Favourite Engrish in anime

Neil.T

Idolm@ster
This is a bit of a random idea for a topic, but it came to me after watching Bubblegum Crisis a while back. So, here goes:

What are your favourite moments of Engrish in anime? (Either on-screen text or spoken dialogue.)

For me, it's tough to beat that scrolling neon sign in episode 2 of Bubblegum Crash. It appears under a big screen showing a music video and reads:

HEER COME THE CYBER FUNKER

What a classic moment. :D

That's brilliant. Shall I start looking forward to Manga/Animatsu's release, then? :D

I've got another one. Who could forget that on-screen message on a computer monitor in episode 7 of Bubblegum Crisis? Nene's trying to gain access to some classified info by guessing a password, but an incorrect entry shows:

Password is in the wrong

(That message makes a cameo appearance on a menu screen on AnimEigo's BD release of Otaku no Video, I believe.)

Oh, I like a bit of slice-of-life, so yes please!

Thanks for the tip. :D

While I'm at it, here's another one from Bubblegum Crisis, this time episode 3. Priss's weapons display in the visor of her hardsuit lists:

RAIL-G
N-B
H-SOAP
H-BEAM

The first one is obviously railgun; the second is... nuclear bomb?!

The third one's my favourite. I've never seen hand soap used as a weapon before.

Not sure what the fourth one is. Hentai beam? :eek:

Last edited:
Unsure what it says about me as a person that the only thing like that I can remember from Bubblegum Crisis now is that Nene has a sex manual titled "How to Make Love" amongst the books on her desk in one episode...

My favourite one though is still the refrain from the OP for Blue Seed - "Pick me up foxy night game~"

Nene has a sex manual titled "How to Make Love" amongst the books on her desk in one episode...

WTF?!? That's hilarious. I've never noticed that. I'll have to look for it next time. ;)

To add to the above post about Priss's weapons display, a few cuts later RAIL-G has changed to RAILGUN, giving us confirmation. But H-SOAP has become H-SOUP. Homemade soup? As a weapon...? o_O

Those are priceless. :D

That Kaji scene from Evangelion 2.22 is a long-standing favourite of mine.

It woes, within the realm of possibility.

On its own, humanity isn't capable of holding the Angels in check.

The analyshis, polling the permafrost excavation, of the Third Angels was a so extensive, all that was left were some balls. And thit was a conclusion.

That set. Ghoul la~n!

(Or words to that effect. ;))

My husbando's are berry niceu.

Do. You. Understandu?

Those are priceless. :D

That Kaji scene from Evangelion 2.22 is a long-standing favourite of mine.

It woes, within the realm of possibility.

On its own, humanity isn't capable of holding the Angels in check.

The analyshis, polling the permafrost excavation, of the Third Angels was a so extensive, all that was left were some balls. And thit was a conclusion.

That set. Ghoul la~n!

(Or words to that effect. ;))

Excerrent!

Not Engrish really but absolutely hilarious. I've not seen this series but this probably spoils the best joke in the series for English viewers. This clip has me in stitches everytime.

Another pretty funny one from Kuroko No Basket.

I'm enjoying these. :D

There's also this gem from Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions!:

It's easy for you to talk in English, right?

Last edited:
Not seen the show but this clip has always stuck with me after all these years. I relate to the cat on a personal level because I too have a daughter in America and wish that I were a bird.

I like to think on some level, there's a little bit of Chiyo's Dad in all of us.

Back