E3 2011 official thread

Arbalest

黒い剣士
With E3 just around the corner(literally, next week it starts) i thought it best to start this thing up now and get what is known out there, and what we hope to see as well. So where to start? Let's go with conference times:

Monday the 6th of June

Microsoft - 9am PST 4PM GMT
EA - 12:30 PST - 7:30PM GMT
Ubisoft - 2:30Pm PST - 9:30PM GMT
Sony - 5pm PST - Midnight GMT

Tuesday the 7th of June

Nintendo 9AM PST - 4PM GMT

Now, as for what to expect:

Sony
Sony are set to apparently run their conference for 5 hours, so it'll be long. As to what to expect from it, we know they will be showcasing about 9 games for the PS3, including the most obvious Uncharted 3. They will also show off the NGP as well, since that will become it's next major headline handheld at the end of the year if things go to plan for them. Of course, after the farce of the hacking, they will probably bring about a drawn out apology, say they won't let it happen again, show compensation, and go into detail about what you can expect from them in relation to this in the future.

Microsoft
Now, from what i've seen, there isn't much to go on with them just yet, however we do know that they will be going into detail about their new disk format(1 gigabyte extra space, REJOICE(not)), and how it will apparently improve things. We will also be shown Gears of War 3, possibly a new halo from 343 studios, and a couple of other regular games. They have said that they will be showcasing a lot of new Kinect titles, as to what they are, Dance Central 2 seems to be the only one that comes to mind, and some random FPS title.
Mutsumi mentioned over in the Sony hacking thread that they may also be an announcement for a new console, though this is still very rumour-like. I wouldn't say it's out of the question, but i don't see them throwing the 360 away just yet, we'll see

Nintendo

Now for what i believe will be the big one. Nintendo have one major announcement coming our way in the shape of Project Cafe. Now we know that this console is aimed to be designed to bring in hardcore gamers again, and that it's an attempt to get 3rd party developers back into the Nintendo game, heck Rockstar have apparently already got something planned as well as Retro studios. From the preview and reports we have from the likes of RockPaperShotgun and such, the control is set to have a touch screen type thing in the middle of the controller, but is set up in a more traditional style bar that. It will be Wii BC and, the main claim of it all, it's going to be more powerful than the PS3 and 360.
Outwith Project Cafe, we should hopefully learn why the 3DS launch was a bad as it turned out to be. So many games that we where expecting to be out on launch(heres looking at you Icarus) weren't, and what to expect in the upcoming few months. We know of Zelda in 2 weeks, but where is the rest? Nintendo have a bit to answer for on this, and hopefully they will answer all.
Zelda is celebrating it's 25th anniversary this year as well, and from the latest batch of rumours, there is a chance that this will bring with it a yet new title to the franchise. which console? no idea, just have to see.

Games wise, here are a few to expect:

Batman: Arkham City
Tomb Raider
Catherine
Deus Ex: HR
Dead Island
Resident Evil titles
Forza 4
Ninja Gaiden 3
Infamous 2
Hitman Absolution
Heroes of Ruin

So yeah, i'll add more as i go

EDIT:
NgwYE.jpg

5 hours? That's too long and the press will lose interest. Cut it by half and get on with the awesome. Hopefully excitin' stuff goes down.

The problem with Nintendo saying they're going to focus on the hardcore (oh how much I hate that term) this time round is that there are plenty of games on the Wii that "hardcore" gamers can and should play, but they haven't sold well at all because of some snobbish belief that unless it features guns, HD graphics and online multiplayer its somehow not "hardcore".

**** that, give me Monster Hunter, some top notch Atlus style stuff, Suda51, try and persuade Kojima to work on something whilst balancing it with their current marketing model, much as they did for the first few years of the DS.

As for third parties, don't make me laugh, Nintendo haven't been third party friendly since they moved from the SNES to the N64, there's been a few high profile releases, but the "hardcore" buy Nintendo consoles for the Nintendo exclusives.

RivaOni said:
The problem with Nintendo saying they're going to focus on the hardcore (oh how much I hate that term) this time round is that there are plenty of games on the Wii that "hardcore" gamers can and should play, but they haven't sold well at all because of some snobbish belief that unless it features guns, HD graphics and online multiplayer its somehow not "hardcore".

**** that, give me Monster Hunter, some top notch Atlus style stuff, Suda51, try and persuade Kojima to work on something whilst balancing it with their current marketing model, much as they did for the first few years of the DS.

As for third parties, don't make me laugh, Nintendo haven't been third party friendly since they moved from the SNES to the N64, there's been a few high profile releases, but the "hardcore" buy Nintendo consoles for the Nintendo exclusives.

I think there's a difference between core and hardcore gamers which people need to realise. Core gamers are people who game frequently, i.e. more so than casuals but hardcore gamers are the ones who analyse games to the nth degree and enter smash bros tournaments and use glitch exploits and ****. Basically the kind of people I'd never want to play with :p

Also, an announcement I'm excited for: Crytek said their UK dev would announce something big at E3. Their UK developer is Free Radical Design. Timesplitters 4 plz?

Sparrowsabre7 said:
RivaOni said:

I think there's a difference between core and hardcore gamers which people need to realise. Core gamers are people who game frequently, i.e. more so than casuals but hardcore gamers are the ones who analyse games to the nth degree and enter smash bros tournaments and use glitch exploits and ****. Basically the kind of people I'd never want to play with :p

Also, an announcement I'm excited for: Crytek said their UK dev would announce something big at E3. Their UK developer is Free Radical Design. Timesplitters 4 plz?

No, its all just marketing bull and elitism really, how is someone who sinks hours and hours into JRPG's (such as myself) any different to someone who sinks the same amount of time into Call of Duty (my mate)? There isn't our tastes are just different, videogames are videogames at the end of the day. It's only really peoples believes that they somehow need to fit within a certain section/group of people in order to feel like they belong that makes us apply labels to ourselves.

I'm 27 in a few weeks, I'm getting too old for all of that "casual, core, hardcore" crap, I'm someone who adores videogames, hell I write about them on a regular basis on a site that I and two other guys set up off our own backs and out of own pockets just so that we could write about them and hopefully our enthusiasm for games we enjoy rubs off on anyone who actually reads our site.

My fiance loves all sorts of games, and often feels some kind of inferiority complex and is embarrassed to discuss certain games with certain people purely because of the labels that are applied. If she goes into work and starts talking Dragon Age with some of her fellow nurses they'll look at her as though she's wierd, but the moment she mentions Farmville they know what shes talking about, on the other hand, if she says to some of the younger porters she was playing Halo Reach co-op with me the other night (she wasn't but we have done Halo co-op before, this is just for arguments sake) they'll think thats cool (possibly) but if she mentions Farmville its "casual gamer" time. It's all designed so we can pigeonhole peoples tastes, so there's a safety barrier for human interaction and as a method for marketing teams to sell their products to people who let other people decide what they should and shouldn't be playing. (Please understand I apply this logic to all forms of entertainment, if someone likes Dan Brown, at least their ******* reading! Michael Bay movies, fair enough we all like to switch off and watch something mind melting from time to time etc).

The definition so many people regard for hardcore gamers seems to focused around high age ratings in games, so when the "hardcore audience" don't get their FPS titles which should be some MLG competitor or whatever, they deem it non hardcore and for casuals. But realistically, there isn't really a variance, or if there is, there is the "spend all day on this having no life" types and the "spending time gaming a lot, but still makes room for a life" type. I'll edit the main post when i come up with something more......sensible, realise that now, tis just a bad habit i've picked up on the hardcore bit. My meaning is different to the rest of the internet, hah.

On another note for E3, i have but one major gripe. Geoff Keighly. He's going to be dealing with the Spike TV streams and that always ruins it. He knows nothing, and still graces us with his iffy presence =/ Ah well. I'll just mute his sections, hah.

No need to edit the post, Nintendo have (stupidly as I think they've almost got a good balance with the Wii) used that terminology themselves, I just enjoy a good rant ;)

RivaOni said:
No need to edit the post, Nintendo have (stupidly as I think they've almost got a good balance with the Wii) used that terminology themselves, I just enjoy a good rant ;)

I agree, the Wii is certainly well balanced, i think what it was hit by, was the fact that so many third party companies where screwed over with it, and at the same time, it was underpowered for the generation. Maybe this time, they'll keep the balance, add in the third party support they are promising, and keep the console powered enough to match this gen, plus some, but there we go.

Oh yeah. to annoy some:

Hideo Kojima will not be at E3 Though they have something planned for it regardless, considering this site appeared earlier yesterday and with it Kojima will give a video interview for it's Pre-E3 show and such. so yeah, i'll report back on it after the timer is down.

EDIT: first two screens for FFXIII-2:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/ ... 3_full.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/ ... 5_full.jpg

Not sure for spoilers really, probably none, but i'll leave them as links only for now until someone confirms for me

I always have the utmost respect for people who can do fighting games really well. I only know one person who does them a lot but I've never seen him play so it might be the mystery of that type of gamer that makes them appealing to me.

I personally just like a good story, so... whatever. I play more than no games and less than a lot.

So, Konami's announced they'll be releaseing HD remakes of some of their classics.

There'll be a Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, with MGS 2, MGS3 and MGS Peace Walker in it, pity there's no original MGS there but its probably a little difficult to clean that game up to anything near modern standards (has anyone played it recently? It's still an amazing game, but its quite clearly dated and rather clunky).

Zone of the Enders HD Collection will have both games that were released on the home consoles (no Fist of Mars, unsurprisingly, although I loved that game).

Silent Hill HD Collection is Silent Hill 2 and 3 in HD.

All will be released for PS3 and 360 (I think I'll definetly get SH and ZoE then, although I'm going to rant about these sorts of releases in a little while) and the PS3 versions are reported to include the "Transfarring" system, which allows you to export the game to your PSP and ultimately your Vytal.

MGS Rising wont have any presence at E3, and no date was given for the release of MGS 3DS.

I'm in two minds about all these HD Collections, I think its great that other people can have the opportunity to play games I love (ICO, Shadow of the Colossus and the titles mentioned above), and I'm not one of those collectors that collects for the cash value of a game, but I can't help feeling a little cynical about the procedure and roll my eyes at the hype that surrounds their announcements. After all, I own all but one of the games that Konami is converting to the PS3 (that being Peace Walker) and have kept hold of my consoles.

Still, the chance to play Zone of the Enders 2 on my 360 set up has me rather pleased (VGA Monitor plus soem decent speakers, unlike the rest of my consoles which are hooked up to an old BEKO 20-inch CRT TV).

Bah, you beat me to it Riva. Don't take my fun away(unless you stole my tweets *glare*) =/

Hah, ah well. But yeah. Kojima also announced that he has a new game in early production, nothing to show just yet bar one thing, their new engine they are working on. They only showed a brief section of it, but they call it the "Fox Engine". Couldn't tell much on what they where aiming for with it, but they want it to be used multi-platform and in the long run "be the best engine in the world". Who knows, it might do so.

EDIT-1: Here we go people, the long awaited Tomb Raider trailer, damn it looks nice.

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RN7_8Yholm4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RN7_8Yholm4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I'M TERRIBLE, I KNOW. DOUBLE POSTING AND SUCH anyways. I thought i may as well do a post for trailers.

Soul Calibur V E3 trailer
<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SnoQG7vi5-c?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SnoQG7vi5-c?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Dark Souls story trailer
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-20 ... uls/714546

Batman: Arkham City - Catwoman trailer
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-20 ... ham/714503

yes, you can control catwoman, colour me intrigued.

SSX E3 trailer
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-ssx/714554

Spiderman: Edge of Time trailer
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-20 ... dge/714552

will add in more when i get the time, but yeah, there we go for now

LARA CROFT HAS TURNED PLASTIC!?

Arkham looks wonderful. She looks like so much fun to play as. Spidey has potential as always.

MGS and Enders HD collections? Zomg I need a PS3 nao!!

Shame the MGS collection won't include the original, but I'm pretty sure you can buy it on the PSN.

EDIT: What?? It's gonna be on the 360 aswell. Oh schweet :D

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TsTkWYPf0LM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TsTkWYPf0LM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Remember... when Final Fantasy was good?

I don't mind XIII's battle system, its kind of alright, but not so keen on what I've experienced of the characters/story thus far, but I'm only about 13 hours in. The same applied for X too come to think of it.

RivaOni said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
RivaOni said:

No, its all just marketing bull and elitism really, how is someone who sinks hours and hours into JRPG's (such as myself) any different to someone who sinks the same amount of time into Call of Duty (my mate)? There isn't our tastes are just different, videogames are videogames at the end of the day. It's only really peoples believes that they somehow need to fit within a certain section/group of people in order to feel like they belong that makes us apply labels to ourselves.

I'm 27 in a few weeks, I'm getting too old for all of that "casual, core, hardcore" crap, I'm someone who adores videogames, hell I write about them on a regular basis on a site that I and two other guys set up off our own backs and out of own pockets just so that we could write about them and hopefully our enthusiasm for games we enjoy rubs off on anyone who actually reads our site.

My fiance loves all sorts of games, and often feels some kind of inferiority complex and is embarrassed to discuss certain games with certain people purely because of the labels that are applied. If she goes into work and starts talking Dragon Age with some of her fellow nurses they'll look at her as though she's wierd, but the moment she mentions Farmville they know what shes talking about, on the other hand, if she says to some of the younger porters she was playing Halo Reach co-op with me the other night (she wasn't but we have done Halo co-op before, this is just for arguments sake) they'll think thats cool (possibly) but if she mentions Farmville its "casual gamer" time. It's all designed so we can pigeonhole peoples tastes, so there's a safety barrier for human interaction and as a method for marketing teams to sell their products to people who let other people decide what they should and shouldn't be playing. (Please understand I apply this logic to all forms of entertainment, if someone likes Dan Brown, at least their **** reading! Michael Bay movies, fair enough we all like to switch off and watch something mind melting from time to time etc).

Oh I don't think there's anything wrong with who plays what, I just commenting that "hardcore" players, as the term is used now, are just people who play more games/ sink more time into them and I think hardcore is not the right term to use. I play lots of games but I'd never say I was a "hardcore" gamer. It seems like the media doesn't even know what the term means.

Also Tomb Raider looks incredible. Never been much of a fan before, but after seeing the screens and the trailer I'm definitely interested.

Lupus said:
<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TsTkWYPf0LM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TsTkWYPf0LM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Your basing that off of a 27 second trailer? Biased much ;p XIII isn't not as bad as people make out, and they do just seem to slam it as much as they can. Sure it's most definitely flawed, but it is by no means abysmal.

Oh, the Zone of the Enders HD collection will also contain the Anubis Special Edition contents. This was content only released in japan itself, containing new VR missions, suits and so on along with more graphical updates and such. So yeah, looks like you will have even more content than before to work with.

Arbalest said:
Lupus said:

Your basing that off of a 27 second trailer? Biased much ;p XIII isn't not as bad as people make out, and they do just seem to slam it as much as they can. Sure it's most definitely flawed, but it is by no means abysmal.

Seconded. FF13 was a fantastic game, and the series as a whole is as strong as ever. 7 may have set the bar a little high to beat, but all the games of the main series since have been very good.

Back