Expo Licensing Stuffs

Paradox295 said:
Syfy and Horror Channel would be the channels I would guess would be the best fit.

Also, none of those shows would work. You need the type of shows that did well on Adult Swim. eg: Bebop, FLCL, GitS, Champloo etc.

Anything that limits an audience with a subscription model will defeat the purpose of attracting new blood.

And as for those shows, what are the current equivalents? No one in the English speaking world wants to touch Michiko to Hatchin, and that's the only one that I can think of. The point is that you need something that is divorced from viewers' expectations of traditional anime. Something that hooks them first, and then gets them asking what they are watching...

Just Passing Through said:
Anything that limits an audience with a subscription model will defeat the purpose of attracting new blood.

And as for those shows, what are the current equivalents? No one in the English speaking world wants to touch Michiko to Hatchin, and that's the only one that I can think of. The point is that you need something that is divorced from viewers' expectations of traditional anime. Something that hooks them first, and then gets them asking what they are watching...
So anything except heavy fan service and shounen will do. General perception is tiny (Sailor Moon DBZ, Pokemon, Urotsukidoji).

Was thinking Tatami Galaxy, Bakemonogatari etc. or (pre Eden of the East) noitaminA (i.e. actual shoujo)

How's BBC 4 doing with the vacuum created by loss of foreign drama.??

Just Passing Through said:
Paradox295 said:
Syfy and Horror Channel would be the channels I would guess would be the best fit.

Also, none of those shows would work. You need the type of shows that did well on Adult Swim. eg: Bebop, FLCL, GitS, Champloo etc.

No it won't. Two and a Half Men is pretty popular, and that only gets aired on Comedy Central.

Plus, people who only have Freeview are much less likely to be watching anime, and more likely the types who only stick to X Factors and Strictly Come Dancings.

As for recent stuff, Panty and Stocking w/ Garterbelt, Steins;Gate and Tiger & Bunny are Adult Swim-my shows from the past year.

Paradox295 said:
Plus, people who only have Freeview are much less likely to be watching anime, and more likely the types who only stick to X Factors and Strictly Come Dancings.
I resent that accusation as strongly as it is possible to resent something. Personally I'd rather spend £20 a month on DVDs I'll actually watch rather than a million more channels I won't. Hardly anyone I know has satellite TV and hardly anyone I know likes crappy reality shows. That little rant aside, American sitcoms don't exactly have the image problem anime does. Nobody outside the fandom thinks it's weird to recommend "That show with Charlie Sheen" to their friends but they'd probably stop themselves from recommending "That Japanese cartoon".

ayase said:
Paradox295 said:
I resent that accusation as strongly as it is possible to resent something. Personally I'd rather spend £20 a month on DVDs I'll actually watch rather than a million more channels I won't. Hardly anyone I know has satellite TV and hardly anyone I know likes crappy reality shows. That little rant aside, American sitcoms don't exactly have the image problem anime does. Nobody outside the fandom thinks it's weird to recommend "That show with Charlie Sheen" to their friends but they'd probably stop themselves from recommending "That Japanese cartoon".
Yeah, you come under "People who would rather buy DVDs than watch TV", so you're also not in the target audience.

But, yeah, most people don't watch shows recommended through word of mouth. The majority of shows get their audience from trailers during similar shows.

So, if advertising How I Met Your Mother during Freinds works, surely advertising FMA and Bebop during Buffy and Smallville would work.

Paradox295 said:
No it won't. Two and a Half Men is pretty popular, and that only gets aired on Comedy Central.

Umm, actually it's on Viva. Although I thoroughly resent having to even be aware of a channel such as Viva as it's against everything I stand for :p

but it is the ony place to watch Two and a Half Men/ Fresh Prince on freeview so I put up with it.

I would also like to resent that statement as I have never watched a reality show by choice. With the possible exception of the Apprentice and Dragon's Den and I'm not sure they're the same...

Admittedly I don't watch a whole bunch of TV, generally only comedy, movies and american imports like Walking Dead. I really hope Boardwalk Empire makes it over to freeview.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Paradox295 said:

Umm, actually it's on Viva. Although I thoroughly resent having to even be aware of a channel such as Viva as it's against everything I stand for :p

but it is the ony place to watch Two and a Half Men/ Fresh Prince on freeview so I put up with it.

I would also like to resent that statement as I have never watched a reality show by choice. With the possible exception of the Apprentice and Dragon's Den and I'm not sure they're the same...

Admittedly I don't watch a whole bunch of TV, generally only comedy, movies and american imports like Walking Dead. I really hope Boardwalk Empire makes it over to freeview.
Ah, yeah, forgot about that.

Ok, I'll redact my previous statement.

People with Sky/Virgin Media subscriptions are more likely to watch obscure TV shows like anime than people who just have F'view.

And those who don't have Sky/Virgin and do watch obscure TV, are the crowd who would rather spend money on DVD boxsets than watch the series on TV.

Paradox295 said:
People with Sky/Virgin Media subscriptions are more likely to watch obscure TV shows like anime than people who just have F'view.

And those who don't have Sky/Virgin and do watch obscure TV, are the crowd who would rather spend money on DVD boxsets than watch the series on TV.
Point taken, but surely the idea behind showing anime on TV is to cultivate the second group as they're the ones who spend money on physical releases? I mean that's the only way anime can make money in the west surely? Unless it becomes so massively popular the TV channels can demand a premium for advertising, but I can't foresee any scenario in which that happens. All I can see Anime on TV as is a gateway drug to becoming ONE OF US.

ayase said:
Paradox295 said:

Point taken, but surely the idea behind showing anime on TV is to cultivate the second group as they're the ones who spend money on physical releases? I mean that's the only way anime can make money in the west surely? Unless it becomes so massively popular the TV channels can demand a premium for advertising, but I can't foresee any scenario in which that happens. All I can see Anime on TV as is a gateway drug to becoming ONE OF US.
No, we want to capture a third group. People who are willing to buy physical releases, but are unaware of anime because they haven't been exposed to it.

The second group finds out about shows through sites like this one.

And, yeah. We want to try and make them ONE OF US. The majority of anime fans were introuduced to it by watching Toonami etc or by someone else who did.

I don't quite see how this "third group"
People who are willing to buy physical releases, but are unaware of anime because they haven't been exposed to it.
is any different to the "second group"
the crowd who would rather spend money on DVD boxsets than watch the series on TV.
from your previous post. You didn't say anything about them being aware of anime, and yeah, I was kinda already under the assumption that the whole idea of anime on TV is to target people who aren't already fans. I just think it makes more sense to target people who in the long term are going to become buyers rather than viewers, given that anime is never likely to be popular enough generate advertising revenue. So actually, I don't even know what we're disagreeing about here!

Back