Eternal Sonata

Nemphtis

Hunter
Also known as Trusty Bell in Japan, but we're not in Japan so I expect you all to call it Eternal Sonata. This game is being overshadowed by another 360 RPG going by the name of Blue Dragon. Eternal Sonata stood out for me as an RPG which had a nice battle system, very yummy visuals and an interesting subject. It's late right now so I'm not going to introduce the game with lots of details, if you are truly curious then you'll research it yourself. However, I would like to link you to the official community website for the game, which will help you see what it's all about: http://eternalsonata.namcobandaigames.com

I saw this up on Gamespot and i thought, now thats different. I wouldn't mind giving the game a go actually, it looks good and its one i think would be interesting to a few who like some classical pieces of music from Chopin.

Yay, I just got told that I'm the one who'll be reviewing this game for a certain website. Looking forward to reviewing my first J-RPG on the Xbox 360. :]

Had the demo for Eternal Sonata for a while, what I played of it was good stuff.

Remember having to make an American Xbox Live Account just to get the demo off the US Marketplace heh.

November UK release I think.

As I'm still on vacation the demo isn't something I've had a chance to play, but now I can cheer myself up knowing that I'll have the full game to review before most people. :] The battle system is something that really got me interested in the game, RPGs are dropping on my list because the battle systems seem to remain the same a lot, thus why Blue Dragon doesn't excite me as much as Eternal Sonata.

Espy said:
I'm excited about Eternal Sonata as anyone, but to be honest, the battle system just looks like a Tales game.

Which one, as I've not played them all and don't find it must like the Tales battle systems I experienced. :]

Nemphtis said:
Espy said:
I'm excited about Eternal Sonata as anyone, but to be honest, the battle system just looks like a Tales game.

Which one, as I've not played them all and don't find it must like the Tales battle systems I experienced. :]

The battle system is pretty much the same in all Tales games.

From the videos I saw, it was a 2D action battle system, which is exactly like a Tales game. But maybe there's some extra bells and whistles I'm not aware of.

Espy said:
Nemphtis said:
Espy said:

The battle system is pretty much the same in all Tales games.

From the videos I saw, it was a 2D action battle system, which is exactly like a Tales game. But maybe there's some extra bells and whistles I'm not aware of.

I get the feeling you may be confusing the battle system with another game or something, so just to be sure here's a link to gameplay footage from Eternal Sonata's battle system just for j00. Also, there are some elements you may not notice just by seeing the video, for example this is technically a turn-based battle system. Each player is given time to attack. Walking, attacking, magic, all of these take away seconds from your clock while standing still freezes time. So at heart it's a turn-based system that is trying to reach out to action.

Ah, I'd only seen short clips of the battle system now. I see how it's different.

The visuals are something else though, I don't think I've seen another game that is so dream-like.

Espy said:
Ah, I'd only seen short clips of the battle system now. I see how it's different.

The visuals are something else though, I don't think I've seen another game that is so dream-like.

Yeah, the battle system and visuals seem to be ticked, I'm just worried over the character development and storyline. After all, it's the plot that will keep you pushing onwards and the battle system that will keep you interested on the journey. :]

With this game coming out soon (friday) and the art design looking awsome I just had to revive this topic. I hated blue dragon and I love the look of this game and its got some nice music to boot, not damn Japanese rock.
Anyone else interested in this game?

I'm not really excited about it at all to be honest...not with WWE, Naruto, TH's and HSM games coming at me from all angles.

I'll probably buy it sooner or later and never complete it tho... =/

Roadie said:
With this game coming out soon (friday) and the art design looking awsome I just had to revive this topic. I hated blue dragon and I love the look of this game and its got some nice music to boot, not damn Japanese rock.
Anyone else interested in this game?

Blue Dragon's soundtrack was very good, just not up to Uematsu's other work (and only a few tracks were rocky).

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this game, but I'm saving it for Christmas. I still have Super Paper Mario and Rogue Galaxy to get through!

Blue Dragon did slightly blow, unfortunately for Mistwalker Studios. This is actually my most anticipated upcoming RPG at the moment, it's good to see a developer try something visually refreshing in the genre, plus the battle system is quite off-beat too, excuse the pun. This should keep me away from the Halo 3 ass-whoopings I've been giving and receiving these few weeks.

plus the battle system is quite off-beat too, excuse the pun

A note on that, I love how not only have they modeled some weapons around music, but the characters share names with certain music traits as well, Salsa , March and Waltz are but a few. I really like the theme they got going here, even if I don't really care much for Chopin, but I will soon enough :cry:

Roadie said:
plus the battle system is quite off-beat too, excuse the pun

A note on that, I love how not only have they modeled some weapons around music, but the characters share names with certain music traits as well, Salsa , March and Waltz are but a few. I really like the theme they got going here, even if I don't really care much for Chopin, but I will soon enough :cry:
You're pretty much their target audience anyway. This isn't a game for Chopin enthusiasts, the developers know that most people have heard about Chopin but probably couldn't pick out any of his work if they listened. Eternal Sonata hopes to be a good RPG, and enlighten you on Chopin's achievements through his life. Who says videogames can't be fun and educational? :]

Nemphtis said:
Each player is given time to attack. Walking, attacking, magic, all of these take away seconds from your clock while standing still freezes time. So at heart it's a turn-based system that is trying to reach out to action.
Similar to The early X-com games before they moved to realtime with pause and timespeed controls. I'm just curious about how the light and dark feature into it and if the music is part of the battle system.

This one flew under the radar for me until Neo gave it a gold star and reveiwed it. At first glance it doesn't look like my style, (The bright images reminded me of Children of Mana and stuff like that) but now I think I'll at least check it out, get the demo or rent it.

trumpster said:
Nemphtis said:
Each player is given time to attack. Walking, attacking, magic, all of these take away seconds from your clock while standing still freezes time. So at heart it's a turn-based system that is trying to reach out to action.
Similar to The early X-com games before they moved to realtime with pause and timespeed controls. I'm just curious about how the light and dark feature into it and if the music is part of the battle system.

This one flew under the radar for me until Neo gave it a gold star and reveiwed it. At first glance it doesn't look like my style, (The bright images reminded me of Children of Mana and stuff like that) but now I think I'll at least check it out, get the demo or rent it.

Even though I've been subscribed to Neo since the first issue, after seeing their reviews and scores for various games I've pretty much decided that a Chimp can give me better advice on what's good or bad. Reading Neo for anime or manga reviews is okay, that's their area of expertise shall we say. On a brighter note, Edge magazine gave it a 7/10 which is quite good, but I won't be picking this up until later as I have to review a couple of games for a few sites and buying it now will just be pointless seeing as I doubt I'd get a chance to play it for a few weeks at least.

LOL yeah...Neo gave FMA DS 4/5. Behave yourself Neo.

I got Eternal Sonata on Saturday anyway (I have to do something with all this money!)...a lot better than I expected.

I like it better than Blue Dragon so far...the graphics are really very nice, the battles are different to what I'm used to (but I like them a lot) and all the characters and voices are alright.

I might even actually play right through. Don't bet on it though... =/

Back