FUNimation Entertainment licenses [C], Panty and Stocking

devilrules666

Combat Butler
After revealing that they'll be streaming Toriko yesterday, North American anime giant FUNimation Entertainment has today lifted the lid on another couple of licenses for that particular territory.

First out of the bag is new noitaminA programming slot effort C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control - that series will be simulcast to North America via FUNimation's own web site, although we're still hoping for a UK announcement for this particular series from Anime on Demand.

Perhaps more exciting is the news that FUNimation now hold the US license for Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, GAINAX's rude, crude and generally lewd series that finished airing at the end of 2010. The series is currently slated for a 2012 DVD release in North America, although in the meantime you can still watch the series on UK Anime Network video portal!

http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/FUNima ... _licenses_[C],_Panty_and_Stocking.html

Jaymii said:
See, unique in the sense that it completely riffs on another continent's animation style...
This is what I thought. I despise the modern western animation style, and despite all the hype for this show, I turned off after seeing that it wasn't just the intro that used the modern-US style of animation.

I really liked P&SwG, and I can't stand the US animations it riffs on. I've tried to like shows like Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack etc, but I just find them too hyperactive, confusing and weird. P&S takes that feel and goes even further in a more unhinged direction, and somehow it works (mostly). I found myself following it on CR over anything else that season.

The sexy and parody episodes were definitely better than the all-out gross ones. I'll be buying the Funi release :)

R

Maybe it appealed to some people, but I turned to anime to get away from that style after the West turned to it. I'm not gonna start liking it "just cos it came from Japan", whether or not it has a good story or decent moments.

Jaymii said:
See, unique in the sense that it completely riffs on another continent's animation style...
Huey-Freeman-profile.jpg

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Aren't they just imitating a western style imitating a Japanese style? It just looks like how western animation started to look after the anime boom began in 2000. Imitating an imitation. Or something.

I don't think so. It's the noughties Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network comedy shows. I'd take Powerpuff Girls over this any day though. I love that show, Craig McCracken's humour hits me hard.

I've always been a general "animation" fan though. Wouldn't have found anime without a passion for the western stuff.

Mutsumi said:
Aren't they just imitating a western style imitating a Japanese style? It just looks like how western animation started to look after the anime boom began in 2000. Imitating an imitation. Or something.
Exactly. I ended up dropping the show because it was, imo, a very very poor Gainax show. But it was so totally a Gainax show at heart that I can only assume the use of the "Cartoon Network style" was at least somewhat ironic rather than entirely cap-doffing.

ilmaestro said:
Mutsumi said:
Exactly.
Why exactly? Comedy-wise, the animation went through a period of being "cute" (I guess!) and is now more surreal again. I can't work out a lot of the anime-influenced stuff, Teen Titans is the obvious example, but then **** like Ben 10 isn't TOO far off that. And that itself isn't exactly a long way from DC cartoons in the '90s.

I think it was more to do with it being a badly written show. Or not even, it was vulgar for the sake of it and when you do that, or do a parody, with nothing to comment on it always falls flat. That said, if you can muster the energy to get to the end, il, you may enjoy it. It's quite the crescendo. The ending doesn't retroactively change anything, but it makes the "world" make sense and even though the most bizarre things were happening, I thought it worked. I may have put on my Graduation Goggles for it though.

Back