it again, I just start from the beginning, due to my terrible memory, I remember nothing that happened in any other file so...I really need to just play it and complete it TTxTT
Final Fantasy IX:...Stupid Gizamaluke D: (Yes, I know, I suck) When a boss kills me, I tend to leave a game for months(Or a year in FFVII's case xD I just recently began to replay it)
Harvest Moon:A wonderful life:...It was fun for the first week spree I played it in, but when I try to start playing again, I get bored, so this ones dumped D:
Eternal Darkness:Sanity's Requiem: My memory card totally failed and deleted this file, along with all my other gamecube game files. I never did bother to try and complete it or start again D:

Thats all I can think of now xD;

i got to the fourth .Hack game before giving up, i was kinda tired of data draining loads of enemies just to get a few virus cores.

when i play the final fantasy games i get near the end, and i just either give up because i'm bored or i start it again for some strange reason.

Vexer Yggdrasil Zero said:
PS1

FFVII - Wasn't mine and I had to give it back...then I grew up to become a Sony Hater...so I refused to re-buy a PS1....*cough*
Why not just get it for the PC? Thats how i played it. ANyway
Silent Hill 3PC- end boss not enough ammo ^%$&%
Pokemon Silver & SaphireGBA- too many of the little smeggers to get and raise to a useful level and no one else swap with it that i know of.
GTA III & San AndreasPC- Got the next in series before i finished III, and it's almost impossible to fly with a keyboard in San Andreas

hopeful_monster said:
Why not just get it for the PC? Thats how i played it. ANyway
Because the PC version has been unavailable commerically for about 7 years now, and every-man and three headed dog has the PS1 version, which only went out of print quite recently? We're talking the difference of a few million available units, plus the fact the PC version is and always will be increasingly more tempremental with each new Operating System released (so that's 4 and soon 5 new Windows versions in the time since the PC version was released). Oh, and the FMVs are absolutely terrible looking on the PC version (unlike FF8, which had far better looking cutscenes than the PS1 version), and playing an FF game with a keyboard completely lacks intuitiveness...

The PS1 version was always the way to play the FF games. True, I only ever completed 7 and 8 (and even 9 for that matter, thank you emulation) through the PC, but Eidos' ports were a lazy job and it's no surprise that Single Player FF never came back to the PC...

Most recently I gave-up on Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence. Not because it was difficult or anything, but my mind strayed elsewhere. I got to the part in the game where you infiltrate that fortress. I'll have to go back to it some time.

I did give up on Breath of Fire III at one point as I just got sick of never ending dungeons and always meeting bosses with no magic power left. But thanx to a boring work weekend, I have picked up where I left off.

It looks like Yakuza is going to become a casualty of this thread from me unfortunately. McIcy will not approve of this evil!

By the way Akaten, I completed both Maximo games, and yes! You must suck! Only joking. The first Maximo is quite difficult for a more modernish game. :)

Hovis! said:
It looks like Yakuza is going to become a casualty of this thread from me unfortunately. McIcy will not approve of this evil!

Of course I wont approve you quitter, now pick up that controller and get back to the game.

rum0ur said:
Ah man, Yakuzo is good...

See he agrees

I recently gave up on Pheonix Wright: Ace Attourney, I might try and pick it up again, since I haven't played it for the past month. >_<

I very rarely give up on a game. I just stop playing it for a while, and then eventually forget about it... One that does stick out though is Prince Of Persia: The Warrior Within. I despised it while I was playing it, but gave up when I got to the Empress in the middle of the game. After about of week trying to beat the most unfair boss of recent memory with virtually no sand, I finally conceded defeat. I now refuse to go back to it, and will probably never play Two Thrones now either.

If we wanted to make a thread of 'games you started but never finished' though, I could be here all night...

Sir Haggis, your progress on Prince Of Persia: The Warrior Within is stil better than mine. I bought a copy about two years ago but never even played it, despite the fact the first one (in regards to the new generation of Prince Of Persia games) was, and still is, an excellent game.

I did play The Two Thrones mind but never completed it (I killed the boss creature with that diabolical tongue!), though I did think it was an excellent game. The Two Thrones abandoned the angry adolescent teen stylings of The Warrior Within and went back to more traditional roots too by the way. :)

Pfft.. off the top of my head (and mostly already mentioned):

Vagrant Story was a pig, a very appealing pig at first, but nonetheless decidedly baconish.
Mario 64 started strongly and then went to pot, it got too difficult for my liking and controlling the thing was a pain in the backside. Gone were the multitude of different levels and razor-sharp controls, replaced with a couple of irritating, stubby worlds and a sloppy excuse for a control scheme.
Mario Sunshine Started off very promising, frustrated by (again) wayward over-steering on the controls and an insane difficulty level later on. It wasn't entertaining, it was irritating.
Condemned Now FP perspective games are not my strong-point, but this particular one seems to be deliberately fiddly to control in order to pad the game out. Without it, the few enemy encounters and slow wandering would result in a quick and dire quest. The gimmick with the forensic tools didn't impress, looking for .. dead birds is hardly the high-point of my gaming experiences. Poor.
Atelier Iris:Eternal Mana Charming for most of the game, though eventually the multiple flaws become too much to ignore. Most aspects of the game had shoddy undercurrents. Azoth of Destiny (the next game in the series) does it all again with the same graphics, but gets it right!
Phantom Brave Dear god, what a turkey! I fail to see why so many gamers grind on about this one. The dialogue is painful, the main characters are irritating, the 'attach' system would be fine and complicated enough without your characters disappearing after a couple of turns, leaving you with nobody but the bubble-headed protaganist to take on the level 999 octopus-man. The story battles difficulty curve was too steep, requiring grinding, and this game really doesn't suit grinding. Nah, got better walls to bang me head against.
Final Fantasies 8-X2 8 was a surprise let-down after 7, 9 bored me rigid, 10 was downright insulting. Quite why I thought playing X2 was a good idea is beyond me. Stick-with-a-nail-in-it therapy has helped me associate FF with absolute misery and financial loss, so every review score for FF12 is 1% to me.
Ring of Red Worth buying for the hilarious name alone, however having a Front Mission interface followed by battles involving holding up or down for two minutes straight, watching the same animations again and again and waiting for a number to get bigger really wasn't that good of a gameplay idea.
Ephemeral Phantasia The guy at the shop said this was a video game, but I found it quite similar to the sharp end of stick-with-a-nail-in-it therapy. I traded it in then went to A&E.
Sonic and Knuckles "Quick, get another sequel out before they realise we're just copying and pasting". I couldn't really get into Sonic 3, but with this one it got even worse, the levels seemed slow and empty, it was like it had been cobbled together in a few months and slung out. Blech.
Final Fantasy 6 Ooh, I know I'm gonna get flamed for this. After all the hype from Super Play, when I finally got around to playing this on an emulator I was profoundly underwhelmed. The characters were not interesting, the combat just bored me (no idea why, it didn't bother me on FF4 or FF7), Ultros was about as funny as a snapped tibia, I couldn't bear to play it more than a few hours. Perhaps the over-hype killed it for me, but even bearing that in mind I'd far sooner play FFMQ, FF4, FF5 or tiddlywinks than this anyday. The opera scene was in an issue of GamesMaster recently, the magazine singing its praises. Raised an eyebrow at that, the opera scene did nothing for me at all.

Need for Speed Carbon - Got bored of trying to do the track drifting levels, canyon drifting took a while to master but I just can't seem to get into the track drifting. Also I have a stunning car, Lambo, fully set up and tuned and the final boss still beats me by 8 seconds, so I gave up.

I haven't given-up on Okami yet. lol

Not going to either. Best PS2 single player game ever. If I do give-up on it I want everyone to seek me out, dress me in a gimp suit and spank me.

I'm gonna get hell for this but what the hell..

I have never given up on a game, and I think anyone who quits a game because it is too hard is well.. not a very good gamer.

Dagger said:
I'm gonna get hell for this but what the hell..

I have never given up on a game, and I think anyone who quits a game because it is too hard is well.. not a very good gamer.

Your right you are gonna get hell...... argh HELL HELL HELL HELL

I don't give up on games for being solely hard, just the ones that are so hard you get bored of playing the same level over and over and over again

Back