Fall 2007 season new anime list

McIcy said:
Watched Kaiji and Dragonaut and have to say I love the look of both of them (well Kaiji's nose gets on my nerves) and look forward to checking out Blue drop tonight.

Never was a Gundam fan so I won't be watching that

Nose? it's the mullet that irks me. :roll: . As for Dragonaut it's the absurdly large breast that put me off, but will probably keep watching them for a bit.

I'll take a look at the above mentioned, but the Kaiji thing I've seen that about before and yep, the art is annoying so I'll pass on it

Lupus Inu said:
I need to finish SEED before moving onto the new Gundam. Damn my lack of enthusiasm to finish it. >_>
You don't really need to finish SEED to watch 00, as they're set in different continuities.

There's a few titles there that catch my eye, mostly the ones that have gone unmentioned here; Moonlight Mile, Bamboo Blade, Sketchbook, Mokke, Prism Ark, Ghost Hound. Maybe Blue Drop and Moyashimon. And of course Genshiken and Gundam 00.

... hm, there's more there than I thought :?

Jayme said:
Gemma1412 said:
Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro sounds like it could be good. Anybody know what fansubber is taking it on?

Fansubber Thread Conversing = Bad.

PM'ing = Somewhat Better.

Geh, sorry - didn't realise. But... doesn't matter now. I watched the first epi... slightly dissapointed. Her obsession with food was just annoying and why did he need her, she barely did anything? I'll wait for the nxt couple of episodes but... i dunno. There are plenty of other detective anime out there.

Andy said:
There's a few titles there that catch my eye, mostly the ones that have gone unmentioned here; Moonlight Mile, Bamboo Blade, Sketchbook, Mokke, Prism Ark, Ghost Hound. Maybe Blue Drop and Moyashimon. And of course Genshiken and Gundam 00.

... hm, there's more there than I thought :?

Your not alone - i'm planning on watching all of those too. .. Not Genshiken or Gundam though - I haven't watched the first series.... yet. Heheh

So, what are peoples first impressions of new series?

Blue Drop. I liked this one. Artwork is clean, and the plot's already moving. I didn't find the first episode confusing, but then I already knew the story behind Blue Drop anyway. Plus, I kinda like shoujo-ai shows...

Clannad. If you liked Kanon and Air, you'll probably like this, the spring chapter, as it were. Although the characters could be described as cliches from other Key works (Kanon in particular), I still like them. I'm expecting it to differentiate itself more as it progresses - IIRC the theme of Clannad is more towards family. Notably, the artwork isn't as smooth as would be expected, although I've heard that higher quality versions will be shown after a delay. Also, the scene-change wipes look kinda lame and out-of-place.

ef - a tale of memories. Romance. Seems to be focusing on 2 (3?) different couples which are quickly set up, so it looks like there'll be less of the interminable will-they, won't-they that you sometimes get. My first impression of the characters is that they seem kinda weak (i.e. boring), but there hasn't really been enough time to give them development. I thought the directing was pretty good in the show, which is quite a plus. I'll probably watch this a bit more before making up my mind on it.

Kaiji. If you liked Akagi, you'll probably like this. In terms of style and content it's pretty much identical - the artwork, direction, narration, and plot focus (gambling) are all just as they were. However, the main character is different enough to properly distinguish it from its predecessor. If you haven't seen Akagi I'd say it's definitely woth checking out an episode or two of one of the two shows, as they're quite different from most anime.

Minami-ke. Comedy. This one seemed kinda average, but then individual mileage of comedy shows can vary greatly. The kissing thing made me laugh a bit, but it was also kinda odd... Also, the character designs seemed a little bit off - their mouths were pear-shaped, and their eyes looked like they were from a much older anime. I'll probably check out a few more episodes to see if it's worth continuing.

Rental Magica. Meh. Milquetoast protagonist with crazy uber powers in his right eye, released when he takes his eyepatch off. Has a harem of magic using girls filling most of the usual types (although no android, as far as I can tell) :roll: . Also has a guy who likes cats. Together they solve magical mysteries. Uh-huh...

Is it just me or is this season disappointing? Started watching over 10 series and am only sticking with three (Shion No Ou, Ghost Hound and Gundam 00) and may go back to two more after i complete Kotor 2 addiction (Blue Drop, Sketchbook ), but nothing has seemed to catch people like Gurnen Largen Code Geass or Lucky Star did.

Lucky Star is epic....?

I've lost faith in anime fans. But apart from that the original things I intended to watch I never did and watched something different instead, Gundam 00 is pretty good.

Time for a brief round up.

CLANNAD - Seems ok so far. Nothing amazing or bad. Just seems like a Kanon clone really. Good comedy though.

Night Wizard - Watched one episode and got bored. Probably won't finish it. Terribly cliche.

D.C. II Da Capo II - Maybe it's just my high expectations after the first Da Capo, but this series hasn't come close to being as good as the first one. Again, kinda boring and cliche.

Shakugan no Shana Second - Still undecided. Seems to be on par with the previous season, which was ok by today's standards.
Lupus Inu said:
Lucky Star is epic....?

That's to be expected from people who get captured by the "Hype Machine" or get beaten by the "Otaku Stick".
Lupus Inu said:
I've lost faith in anime fans. But apart from that the original things I intended to watch I never did and watched something different instead, Gundam 00 is pretty good.
I've heard that Gundam 00 is good but I would preferrably watch the older stuff before I watched it.

Only really been focusing on four series at the moment:

Clannad - Seems fairly nice and the comedy is good, as has been said, it feels like Kanon quite a bit, but i am expecting it to take a different turn at some point.

ef - a tale of memories - a strange one i thought at first, but after going through about 4 episodes its pretty good. I'm going to continue with it since it has caught my interest

Dragonaut - The Resonance - Story seems fairly straight forward, and a lot of the story seems cliché or samey. That maybe the case, but its keeping me entertained somehow so i'll watch a bit more for now.

Gundam 00 - I'd seen some gundam before but never anything from start to finish. This is pretty good at the moment, and am going to stick with it.

I need to get onto Genshiken still but i have yet to watch the OVA's for it, and also Kaiji does interest me, so maybe if dragonaut gets worse, i'll switch to it.

I was going to watch Lucky Star... just to see if the hype was warranted. But now it seems like i shouldn't waste my time and just watch Ghost Hound (which looks darn interesting) Blue Drop, Sketchbook, Rental Magica, Night Wizard and Shugo Chara. ... ho hum

Gemma1412 said:
I was going to watch Lucky Star... just to see if the hype was warranted.
It wasn't.

Ghost Hound. This seems to be the one catching peoples attention at the moment - it's certainly got a lot of potential. Lain-esque vibe to it, although not nearly as confusing (yet, anyway).

Hero Tales. Heh... shounen fighting show. 7 mystic warriors, born under stars, fated to meet, etc. Nothing that really stands out, but good easy watching.

Myself; Yourself. Standard renai series so far, although the op animation looks like the series could turn into something else. Not sure I want to traipse through predictability to find out if it does or not though. Also lacks subtlety.

Sketchbook ~full colors~. Very slice-of-life show, and not the best out there. Probably only gonna be worth watching if you're already a big fan of similar series.

i'm actually looking forward to code geass but i guess they are taking their time to produce a better second season... there is something wrong with me coz looking at the list they dont look so awesome and promising since the spring list... lovely complex is just the best anime from spring to fall list.......

Back