Evangelion vs RahXephon - The Rematch

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
valha said:
well its on the same level as evangelion i would say so if you like evangelion i bet you will like Rahxephon.

I can't really agree with that. Evangelion is a classic anime series that will be remembered for years to come; RahXephon falls short in these regards, the story and characters are slightly generic and the battles just don't have the same vivid sense of horror and excitement. Don't get me wrong, RahXephon is a fine anime series, but Evangelion is a rare type of show that transcends its genre and can be enjoyed by anyone, anywhere.

I would say that I prefer RahXephon to Evangelion in some regards, such as the visuals and the sense of mystique (plus no Shinji and Asuka! yay!) and that Eva has now become somewhat overcited, passing into legend status without looking back. I don't hesitate to say that had RahXephon came first, it would have the classic status that Eva currently, and most likely for a long time, enjoys. Don't get me wrong, Eva's a fine series, but in the way of "classics" it's often blown out of proportion.

Full Metal Panic is a good series, as shown by it's popularity, but I'll agree with nearly everyone and say that while a good, solid show, it's nothing revolutionary. The epitome of "7 out of 10," I suppose it could be called. However, it's worth watching just so you can enjoy Fumoffu! more, which works very well.

Chomolungma said:
I would say that I prefer RahXephon to Evangelion in some regards, such as the visuals and the sense of mystique (plus no Shinji and Asuka! yay!) and that Eva has now become somewhat overcited, passing into legend status without looking back. I don't hesitate to say that had RahXephon came first, it would have the classic status that Eva currently, and most likely for a long time, enjoys. Don't get me wrong, Eva's a fine series, but in the way of "classics" it's often blown out of proportion.

The first time I saw EVA I did enjoy it (although I disliked the majority of the cast and the ending) , the second time I disliked the entire cast and found it dull. RahXephon on the other hand has a far better cast thats likeable from the start (ok I didn't like Ayato, but he is far preferable to Shinji) and spend far less time whining about their emotional issues.

In my honest opinion EVA isn't a classic Just as its vaugely experimental with some weird imagery and the like at the end of the TV series dosen't make it good. To me it seems like Anno sat down and said "Allright guys, Im out of ideas, lets just make it weird and people will claim its arsty instead and thus we get off the hook! I'll go work on Mahoromantic now".

RahXephon had a good ending, a proper ending. A cast with some genuinally likable individuals in it despite their faults, and while it feels like EVA to begin with in the end both in plot, characters and obviously artwork (seeing as EVA was made in 95 that one can slide) it is in the end far superior.

Chomolungma said:

But the point is it didn't come first though, Evangelion was crafted by a genius on the brink of mental breakdown. Anno created something truely unique in the extreme conditions of his time.

RahXephon is generic of Eva. There is no denying that RahXephon is majorly influenced by Eva (to the point where some see it as a liberal rip off) and I see nothing in the artwork or characterization of RahXephon to suggest it could reflect the iconic look and devestating feel of Evangelion. A good example is the movies; RahXephon the Movie is an uninspiring and disjointed retelling of the TV series while the Evangelion movies polarized as much opinion as the TV series. It's this bravery that makes Evangelion stand out. Only the greatest shows can cause such heated debase, a geniune work of art will inspire either love or hate.

My gripe with Eva is that many people think of it as the be all and end all of anime, sometimes without having seen many other series. I think it's certainly a great, solid series that I've enjoyed watching several times, but I just cannot see why it is immortalized so much, more than any other anime.

This is going to sound horribly cruel and heartless, but what if Anno was under such mental conditions? If the director of Yugo the Negotiator was under severe mental stress, would it be lauded as great? Anno mental instability is another factor that goes towards the legend status Evangelion retains; it's possible that Anno's mental state was blown out of proportion - I can't think of many fans close enough to Anno at the time to know his state of mind as it actually was, and casting him in such a role is a way to sell copies by sympathy, build publicity and, of course, to immortalize the show as the work of a genius who battled past mental barriers to create his masterpiece. If Anno was actually in as much mental stress as he was claimed to be, I respect him upmost for making a very good anime in such a situation, but there's no way to know the situation painted is all true.

Of course, RahXephon is more than heavily influenced by Evangelion, but I see it more as refining on the formula layed down by Eva. As Mangaminx said, the "deep" aspects of Evangelion seem just like they were thrown in - again, as Mangaminx has said, like they gathered the cast in a room and told them to say obscure things.

Ok...this is coming off like I don't like Evangelion. Evangelion is certainly far far far more innovotive and unique at the time than than RahXephon, which is majorly a copycat show, but I somehow enjoy it more than Evangelion as a more well-rounded show, with a cast that I personally enjoyed more. I don't like immortalizing shows, making them untouchable; I couldn't stand the way the Evangelion Platinum releases call it the "greatest anime of all time."

I just believe that Evangelion, while, yes, a great show, doesn't deserve the status of legendary and untouchable that many place upon it, and more recent shows like RahXephon do a good job at reaching the bar it set.

Ok, I'll stop ranting now, since I'll end up sending this thread to the land of flames if I don't stop.

I just believe that Evangelion, while, yes, a great show, doesn't deserve the status of legendary and untouchable that many place upon it,

I wouldnt say that it was untouchable either, Its a great series, no doubt about it but I would say its THE BEST, mainly because overall its a good series but there is the odd completely pointless episode in it, so because of that I wouldnt say it was perfect or anything but it is a classic I guess.

Chomolungma said:
My gripe with Eva is that many people think of it as the be all and end all of anime, sometimes without having seen many other series. I think it's certainly a great, solid series that I've enjoyed watching several times, but I just cannot see why it is immortalized so much, more than any other anime.

I can reel off a few reasons. For a start, the artwork in Evangelion is instantly memorable; not in terms of detail, but the vivid color and epic scope of the massive Evangelion units is a rare and lush sight to behold. The teenage characters are painfully realistic and take the viewer on an emtoional rollercoster, each are inflicted potentially fatal flaws and a complete lack of confidence, their weaknesses (depending on how you view them) are either compelling and endearing or painful and depressing. The story mixes intruiging religious symbolism and ideas with layer after layer of conspiracy and betrayal, some accuse Anno of being too "artsy", essentially prentious, but the series delivers as an intensely personal character study. For all the mecha action and government machinations, Evangelion begins and ends with the development of Shinji. It's a lot like FLCL in these regards.

I just believe that Evangelion, while, yes, a great show, doesn't deserve the status of legendary and untouchable that many place upon it, and more recent shows like RahXephon do a good job at reaching the bar it set.

I think this is where we disagree and obviously this is just a matter of opinion. My gripe here is that I don't see RahXephon on the same level as Evangelion. It falls short in several regards; it lacks the visual refinement of Eva- I'm not filled with awe by the mecha battles. RahXephon's story is heart warming, whimsical and "nice" but Evangelion pushes the viewer into reacting with the characters, Anno refuses to hide anything. Shinji is not a hero, he is just a typical kid.

I'm not saying that Evangelion is beyond critisism, but it's better than RahXephon ;) And just to say, I really enjoyed RahXephon too and I like having a good debate.

I'll be splitting this thread by the way ;)

And the sleekness and humaness of the mecha were highly original, before Eva they were all just blocky Gundam types (no offense, I like Gundam as much as the next guy :lol: ) and without Eva the mecha in Raxhephon (from what I've seen) would be very different.

I'm just gonna go quote myself from the other topic.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
I've watched quite a lot of RahXephon and so far i've only really liked the music. I like Evangelion though, it's not one of my favourites but I really enjoyed it(especially the End of Evangelion). So far i've only watched up to episode 14 of RahXephon and i'm pretty unenthusiastic about watching anymore.

I guess it's because i'm not much of a Mecha fan. :|

I have to say that I feel that Shinji Ikari is not a 'normal' kid. And he irritates me like nothing else. :lol:

That aside, I really prefer RahXephon, for the plot, characters, and particularly the resolution. Characters in particular, since I couldn't really feel that I cared for anyone in the cast of NGE. One thing I will agree with though, is that NGE had a better design overall. I liked the style of the mecha and the combat, how it was sort of grounded in its own pseudo realism.

wow i didnt think what i said would be took this far oh well what i think.

I like RahXephon but NGE was unforgetable, I rate a show on how much i remember of it after ive watched it and the stuff that happened in evangelion and can remember, but RahXephon didnt do that for me it was good but it didnt stick in my mind.

Oh and evangelion coming on Sci-fi is one of the main reason im such a big anime fan these days so i guess that sways my option towards evangelion too :)

But i still stick by what i said about if you like evangelion you will most likey like RahXephon.

well i watched evangelion first and after hearing rahxephon is alot like Eva i desided to buy 2 dvd's and check it out

i never got past dvd 1 cause i personally hate the show

TBH Sokyuu no Fafner has more in common with Eva than rahxephon

Ryo Chan said:
TBH Sokyuu no Fafner has more in common with Eva than rahxephon
I'd agree with you there! I think the character personalities in Fafner and Eva are more similar than in Raxephon.
My main reason for purchasing Eva all those years ago is very simple; on the front cover of volume one of the VHS video, Shinji reminded me of Tenchi (Tenchi Muyo), which I had just finished watching and loved, so I bought Eva purely because Shinji and Tenchi looked the same :lol: I loved every minute of Eva, until the last 2 episodes and I don't care what mental problems the creator had, or how many people "think" they understand those 2 episodes, I hate the ending, it's unfathomable, which is what 95% of people think and is why the alternate ending was made :lol:
Fafner on the other hand has a conclusive ending, that makes sense, but still just as apocalyptic. Admittedly there's no Rei Ayanami in Fafner (or Raxephon for that matter) and we all know the influence she has had on many member of the male anime population :wink:

I do love the way that Eva has influenced so many other anime, even Brain Powered, where the creator was determined to make a happy ending Eva type story!

I think you can safely say Eva paved the way for mech anime of the future (in it's time). It was definitely a milestone, as with a lot of other genre of anime, you can pick out just where they followed a new trend. (Sailor Moon springs instantly to mind, as the mold for all future magical girl anime).

Firstly, I'll admit I haven't watched RahXephon - so cannot give any comments about it!

But since many of you are discussing the greatness of Evangelion, I'm going to put my two pence worth in and put it down a few notches!

It happened one day, on Sci-Fi channel - just finishing off an enjoyable Nadesico episode, when they annouced they would be showing an anime that was number one in the US with anime fans and one of the greatest anime hits ever!
So eventually it began!

The title sequence was quite good I thought, catchy song and well put together!
And then - there was a severely whingy boy staring at the 'unfamiliar ceiling'. Could this get any worse I thought?
Misato comes through with a few cans of beer!

And 'Monster of the week' attack NERV base? That happens in nearly every episode, instead of it dragging out - they should have done something more inventive or attack somewhere else?
What about the Psycho babble? I love psychological parts in anime if done well, like Perfect Blue and Key The Metal Idol. However in NGE, it was poorly executed - no wonder they had to re-do last two episodes (if anyone got that far) into a 'movie' aka "we admit it was crap."

Character Development? Don't make me laugh! We have whingy Shinji that's the most ungrateful boy in anime, complains at everything - I felt like putting out of his so called misery in the first episode!
Rei was the typical silent moody type and as for Asuka - well she was slightly more interesting..but another cliched character at the end of the day! I nearly forgot Misato "Let's add more Gainax fanservice" and "I've finally been de-flowered.. I hate mahself! Whutevar will my luvely Shiji-kun think of me? I've been a naughty girl, hehe." Do us viewers really care? No.
Though I have to say, Neon Genesis Evangelion did something that no other has done: Bored me to death and made me lose faith in anime in general for a time! I can see what it was trying to do, but it failed miserably in my opinion.
A great Gainax mecha anime has to be Gunbuster, more classic in everyway!
Thankfully I don't listen to other people's opinions as much as I did before - Spirited Away was another disappointment. But I'll save that rant for later!

So anyone going to recommend me RahXephon? :p
________
Honda Xr80

neptune2venus said:
Character Development? Don't make me laugh! We have whingy Shinji that's the most ungrateful boy in anime, complains at everything - I felt like putting out of his so called misery in the first episode!
There is quite a bit of character development in Eva. No-one said that they were developing likeable characters, however. Although if you hate the characters that much, it's probably not worth your time seeing them develop.

Back