E3 2011 official thread

Neferpitou said:
One advantage of the Wii U is it may eliminate HUD (heads-up display) from the TV screen and instead put that information on controller pad screen instead. So hopefully giving us a more Immersive experience.

Looking down at the controller in your hands to see your ammo and health is more immersive huh?

RivaOni said:
Having ammo and health count is technically less realistic anyhow :)

Yup, You load the bullets into the VR gun.... then guess how many you've got left.

And as for a healthbar you just start seeing a strange figure on the screen, the further times you get shot the figure gets more clearer. when you die the screen goes black and the figure is the grim reaper.

Might be funny.

They could bring back that vitality sensor, but have it also give you mini electric shocks that increase in strength the closer to death you are :lol:

RivaOni said:

I wasn't talking about realism, rather immersion. Some games work HUD-less, but others don't and I was just using it as an example to say that having the HUD (if one was needed) on the controller, would be more impractical if you needed an immediate look at your health/ ammo in the midst of a firefight or something. Moving your eyes slightly to the left/ right, if at all vs. looking down at your hands

Sparrowsabre7 said:
RivaOni said:

I wasn't talking about realism, rather immersion. Some games work HUD-less, but others don't and I was just using it as an example to say that having the HUD (if one was needed) on the controller, would be more impractical if you needed an immediate look at your health/ ammo in the midst of a firefight or something. Moving your eyes slightly to the left/ right, if at all vs. looking down at your hands

I said it "may" eliminate the HUD from TV screens. Not all games would benefit from this treatment as theirs never one size solution that works well for all games.

Something like 3D Zelda title would really benefit from this. I hope though you will still be to use the remote in conjunction with the Wii U. Maybe have the Wii U strapped to you arm like a shield and remote as sword would be a nice solution.

<div><div><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:moses:video:gametrailers.com:715717" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p>Tags: <a href='http://www.gametrailers.com'>GameTrailers.com</a>, <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-zelda-tech-demo-walkthrough/715717">Wii U - E3 2011: Zelda Tech Demo Walkthrough (Cam) HD</a>, <a href='http://pc.gametrailers.com/'>PC Games</a>, <a href='http://ps3.gametrailers.com/'>PlayStation 3</a>, <a href='http://xbox360.gametrailers.com/'>Xbox 360</a></p></div></div>

With FPS shooters the Motion Plus Remote & Nunchuk would be better control method anyway than the Wii U controller. I don't think theirs a necessary need for as much HUD display in FPS. It takes away from the realism and immersion that they are aiming for. Soldier don't have a helpful HUD in real life and that's what they are trying mirror in FPS after all.

They should use more visual/sound/vibration/other clues to check your character status. For example the picture becomes more blurry or the controller violent shakes in relation with the more damage you receive. You have to estimate and check your ammo regularly. Things like that would mirror real life situation better.

As I mentioned with Zelda, their may be a way to use Wii U injunction with the existing Remote & Nunchuk setup for FPS.

I can't believe that people are moaning about that. It is the most important thing to allow devs to make the best one and two player experiences they can, rather than having to fudge things because people may or may not have multiple controllers. I literally can't believe how excited I am for the WiiU, could be the first thing to genuinely change how people play games since the N64.

ilmaestro said:
I can't believe that people are moaning about that. It is the most important thing to allow devs to make the best one and two player experiences they can, rather than having to fudge things because people may or may not have multiple controllers. I literally can't believe how excited I am for the WiiU, could be the first thing to genuinely change how people play games since the N64.

Some people are being pretty dumb about it, saying that you won't be able to play multiplayer despite the videos showing wiimote compatibility. I still think it is a little silly not to enable 4 players to play with them though. Miyamoto says "we culd just adapt the 3DS to do that which is why we didn't" but not everyone wants a 3DS so it's a bit of an odd thing to say...

Nintendo's E3 show really impressed me this year. The Wii U looks great, and all the upcoming games have changed my mind about selling my 3DS. Especially looking forward to Luigi's Mansion 2 as i never played the original.

DanM said:
Nintendo's E3 show really impressed me this year. The Wii U looks great, and all the upcoming games have changed my mind about selling my 3DS. Especially looking forward to Luigi's Mansion 2 as i never played the original.

It is foolish to even consider selling your 3DS at the moment. The fact you would consider it suggests you ought not to have bought it in the first place.

Mutsumi said:
It is foolish to even consider selling your 3DS at the moment. The fact you would consider it suggests you ought not to have bought it in the first place.

I meant before E3 id considered selling it, because there wasn't any games i wanted, i was kinda underwhelmed by it, and i need money for other things. But seeing E3 changed my mind, and now im keeping it.

DanM said:
Mutsumi said:

I meant before E3 id considered selling it, because there wasn't any games i wanted, i was kinda underwhelmed by it, and i need money for other things. But seeing E3 changed my mind, and now im keeping it.

All that was available for it before E3 was known publicly before the 3DS's release, therefore you were able to know what you were letting yourself in for up to this point. Furthermore, were you to sell it now, you would just end up making a loss on your initial investment. NEVER sell a console within the first year of it's release, because it is often after the first year that the really amazing games start to appear. Sell it before then, and all you have done is wasted your money.

Also, don't let your finances get in such a way that you must even consider selling such things to afford other stuff. You'll only regret it in the long run.

And I am sorry if I came across as rude in my post before.

Yeah, a few months after launch is the absolute worst time to be selling a bit of hardware, it's always when "actual" games start coming out, and usually just after prices have dropped a little so you would have to take a big loss on it. edit: lol, simultaneous posting.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
ilmaestro said:

Some people are being pretty dumb about it, saying that you won't be able to play multiplayer despite the videos showing wiimote compatibility. I still think it is a little silly not to enable 4 players to play with them though.
The console would cost about £500 minimum, not because of wanting to buy new controllers, but because of the tech that would be required for it to process and stream that much video, never mind the potential wireless bandwidth bottleneck.

The way I see the Wii U multiplayer thing is this, millions of people have bought Wii's and multiple controllers for their Wii's, by making multiplayer games use Wii Remotes at least most people will already have multiplayer available to them for no extra cost.

People will always find a reason to complain.

RivaOni said:
The way I see the Wii U multiplayer thing is this, millions of people have bought Wii's and multiple controllers for their Wii's, by making multiplayer games use Wii Remotes at least most people will already have multiplayer available to them for no extra cost.

People will always find a reason to complain.

By extension plenty of folks had GC controllers for use on Wii, but it meant they weren't getting the full experience in some cases, I'm just concerned the same may be true for WiiU

The Wii didn't really use the Gamecube controllers for multiplayer on many games though, plus the number of Gamecube owners is clearly much much lower than Wii owners. The type of person who owned a Gamecube as also very different to the people that have adopted the Wii.

Back