Expo Licenses & News

Joshawott said:
Madoka Magica is DVD only
Boooo. Oh well, at least that alleviates any guilt I felt over importing.

And I almost fell off my chair in surprise when I read that MVM and Madman had shared costs AND the same print run of the Broken Blade BD. It's not like UK distributors to be so pragmatic about such things!

fabricatedlunatic said:
Joshawott said:

I'm sure Manga UK will be "very happy" to hear that. I'm sorry but why can't anyone here just be happy the UK is even getting a series like this on DVD at all. I mean let's face it, anime on UK Blu Ray is a failure right now

Invisible Crane said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
Joshawott said:

I'm sure Manga UK will be "very happy" to hear that. I'm sorry but why can't anyone here just be happy the UK is even getting a series like this on DVD at all. I mean let's face it, anime on UK Blu Ray is a failure right now

I bought a Blu-ray player because I want to watch Blu-rays.

Anyway, Manga Corrected themselves

Let me correct that. Gintama Movie is DVD only. Madoka series box on BD is very likely too.

Given the Gintama movie is a lot of cropped TV footage with a bit of new animation, that isn't too much of a loss.

Even though I own Aniplex's first 2 LE volumes (with the third on pre-order), I will probably still pick up Manga's release for casual watching, while using Aniplex's as more of a collectors item.

Interesting. But I wish they'd give a straight yes or no so I could decide whether or not to import the remaining two volumes from Australia.

Going back to MVM for a minute, that is a slightly disappointing line-up. Merry has always been of interest, though, so I'll probably have that.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Going back to MVM for a minute, that is a slightly disappointing line-up. Merry has always been of interest, though, so I'll probably have that.

Really?

For the first time for a long long time at an Expo, MVM have had more new announcements than anyone else. Five new licenses.

Manga only announced 2 titles that hadn't been confirmed previously, the Gintama movie and Sengoku Basara 2.

Personally, I think MVM won this time around. Most of what MangaUK announced were release dates for titles we already know they have. Besides, MVM had Shana II and a logical blu-ray strategy.

Kazé only really having Berserk related stuff and Tiger & Bunny movie confirmation was a tad lacklustre; although it being Tiger & Bunny certainly helped pick them up!

EDIT:
Regarding Beez:
Gundam licenses are staying with Bandai. Everything else is going back to the original licensors.

Regarding Beez:

"Gundam licenses will be staying with Bandai, but all other Beez licenses have been released back to their original licensors. Currently in progress is the task of relicensing as many series as possible for the UK with other distributors. Thus, a lot of shows (such as Code Geass for example) will re-emerge once the new licenses are finalised, some of them later this year!"

Just Passing Through said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
Really?

For the first time for a long long time at an Expo, MVM have had more new announcements than anyone else. Five new licenses.
I was thinking more in terms of there being few licences of interest to me personally rather than the number of them. It's definitely good to see MVM back in the game, and I'm sure Rosario will do pretty well for them.

Dannielle said:
Strike Witches Season 2 - released 23rd July on DVD.

That's interesting, whie I know funimation have finished the dub it's on hold afaik in the states. There's no real risk of US fans importing Uk discs due to PAL but this reminds me a lot of Baka and Test Season 2 that Managa announced was coming soon, unless that was a typo for series 1.

So where are the 23 kaze shows jerome promised back in march? ********. Sb series 2 i have already brought from the us so sorry manga once again you are too slow. Nice to see mvm steal the show with their shows. Bit of a letdown really through

Isn't the Strike Witches 2 thing in America due to it being on blu-ray? As we all know what the Japanese are like with reverse importation fears.

I'll probably wait for the season 1 blu-ray to come out in America in July anyway. Only £5 more than the UK DVD-only release.

Joshawott said:
Isn't the Strike Witches 2 thing in America due to it being on blu-ray? As we all know what the Japanese are like with reverse importation fears.

I'll probably wait for the season 1 blu-ray to come out in America in July anyway. Only £5 more than the UK DVD-only release.

Yes, seems the strike witches movie coming out meant there was increased interest in Japan for the 1st and 2nd season delaying the BD release of S2 for the US.

With heavens lost property forte they had a similar situation but changed to a DvD only release, so it's odd they haven't done the same with strike witches.

I'm disappointed that there was nothing announced for Anime-on-Demand. Was hoping that at least Viz simulcast titles like Accel World and Zetman would become available. I hope something happens soon, it's turning into a joke. I always get the impression that poor Andrew seems to have been left to run it singlehandedly, can't Kaze hire some help for him?

I wonder what Bandai's plans are for Gundam then... Perhaps I was right to assume the worst when they announced that the Japanese release of AGE would have English subtitles? If that really is their plan for future releases (the rebirth of the Honneamise label?) I'd be interested to know the sales figures for the Unicorn BDs outside of Japan.

And I have to echo Fabio's thoughts on MVM. It's nice that they're apparently back in the game, but I'm really not hyped for any of those shows.

There was a few things I saw around the Expo that were Kaze releated and I don't think were mentioned.

Princess Jellyfish - September 3rd 2012 release (CE will have a Clara Plush)

Planzet - All around the Expo and I can't remember if it was fully announced, don't remember seeing a release date.

Back