Eurovision 2006

where's my cow? said:
If someone were to round up all the ABBA copycats ever made, they could conquer the world.

That's a scary thought!

I hope Lordi's win makes more countries take a similar light hearted approach in the future. Our guy from the UK took it a little too seriously, and if more people went on it just for a laugh, it'd be much more entertaining!

Seconded. More cheese metal is needed.

Janus said:
Germany's entry wasn't even european! how can you win with a song too american to be liked in mainstream europe?
I don't care if it sounded European or not, it's the taste which you like not the style of music.

Janus said:
Germany's entry wasn't even european! how can you win with a song too american to be liked in mainstream europe?
Er..Europeans like Americanized stuff. o_0 Turn the radio on in Iceland and chances are, an American tune will be playing. Go to the grocery store and you'll see tons of American products there. Also, go here for a video of the '99 Eurovision runner-up, and tell me that doesn't sound a little Americanized. ;)

Yeah, that's the Icelandic entry. Not being biased here, honest.
angel8iq.gif

And those 'idiots in raincoats' looked terrible! XD

cornixt said:
The UK entry was rap - how American can you get?
It wasn't american style rap though. He wasn't cussing the feds and cruising down the west-side with a couple of G's. He was pratting around with a bunch of Little Britain rejects... not that you'll find anyone here actually defending our entry this year. It was a bag of saggy balls.

Me & my girlfriend watched it last time (as before) and we both know it’s fixed
Certain countries will give more points than others etc
Waste of time really - just camp crap

It looks like Arbalest and I are the only people still here from this thread's original glory days - I wonder if all the others are still huge Eurovision fans.

Just actually read the thread. This was probably the only time I voted on Eurovision.
I haven't watched it for about 5 years now.
Who remembers the winner:

Who remembers the winner:
Cripes, I remember seeing the repeat performance of that at the end after the results. 😅

Was that really 2006? Wow. To be honest, I've boycotted Eurovision ever since the bitterly disappointing 2007 result*. This is clearly what should have won:

Absolute robbery, I tell you. I'm still annoyed about it to this day†.

It looks like Arbalest and I are the only people still here from this thread's original glory days
Man, I wasn't even born then. (As a user on AUKN, I mean.)

*Not actually true; I just wanted an excuse to drop the video in. 😛

†Worryingly, possibly partially true? 🤔

Man, I wasn't even born then. (As a user on AUKN, I mean.)
The forum was a lot more active in those days (a thread about Eurovision got to four pages!) - but TBH, there were definitely more arrogant/snobby people around then (if you can imagine that from anime fans). I think AUKN is a nicer environment overall nowadays TBH 😅

I've probably only finished about four whole anime series since 2006 too.

Back