Eternal Sonata

Salsa's voice (playing it in english cause I heard the dubs are good) annoyed me at first, but I kind of got used to it, but occansionally its gets on my nerves. I don't like Viola at all because of her combat, and I gotta say Chopin is my favourite character, he looks awsome in the game.

Just popping in to say that I'm speaking to Atari at the moment and they're offering us review copies of the game. Obviously, I'm not a gamer, and I don't think anyone on our current writing team is either, so I was wondering if any of you guys would like to review it for Anime UK News? If so, send me a PM and we'll chat :)

A reviewer hmm? I'd give it a shot but my english is not up to the task, for those of you that are good with the words, snap up the chance, Sonata is a beatiful game, although I'm beginning to think to the story is lacking some what, but I'm only 5 hours or so into the game which is about 40 hours in total.

I'm about 4 hours into it at the moment, i swear that i've heard some of the dub voices before though, especially Count Forte but i didn't recognise any of the names that were appeared on the cast list before the title came on. Still so far i like the game, not sure if i will complete it all in one go like

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my 360 a few weeks back with Blue Dragon and thought it was quite a traditional Jrpg, and specifically something i'd played alot of before. Although Blue dragon looks very pretty and seems a bit stretched out (over 3 dvds!). But overall its a solid game for any RPG fans.

So after giving Blue Dragon a spin i immediately bought eternal sonata, hearing that Aya Hirano did the voice of polka.. AND the game had a japanese language option.

I originally gave a brief summery of the game on my blog and seemed to be ecstatic with the game. Now I can now say that this game is superb for any otaku but there are a few problems. All the reviews i've read on the main game sites have given eternal sonata average views because if restraints with camera work and the some what repetitive fighting style. But have to disagree with some of the reviewers stance on the game as he fighting style is like a breath of fresh air to anyone who's played turn based RPG's for years. As for the camera angles..i can understand their frustration with the game and adding an option to rotate the camera would have added another level of detail to the game.

I think that eternal sonata is currently one of the best RPG's for the 360 to date and if you really cant decide to pick up eternal sonata or blue dragon try the demos or buy both ^___^

thund3r said:
I bought my 360 a few weeks back with Blue Dragon and thought it was quite a traditional Jrpg, and specifically something i'd played alot of before. Although Blue dragon looks very pretty and seems a bit stretched out (over 3 dvds!). But overall its a solid game for any RPG fans.

It's actually not that long for an RPG, around 40 hours. The aesthetics are what makes the game three discs long.

I'd just like to point out a feature which is terribly overlooked in this game. It's nothing ground breaking, but I thought it would at least be noteworthy to some of you out there. Those of you who have the demo or full game can go into the options and set up your other characters to be controlled by up to four players. This means that if you have a brother/sister who's nagging you to have a go or a friend who's watching you play, bored to death, set them up for the second controller and kick some cell-shaded ass together.

I haven't had chance to try that feature out, though i might give it a test try when i begin the second playthrough. I completed this game on sunday night, and i got to say there was a few things in that game i didn't see coming, though i did miss a lot of stuff out by accident.

I love this game. But, I seem to have neglected it slightly with the shower of games I have bought since (Naruto, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect) but I am going to try complete it. My current play time is 16 hours, and I love the characters. I think that Viola is great as she does massive damage at long range, and has the best healing move I have seen so far.

Although, I am confused at what the game declares as magic...

Neriek said:
Although, I am confused at what the game declares as magic...

It's probably best not to ask that question :p I agree about Viola , for a while she was my best but then she dropped to being one of my second tier characters. Allergretto ended up being my joint best with Jazz with Frederic close behind. I have been meaning to start the second playthrough but i think i'll wait till one of my friend's come home for xmas, i've been trying to make him go out and get this game for a while now.

I got to nearly the end, then stopped playing. But so far its been one of my favorite games. May try to finish it once these exams finish.

Espy, i have to agree with all your comments you made about the ending, i was expecting a lot more which is a shame because up to that the plot was making sense and i was hoping that there was a good reason as to why polka threw herself of a cliff at the begining of the game and why her lucky stone kept coming back. I was also kinda hoping that in the new game+ there was a different ending and maybe a new set of bosses that would explain the whole story but so far i can't find any differences at all. I liked this game a lot and i would still recommend it but to be honest i haven't been this confused with an ending since Eva :?

I just had a glance at the GameFAQs boards, and a few upperclass citizens are discussing the moral implications of the ending and constantly using the word allegory. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate confusing endings, but this one just came out as a confusing mess - unprofessionally done and nonsensical.

Back