Fall Anime Season 2011

I'm totally watching Gundam Age. I mean, I've watched every other damned series (hmm, except half of G Gundam and all of Unicorn), so I might as well.

It's pleasant how the art-style gently reminds me of Professor Layton. Though Layton wouldn't have **** to do with the gigantic leaps in logic that most of the people in this damned program seem to make. I don't know how they've done it, but they've managed to make 'mid-teen boy is first choice pilot for top secret weapon' even more nonsensical. And yes, that means I'm totally going to keep watching it.

Persona 4 and Hunter X Hunter 2011: IS IT JUST ME OR WITH EACH EPISODE ARE THESE SHOWS JUST GETTING BETTER?

Except they are really not.

Guilty Crown was like Code Geass except less offensive, although it didn't seem as... interesting even though I hate Geass. UN-GO was fine, but not my type of show, but I might stick with it, it's not really as bad as GOSICK was.

Gundam AGE was... Gundam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lupus said:
Persona 4 and Hunter X Hunter 2011: IS IT JUST ME OR WITH EACH EPISODE ARE THESE SHOWS JUST GETTING BETTER?

Except they are really not.

Guilty Crown was like Code Geass except less offensive, although it didn't seem as... interesting even though I hate Geass. UN-GO was fine, but not my type of show, but I might stick with it, it's not really as bad as GOSICK was.

Gundam AGE was... Gundam.

What offended you about CG? (genuine question, not trolling)

kupocake said:
I'm totally watching Gundam Age. I mean, I've watched every other damned series (hmm, except half of G Gundam and all of Unicorn), so I might as well.
You should fix the G Gundam situation at the very least.

ilmaestro said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Guilty Crown was good but I couldn't help but think I got myself drunk and somehow put on both Utena and Geass on at the same time. Also, why is this on noitamnA? Besides the Production IG Pedigree, it doesn't strike me as a noitamanA show.
Do you not think it has a few similarities to the other action-y shows they've had this year? Seems to be the way they're going - have one "really" noitaminA show, and one "kind of has some artistic merit but is actually a bit balls-to-the-wall nuts". It's also one of the few programming slots where you can still expect to see anime originals, too.

Ah right, those shows. I forgot them because they were pretty freaking attrocious. Did C even have a point by the end?

Managed to watch the first episode of UnGo this morning. Not so sure I buy into the motivation behind the murder in this particular episode, but I enjoyed it anyway and I can see myself sticking with the series.

What's everyone else feeling for best show, so far? Struggling to pin down a full list atm, Guilty Crown, Ben-to, Last Exile (although from just one ep) feel like they might be fighting it out for top spot, for me.

ilmaestro said:
What's everyone else feeling for best show, so far? Struggling to pin down a full list atm, Guilty Crown, Ben-to, Last Exile (although from just one ep) feel like they might be fighting it out for top spot, for me.

While I still need to start a bunch at the moment it's either Persona 4, Fate/Zero or Ben-To could take my best-of-show. Really surprised on how entertaining Ben-to is especially.

Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai -

What I said - I do say old chaps, the synopsis looks quite generic if I do say, Serious: i'll give it a shot

What I thought - It's alright, I was told on twitter that the mangaka is the same creator that worked on the manga for this and Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko (which was animated by SHAFT back in the Spring Season).

The first episode really reminded me of Haruhi Suzumiya for a moment, since it's a crazy & friendless girl asking a normal student to join a strange school club.

While it's serves up a decent premise it really did feel bland at times, I didn't even laugh, so i'm hoping that somehow the next episode will be better.

Maken-Ki-

What I thought - This was really REALLY stupid.

Every character is stupid, every ecchi moment is stupid, the ending is generic and stupid. But that isn't the icing on the cake:

A practice battle against the main character and the female student who CLEARLY shows murderous intent and has the WHOLE school and principal looking at her, does she face any kind of punishment? Nope, she becomes part of the Harem.

*Hit's head on desk*

I would have to say my favourite anime of the season so far is definitely Chihayafuru, followed by guilty crown, Ben-to, Un-go and possibly last exile.

Mirai Nikki is the most enjoyable this season, fast pace for a series which I hardly care about and was never good in the first place = enjoyable watch. Although some of the characters don't sound how I imagined but we'll see when Yuno goes full crazy what she sounds like. Not that I care for Yuno, since it's all about Ninth but whatever.

wertwow said:
I would have to say my favourite anime of the season so far is definitely Chihayafuru
You are pretty awesome for mentioning this show. If ep 3 is as good as the first couple of episodes, it will be right up there fighting it out for my top spot so far, too.

Yeah, that's some ******** from someone (I am assuming) trying to make themselves out to be more awesome than they actually are. It is something anyone can watch imo, there is just an extra layer there for you if you have already studied the Hyakunin Isshu (not entirely impossible, even as a foreigner, as it is taught regularly as part of Classical Japanese classes) or have an extended interest in the cultural aspects of the show.

OK, I am as up to date as I can be for the first time this season, so let's go:

S Tier

Fate/Zero
Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Chihayafuru
Guilty Crown

Fate's first couple of episodes convinced me hard enough that I am waiting for a BD release before watching the rest. HaGaNai is a bit of a personal bias choice, but hey. Chihayafuru is my number one surprised of the season, a truly beautifully put together show, and Guilty Crown is just touching off Last Exile as the most exciting show of the season so far.

A Tier

Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam
Ben-to
Working'!!
Gundam AGE

Last Exile is pretty much everything you could want out of a sequel in that universe, so far. Ben-to is original and hilarious, with some decent action. Working'!! remains the best comedy of the last few years, and Gundam AGE deserves a lot of kudos for totally overcoming my low expectations for it.

B Tier

UN-GO
Tamayura: Hitotose

Bakuman. 2

UN-GO can improve a lot, but it is too classy for it to be much lower down than this. Tamayura has a delicacy that you don't see too often, hopefully they play on that as much as possible and leave some of the forced comedy of the previous ep out. C³ is a good example of "don't judge a box by its cover", and one of the biggest turnarounds I can remember from an underwhelming ep 1. Bakuman remains Bakuman.

C Tier

Shinryaku!? Ika-musume
Kimi to Boku
Mirai Nikki

All of these shows feel like they could be in B Tier instead, and it just comes down to my personal enjoyment of each. I still find many aspects of Ika-chan to be hit or miss, Kimi to Boku is a really sweet show but not one I would massively miss if it was suddenly not on, and Mirai Nikki I fully expect to move up my rankings once it sorts itself out a bit.

D Tier

Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon
Maji de Watashi ni Koi shinasai!
Maken-Ki!

Horizon still has me worried that it is going to slip into the dross of episode 2 far too often, and is not going to be able to tell the "real" story properly within the confines of TV anime. MajiKoi! needs to at least continue to be as madcap as possible, and it will remain a guilty, entertaining, pleasure of no real value whatsoever, and Maken-Ki! is just pretty bad. Would be dropped if not for Himegami~

Didn't start yet

Persona 4
Shakugan no Shana III
HUNTERxHUNTER

Really want to play P4 instead, probably on Vita, need to catch up with some previous Shana before moving on to III, and still not sure if I can be bothered with HxH from the start again.

Dropped

Phi Brain: Kami no PUZZLE

Yeah, the basic idea was ruined by the silly plot device, and it wasn't very well made. Puzzle solved.

--

fwiw, my list probably looked like this after one ep:

Fate/Zero
Ben-to
Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam
Chihayafuru
Guilty Crown
Working'!!
Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon
Gundam AGE
UN-GO
Bakuman. 2
Shinryaku!? Ika-musume
Mirai Nikki
Maji de Watashi ni Koi shinasai!
Kimi to Boku
Phi Brain: Kami no PUZZLE
Maken-Ki!

Persona 4
Shakugan no Shana III
HUNTERxHUNTER

Squid Girl season 2 is definitely B-Tier for me xD

What I like about Shakugan no Shana III, is that there are constant reminders about past events, as if JC Staff realise how long it has been since Shana II. I'm really loving the series at this point; how there's a very obvious build up, but the focus on Shana and Yuji is more bittersweet than what it was in Shana II.

I may as well post my rankings as well:

Loved:
Persona 4: The Animation
Fate/Zero
Ben-To

Liked:
Phi Brain
Un-Go

Mixed:

Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!
Mashiroiro Symphony
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon

Hated:
Maken-Ki!

Still need to watch:
Guilty Crown
Chihayafuru
Shinryaku!? Ika-musume
Kimi to Boku
Mirai Nikki (Awaiting for Anime On Demand to air this)
HUNTERxHUNTER

A massive amount to catch up with here, I may wait for the final Anime On Demand licenses to come through.

So far:

Loved:
Shakugan no Shana III

Liked:
Squid Girl Season 2

Mixed:
Mobile Suit Gundam AGE

Hated:
Un-Go

Still need to watch:
Everything else. I'm also waiting on AoD for Mirai Nikki.

superinteresting.jpg Tier
Persona 4
Fate/Zero

Mite b cool Tier
Ben-to

What the **** am I watching Tier
Mirai Nikki
Working'!!

WHY Tier
C3
Guilty Crown