Editorial: Naruto and The Future of the UK Anime Industry

for the people who are saying "calm down"
i understand how you must feel, but this isnt about "us" this is about the future generations of anime fans. we indeed have the uncut boxsets, but i personally am not selfish enough to be happy with that.
please, before judging our anger, actually watch it! the edits made it confusing!! things DID NOT MAKE SENSE!!!
major plot sequences RIPPED OUT!!! not even replaced to make sense (like one piece) it was actually just TAKEN OUT!!!
it was an atrocity, please watch it before judging my anger!

EDIT: oh, and conan-san, right on!!!

I just can't see what all the fuss is about. It got cut; so what!? UK kids' TV has been going downhill for years in this country. That is not Jetix's fault but the fault of the censorship in this country. There are certain things that cannot and will not be shown in this country regardless of how much we bitch and whine to TV companies and such. What really needs to change is this country's policy of what it is allowed to show on TV and that is hardly going to change for a couple of thousand disgruntled anime fans.

Seriously, people need to take step back and celebrate that Naruto could even be shown in this country at all. It wouldn't have even made it onto TV in any form just a few short years back. I would rather it be on TV in a form where kids could get into it than for it not to be there at all. That really constitutes the sum of the choices we have in this matter.

What Gawyn said.

Also be greatful that you're even getting the uncut DVD's anyway. I think one of the reasons why manga picked it up was the fact it was going to be shown on Jetix. If you don't like the edited version then don't watch it. Let the kids who don't know or care that the story differs from the original watch it and bump up the ratings. Simple.

Starting online petitions and emailing them to air it uncut or just stop airing it is going over the top and pretty damn futile if you ask me.

I'm sorry since when did the uk play second fiddle to the americans and some of thier ludicrous editing standards?

Around the same time shows started to take 10 months to show up if at all?

I'm sorry, this is unaceptible because it is edited at a time slot where edits are unessasary, this has been proven with Big O and CNX's Comedy hour and to a degree, Jetix's own airing of the vison of escafolonie (SP).
There was already an edit that was avilible and they chose to tear that to shreads and that is not cricket by my standrds, it's not even football.

If it is going to be edited to One Piece standerds, let it duke it out with one piece, and not Casulty.

Ok, as I understand it there's an edited on-air version that complies with the UK TV standards (which are NOT the same as the stateside ones, as the Paranoia Agent fiasco showed to great effect) and at the same time there's an uncut version on DVD. And you STILL complain.

There's no pleasing some people I guess.

ConcreteBadger said:
Ok, as I understand it there's an edited on-air version that complies with the UK TV standards (which are NOT the same as the stateside ones, as the Paranoia Agent fiasco showed to great effect) and at the same time there's an uncut version on DVD. And you STILL complain.

There's no pleasing some people I guess.
We're complaining because there was a version which was all but ship worthy over here before Jetix went crazy with the cutting knife.

And the bbfc can also shove it whilst we're on that track.

Calm down there, Scooter. Like we keep saying you're getting worked up about nothing. so the edits suck, fair enough you're disappointed but to go off like Jetix killed your family and you demand vengance is going a bit far. It's on a kids channel and has been edited for family viewing. Deal with it.

Seriously just don't watch it and listen to this carefully because it doesn't seem to hit you very hard... Buy the uncut DVD's! They seem like a damn good deal if you're a fan. 13 episodes per set at 17.99 a pop? Ususally we only get 3, 4 or 5 episodes of a series for that much. Be happy and stop whining over hardly anything. If I liked the series then I would be pleased that even though there's a crappy version on TV I can still get the original, and from my own country for a change no less.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Calm down there, Scooter. Like we keep saying you're getting worked up about nothing. so the edits suck, fair enough you're disappointed but to go off like Jetix killed your family and you demand vengance is going a bit far. It's on a kids channel and has been edited for family viewing. Deal with it.

Seriously just don't watch it and listen to this carefully because it doesn't seem to hit you very hard... Buy the uncut DVD's! They seem like a damn good deal if you're a fan. 13 episodes per set at 17.99 a pop? Ususally we only get 3, 4 or 5 episodes of a series for that much. Be happy and stop whining over hardly anything. If I liked the series then I would be pleased that even though there's a crappy version on TV I can still get the original, and from my own country for a change no less.
Oh hit me with your Rythem....
I am buying the freaking Uncuts, alright? It's been pre-ordered on Play since it practicly got listed and if you want a shot of it just to prove it I'll be happy to oblige.

And here's what I don't get, if Jetix is so up itself to make it "Family Frendly" why not air it at 3pm or (as I keep stating) the 5pm slot that it was said to air on the epg where more people can see it otherwise I see nothing wrong with the Toonami/YTV edit and what I see is a company that has had no clue what it's been doing as far as Anime is concenred since christmas of 2003 (When Digimon Frountier didn't show).

Ryo Chan said:
if you've such a problem with UK editing, move to America

it'll probually be cheaper than getting the BFCC and jetix to change it
Yeah, but it's ofcom that regulates TV rather than BBFC. The BBFC have passed the whole uncut first boxed set for a 12 rating. There are so many different regulations for different media in this country it is very difficult to know which one you are fighting against at any one time.

I point you to sections 1.10, 1.11, 1.12 and 1.13 of ofcom's Broadcasting Code for the uner 18s. That is what Jetix were fighting against and even if they had shown it after 21:00 they still would have likely had to edit it because their channel is aimed primarily at children.

They could keep all of the violence, smoking and violent behaviour in but it would simply get pulled as soon as parents started complaining or even before that.

So what if it's on at 8 and not earlier. You keep saying you don't like this version anyway so why stress over it so much? You have your uncut version on preorder after all. It wouldn't bother me if Jetix redubbed the entire thing in Boohbah as long as I had a decent DVD on the way.

I'm only going to get wound up if these edits destroy the narrative and reduce the show to the same sub-par level of 4Kids One Piece. Naruto- if handled properly- will expand the UK community. We don't need another sanitised, soulless hack job that no one really cares about.

With regards to the whole timeslot thing, its again listed on the Sky EPG as being on at 5PM, so maybe worth seeing if it will be a repeat of yesterday's episode. Up until yesterday, it was always assumed that Naruto would be aired every day at 5PM and 8PM-- just obviously the 5PM may be a repeat of last night's premiere. So hold your horses on that one, chaps :)

Paul said:
I'm only going to get wound up if these edits destroy the narrative and reduce the show to the same sub-par level of 4Kids One Piece. Naruto- if handled properly- will expand the UK community. We don't need another sanitised, soulless hack job that no one really cares about.

With regards to the whole timeslot thing, its again listed on the Sky EPG as being on at 5PM, so maybe worth seeing if it will be a repeat of yesterday's episode. Up until yesterday, it was always assumed that Naruto would be aired every day at 5PM and 8PM-- just obviously the 5PM may be a repeat of last night's premiere. So hold your horses on that one, chaps :)
Well, once you get to the bridge arc, it'll be like watching it on a pentium 2 pc it's going to be so damned chopy.

And I would of liked abit of prewarning to this nonsence, they had London expo to do it and they failed miserably to do so.

Dear Naruto watchers who were expecting a 5pm Encore:

LOLZ NO WAI!

Sincerly Jetix.

This whole endevor has officaly reached "Trainwreck" status.

8pm is hardly a graveyard slot. In fact that's the only time I feel like watching tv if I do.

Still if it's listed at 5pm then it should be on at 5pm. Maybe a few emails would actually do to ask why it's been listed twice as being on at 5pm and then wasn't shown. Some people might not bother tuning in at 8 since it wasn't shown at 5 thinking that it won't be on then either.

Back