Fairy Tail to be released next February

Thats so misleading "and it will release the first 48 episodes on DVD and Blu-ray Disc later this year" that, to me, makes it sound like the first 48 episode will be in 1 set.

"The anime studio will release the complete series on DVD and Blu-ray later this year."

That should be reworded to the complete first series. I'm guessing if Manga are doing 12, then Funi will probably not release the 48 at once.

Ryu Shoji said:
I'd put money on Travis Willingham voicing Gray.
From all the stuff i've heard him in, his voice is a tad too deep for gray :wink:

My guesses for the leads:
Lucy - Cherami leigh (thats who i'd personally like to hear)
Erza - Stephenie Young or Luci Christian (both would be fine)
Happy - Brina Palencia (the only one who could pull it off)
Gray - Jason Liebrecht, Josh Grelle or Eric Vale (not too sure about this one)

Reaper gI said:
FUNi thought Hetalia was a general audience comedy, they hadn't even noticed it was bishounen.
I remeber a tiwtter conversation where Manga didn't know what shoujo was!!

FWIW I think Funi did a great job marketing Hetalia. The merchandise they put out was definitely aimed more at the large existing female fanbase (cutesy tshirts with rainbows and such, and the first press bonus bandana things) and they didn't slap a bishoujo picture of Belarus on the cover of the box sets and try to pass the show off as something it wasn't (as certain R1 companies have done in the past). Hetalia isn't only something fans of bishounen can enjoy, even if it is the dominant audience. There have also been weird cases where a show which was aimed at one group in Japan has been embraced by others overseas. I have lost count of how many people have told me I should like Love Hina, Ah My Goddess or Chobits "because I'm a girl" and been amazed that I find all three boring for obvious (to me) reasons.

It's true that Manga's PR people don't tend to come across as terribly professional, but it's also true that what works in Japan isn't necessarily going to work here, and for whatever reasons Manga's strategies tend to pay off in this country. They've been dominant for years, even before this current phase where they started grabbing all the hot selling shounen stuff they could lay their hands on. I don't personally like the way they rant on Twitter about people importing whilst completely folding when it comes to bringing reasonable incentives to buy locally, but I have to admit they must be doing something right overall.

Fairy Tail should be a hot seller, though I am not going to pick it up (from any region) myself at this stage. It will be interesting if Funi manage to get out 48 episodes this year on DVD though; presumably that would be 4 sets initially and I hope some of their other shows get some of the fast track treatment too!

R

daichi383 said:
Ryu Shoji said:
I'd put money on Travis Willingham voicing Gray.
From all the stuff i've heard him in, his voice is a tad too deep for gray :wink:

My guesses for the leads:
Lucy - Cherami leigh (thats who i'd personally like to hear)
Erza - Stephenie Young or Luci Christian (both would be fine)
Happy - Brina Palencia (the only one who could pull it off)
Gray - Jason Liebrecht, Josh Grelle or Eric Vale (not too sure about this one)
And he wasn't too deep for Kanda? I'd expect that due to Gray somewhat resembling Roy Mustang (somewhat), and FUNi will probably want to have a reminder of Allen-Kanda, although Natsu-Gray isn't as...boring.

That reminds me - wtf are they going to do with Happy? It's going to be like a Lord Death (Soul Eater) scenario - the Japanese voice will be so good any other will seem crap.

Fairy Tail seems to be too big of a series for Manga UK to want to risk the costs of releasing a Blu-Ray *looks at Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood*.

CloudedMinds said:
Well since Funimation have also announced a bluray version, i very much doubt Manga will do the same. Guess i'll be importing then :roll:

I'm hoping it will be region free like dragonball kai is...

link2link8 said:
CloudedMinds said:
Well since Funimation have also announced a bluray version, i very much doubt Manga will do the same. Guess i'll be importing then :roll:

I'm hoping it will be region free like dragonball kai is...
they only A/B series (they're still locked) where no one has licenesed them in region B. Manga have, so it should be locked A.

Reaper gI said:
they only A/B series (they're still locked) where no one has licenesed them in region B. Manga have, so it should be locked A.

That's not true at all.

They release AB series whenever they have the license to do so.
They're upcoming Dance in the Vampire Bund release is AB according to the packaging. Even though Manga has that.

MikeP said:
Reaper gI said:

That's not true at all.

They release AB series whenever they have the license to do so.
They're upcoming Dance in the Vampire Bund release is AB according to the packaging. Even though Manga has that.
Manga don't have Bund here, FUNi do (else they wouldn't have the streaming rights), they just distro through Manga.
It's more if someone in France gets the title before FUNi.

True, but Funi still has to have the license to release in Region B.

Its not that they region lock because someone else has the license, its that they region lock because they don't have it.

Using the existence or lack of a Region B distributor isn't the most useful judge for whether a release will be A/B.

Although in this case I would expect Fairy Tail to be Region A. As Manga revealed their licensing of the series at a very early stage in comparison to Funi's announcement.

I'm not massively excited for a Funi BD release of a show that was DVD only in Japan. It's not that I don't have any trust in Funi, it's more... I have a large amount of distrust.

Back