Favourite Engrish in anime

There's also those bizarre cross-language Japanese/English conversations in Eden of the East, too. Especially that one in the first film, The King of Eden.

I couldn't find a video of it, but it's when Takizawa is in New York speaking to a cab driver, and asking him whether a passenger left their mobile phone behind in the cab today. This is how the conversation starts:

Takizawa: Kyou kuruma ni, wasuremono no keitai toka arimasen deshita? You know?

Cab driver: I don't know nothin' about that.

Yep, just by tacking on "You know?" at the end of a completely Japanese sentence, even a foreigner can understand!

There's also those bizarre cross-language Japanese/English conversations in Eden of the East, too. Especially that one in the first film, The King of Eden.

I couldn't find a video of it, but it's when Takizawa is in New York speaking to a cab driver, and asking him whether a passenger left their mobile phone behind in the cab today. This is how the conversation starts:

Takizawa: Kyou kuruma ni, wasuremono no keitai toka arimasen deshita? You know?

Cab driver: I don't know nothin' about that.

Yep, just by tacking on "You know?" at the end of a completely Japanese sentence, even a foreigner can understand!

Well there is the Englishman abroad's approach to making oneself understood. Speak louder, and enunciate each word separately, as if that will make Johnny Foreigner suddenly understand English.

Hellsing's Anderson brings plenty of laughs

"Ifu anyone does not luv ze lewd, Jizzus Cries, let him be accused oh lawd cum ey men"

Not seen the show but this clip has always stuck with me after all these years. I relate to the cat on a personal level because I too have a daughter in America and wish that I were a bird.

Remembered this scene too. I always liked how speaking fluent English in Azumanga Daioh amounted to gibberish (perapera).

You just keep coming up with the goods, Jatz. :D

Here's a YouTube video I first ran into a while back. It's from Bokura ga Ita episode 8. I've never seen the show, but this clip is hilariously inappropriate!

The thumbnail is a dead giveaway, so here's a link instead.

Last edited:
Re-watched the K-On movie yesterday and remembered these.

No English is spoken but this summarises everything...

The above scene in English is awkward in the dub.

Last edited:
In the mid-to-late 2000s it felt like everybody had watched Azumanga, it was the show that united anime fans old and new - I don't think I'd be mistaken in saying it was the first really big anime of the internet age, at least on English language imageboards RIPIP wakachan /azu/ ;_; with pretty great quantities of fan content and discussion... Hell, I feel like Azumanga and the online reaction to it pretty much set the tone for anime culture on the internet. We're still using memes (or variations thereof) that originated in those lazy crazy bonkura days.

Obviously there are going to be people who haven't watched it, especially now that an entire new generation of anime fans have grown up without Azumanga being part of their formative experience, but somehow that still just feels really odd. And slightly depressing that I can't go back to the mid 2000s and live it over again. People missed out, I guess. It was a fun and simpler time to be on the early internet, before social media and normal people ruined everything. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and pour myself a drink and sob quietly while listening to my image singles...

I do hope one of the UK distributors picks up Azumanga Daioh at some point. Not only did it really pave the way for all future high school comedies that are so popular at the moment, it's still, in its own right, a damn good show. I only watched it last year, yet it has to be one of the funniest comedies that I've ever seen. Just about every episode was consistently hilarious.

I've been an anime fan all my life, the show never looked appealing to me at all. I've never cared to watch something in order to be one with the zeitgeist and I definitely never cared to "be one" with the anime fandom, the opposite in fact. The cultish nature of anime is something I despise. Didn't watch it then, won't watch it now.

Back