Favourite Mamoru Hosoda film

Same, but I just liked it more than his subsequent films. I really liked Summer Wars the first time I saw it, but I kind of went off it after rewatching it a few times.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is great and I love Wolf Children. I liked Boy and the Beast and Summer Wars is OK (I have all 4 on Blu-Ray and rewatched TGWLTT and Wolf Children straight away, but haven't got round to rewatching Summer Wars yet!)

Wolf Children is not only my favourite Hosoda film, it's probably one of my favourite films period. Goddamn it's such a humanizing film, and there's so much amazing cinematoragphy going on in it as well.

Thinking about it, there's not a Hosoda film I've disliked, some are just stronger than others. I rate The Girl Who Leapt Through Time pretty highly too.

Wolf Children is a top film of mine too, it has a strong heartfelt message about motherhood and identity. We don't appreciate the length single mothers go through to raise kids. When the kids started to fight in the home I had goosebumps. Hana easily wins best mom award <3

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is my favorite, That was one of the very first anime my two daughters showed me to get me interested in watching anime with them. Wolf Children for some reason just didn't click with me, and I'm not sure why - normally I would be a big fan of that type of movie, but it just was not as interesting as thought it would be. Still, I guess it would be my second pick. Summer Wars third, Boy and Beast fourth.

Probably Wolf Children, Girl is fairly close but I remember having a fee issues with some plot points in that film.

Beem a while since I've seen both due for a rewatch!

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. It was one of the first anime films I'd seen, so it holds a special place for me because of that. I adore that film, and I hope to one day get the big fancy 10th anniversary BD they put out in Japan for it.

Wolf Children is also a lovely film, and Summer Wars was fine, though nothing special IMO. I'm yet to see The Boy and the Beast.

Pretty much all of them, GWLTT I'd still consider to be in my top 5 Anime Movies

Same, but I just liked it more than his subsequent films. I really liked Summer Wars the first time I saw it, but I kind of went off it after rewatching it a few times.

Oddly the exact opposite, first time I watched Summer Wars I found it was ok, nothing special. The other times I've watched it, I've really enjoyed it

Same happened with Wolf Children, I enjoyed the rewatch more

Mine would have to be The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. That was the film that turned anime from an interest into a passion for me. ☺️

Summer Wars is a big favourite now too; that's one I enjoyed more and more with repeat viewings.

Wolf Children... not so much of a favourite. I just don't connect with it, I guess. Although there is that one scene with the deafening silence (that scene) that's harrowing to watch; outstandingly well done.

The montage that gives us a highlights package of Hana and the wolfman's relationship I find less successful. I think those kind of things are difficult to pull off and make the viewer really connect with, compared to perhaps depicting one little special moment that would sum it all up instead.

I find Yuki to be a character you can get behind, though; Ame... hmm. I'm not keen on him.

The Boy and the Beast is, for me, utterly outstanding as a film. I just love the relationship between Kyuuta and Kumatetsu! They're always at odds with each other — both being so stubborn — and it's all very fiery and explosive, but you can tell they still both really care. Kumatetsu is a hilarious grouch. 😆

I guess if I were to rank Hosoda's film, then, it'd be:

1. The Girl Who Leapt Though Time
2. The Boy and the Beast (a close second)
3. Summer Wars
4. Wolf Children (easily last for me)

Looking forward to seeing Hosoda's next one, Mirai from the Future. ☺️

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is definitely my favourite Hosoda film (it's one of my favourite films period), I've watched it so many times at this point and I love it as much now as I did the first time I saw it. Probably followed by Wolf Children which I absolutely adore.

I don't really dislike any of his films but Summer Wars is probably the one I like the least, like I wouldn't mind watching it again if someone wanted to but I doubt I'd ever go out of my way to watch it myself.

Wolf Children didn't click for me either. I didn't feel the same emotional resonance from it that a lot of folk seem to, so it just struck me as bitty and episodic. I might have liked it more as a tv series, actually.

Having only seen The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars, I would say my favourite is TGWLTT. Summer Wars seems to have a broader appeal, but nothing that would make me want to rewatch it, whereas TGWLTT only gets better with each rewatch. :)

Back