Expo Licenses & News

anime_andrew

Anime Limited Representative
Industry Representative
VoxPhantom said:
So Kaze"s panel was just 45 minutes of chat about Berserk? Disappointing.
Well to be fair it was originally billed as a Berserk panel so I had no idea what people expected. Planned to talk more on Kaze stuff when I realised Michael was ill - but as he came along I felt it'd be rude *not* to keep discussing.

Apologies to all, will do a different style one next time ;)!

Andrew
 

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
I just realised that Japan had a blu-ray boxset of Shakugan no Shana season 1 and 2 released back in September.

I certainly hope FUNimation/MVM manage to get Shana on blu-ray. I'd love a season 1 blu-ray release, but I won't hold my breath for that one though xD.
 

VoxPhantom

Stand User
kaze_andrew said:
VoxPhantom said:
So Kaze"s panel was just 45 minutes of chat about Berserk? Disappointing.
Well to be fair it was originally billed as a Berserk panel so I had no idea what people expected. Planned to talk more on Kaze stuff when I realised Michael was ill - but as he came along I felt it'd be rude *not* to keep discussing.

Apologies to all, will do a different style one next time ;)!

Andrew
It was more that the ukanime twitter was reporting it as a special Kaze panel, and heavily implied that you'd be talking about other stuff. More of a miscommunication that got my hopes up than anything else!

Nevertheless, other than the Tiger & Bunny stuff and Berserk, Kaze seemed to be very quiet in terms of announcements this time round...

Joshawott said:
I just realised that Japan had a blu-ray boxset of Shakugan no Shana season 1 and 2 released back in September.

I certainly hope FUNimation/MVM manage to get Shana on blu-ray. I'd love a season 1 blu-ray release, but I won't hold my breath for that one though xD.
By most accounts the Shana BDs for s1 and s2 were pretty badly done upscales. :?
 

Mohawk52

Thousand Master
Shana S2 is a major Plus . I will be buying that one when it's completely out. I've read some pretty bad reviews about Season 3 and final, basically calling it a copped out bag of gobshyte.
 
MrLaserSharkKH said:
It's Definitley very interesting that Broken Blade Blu-ray has actually had more presales over the DVD and this is also on places like Amazon too!, I think that's a good thing?!
According to the ANN report, MVM said that pre-orders for the Broken Blade BD have "substantially exceeded" those for the DVD. Good work, people.
 

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Mohawk52 said:
Shana S2 is a major Plus . I will be buying that one when it's completely out. I've read some pretty bad reviews about Season 3 and final, basically calling it a copped out bag of gobshyte.
The problem with Shana 3 was that towards the end, it became obvious that it had skipped some things from the light novels. I definitely felt it was handled better, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a bag of gobshyte. If I had to give it a score out of 1-10, I would probably give it a 7.

Although, the majority of the people who say they hated it, also loved the more romcom parts of season 2, which were mostly original to the anime (in that they weren't in the novels).
 

Invisible Crane

Great Teacher
fabricatedlunatic said:
MrLaserSharkKH said:
It's Definitley very interesting that Broken Blade Blu-ray has actually had more presales over the DVD and this is also on places like Amazon too!, I think that's a good thing?!
According to the ANN report, MVM said that pre-orders for the Broken Blade BD have "substantially exceeded" those for the DVD. Good work, people.
How is that possible?, I thought anime on BD was almost impossible since 90% of UK anime BD releases flop anyway
 

Cloud Strife

Vampire Ninja
Its possible simply because of the price difference between the 2 formats...for example from the AOL Site
Broken Blade
DVD Version £22.49
BluRay £25.99

Difference is £3.50

Compare that to Kaze's Samurai Girls

DVD £29.99
Bluray £39.99

Difference is £10.00

And if we compare the prices on Amazon...

Broken Blade
DVD £20.00
Bluray £25.00
=£5.00

Samurai Girls
DVD £24.49
Bluray £33.49
=£9.00

Clearly MVM have got the pricing correct and i believe that is due to the fact that they are sharing costs with Madman. Now if only Manga would follow suit....
 

ayase

State Alchemist
Samurai Girls is the most expensive Kaze/Manga BD which has been released yet though. Manga's FMA Brotherhood BDs (which flopped) were £25 on release just like Broken Blade.
 

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Brotherhood's BD release did pick up though - it just wasn't an immediate hit. Manga don't have a very good track record with waiting, only judging on first week/month sales.
 

reborn

Vampire Ninja
Joshawott said:
@reborn - I think he's saying that while Gonzo generally make good shows, R+V was not what he'd consider a good show.
Thanks.

MVM is probably due to rep.
 

ayase

State Alchemist
Joshawott said:
Brotherhood's BD release did pick up though - it just wasn't an immediate hit. Manga don't have a very good track record with waiting, only judging on first week/month sales.
But then they also went down in price massively after it became apparent they weren't going to be continued. Once they were down to six quid a set I imagine they did shift a lot faster - that's about what mine went for on eBay.
 

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
VoxPhantom said:
By most accounts the Shana BDs for s1 and s2 were pretty badly done upscales. :?
Yeah, I saw comparison pictures in another thread. There is a slight improvement, but it's not as amazing as one would expect from a blu-ray. I wonder if FUNimation will use the Japanese BD masters or upscale it themselves? Still, I'll buy their season 1 rerelease, if anything to show them that I will support the show.

Shana III will definitely be the one to look out for on BD though, I'd imagine.

ayase said:
Joshawott said:
Brotherhood's BD release did pick up though - it just wasn't an immediate hit. Manga don't have a very good track record with waiting, only judging on first week/month sales.
But then they also went down in price massively after it became apparent they weren't going to be continued. Once they were down to six quid a set I imagine they did shift a lot faster - that's about what mine went for on eBay.
Fair enough.

When FMA:B started coming out, I didn't own a blu-ray player, so I purchased it on DVD. Since buying one though, I've been a "GET EVERYTHING ON BD!" guy.
 

Ath

Pokémon Master
ayase said:
Joshawott said:
Brotherhood's BD release did pick up though - it just wasn't an immediate hit. Manga don't have a very good track record with waiting, only judging on first week/month sales.
But then they also went down in price massively after it became apparent they weren't going to be continued. Once they were down to six quid a set I imagine they did shift a lot faster - that's about what mine went for on eBay.
Since the DVDs for FMA:B were £14.99, the £10 difference between DVD and Bluray could have made a significant impact. Broken Blade being a one-off release rather than an ongoing series might be a factor as well. There was also the small matter of PlayUSA selling the US BDs for £17.99...(I took advantage of this for Part 2 after the UK BDs were cancelled)

If Panty and Stocking actually makes July 30th I will find a hat, put it on and then take my hat off to MangaUK.
 

ayase

State Alchemist
That may be the case. I can't say that I understand the mindset that thinks "well, I own a BD player and an HDTV, and this BD is a fair price but I'll get the DVD version instead because it's ten quid cheaper" though.
 

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
ayase said:
That may be the case. I can't say that I understand the mindset that thinks "well, I own a BD player and an HDTV, and this BD is a fair price but I'll get the DVD version instead because it's ten quid cheaper" though.
With me, I only got a BD player because my little brother has loads of well off friends so he wanted a HDTV like them, so now we're renting one. We had Sky until we realised it wasn't worth the money, so I realised "Why have a HD TV if we don't watch anything in HD other than news?".
 

ayase

State Alchemist
Don't get me wrong, if people don't have a BD player or really can't afford the BD then that's fair enough. But that's different to someone who does have a BD player and can afford the BD still choosing the DVD because of the price difference, which is what's being suggested and what I find a bit harder to believe.

Anyway, I'm straying from the point a bit now. It's good Broken Blade seems to be doing well on BD, that's what matters now and for the future.
 

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
I have bought a DVD over a BD even when I can easily afford the BD and have the equipment, but in those cases whether the price difference was £3 or £13 wouldn't have changed my mind; I was always picking the DVD for some specific reason beyond that. FMA may have been affected by people calculating the total cost of ownership over the series, true, but I'm not convinced many buyers think that far ahead, either.

Perhaps it's just a slight difference in the demographics both appeal to (FMA is undoubtedly more popular online, but how much of that translates into people who preorder BDs is unclear), and perhaps with FMA there was some confusion about whether the series was new or a repackaging, because remaking a successful non-vintage TV anime doesn't happen every day. MVM are also more specialist so a BD outselling a DVD on preorders (a specialist method of purchasing something in the first place) when it's being promoted most through smaller, more niche stores/publications, might make sense. Maybe. Good luck to them anyway!

Maybe one of the reps can be persuaded into revealing a general DVD:BD performance comparison for Samurai Girls if someone asks nicely.

R
 

ayase

State Alchemist
What were some of your reasons for choosing DVD over BD if you don't mind me asking Rui? The only cases in which I'd do that now are those where the BD is known to have flaws or be of poor quality.
 
Top