Doctor Who - What NEXT?

Genkina Hito

映画男!!!
What next is what everybody is asking themselves...

Holy smokes! I mean… Did anybody else just see that episode of Doctor Who?

It was incredible and it had all the best elements that television should have:

Body horror, comedy, aliens, violence, cute red-headed Scottish girls and a bloomin reversal I didn’t see coming. Just epic.

British television is amongst some of the best in the world (see the June issue of Sight & Sound) but Doctor Who absolutely eclipses everything else. The beginning of this series was dodgy but it gathered strength and after episode 4, never looked back. It is by far the smartest thing on television when Simon Schama, Adam Curtis and Jonathan Meades aren’t on.

Hell, I was a Matt Smith sceptic but after meeting him and watching this series I am a convert. His performance as the Doctor is brilliant – part waspish professor part genius.

I can’t wait for the next episode!

The final episode is next week and as tribute, I’ve changed my avatar.

Now respect the DOCTOR and watch next week!

P.S.

Oh yeah, Herzog's Rescue Dawn is on BBC 2 tonight so you cultural plebeians can watch a real movie as well as some decent television.

stuart-says-yes said:
Genkina Hito said:
Holy smokes!

You took the words right out of my mouth it was amazing.

I liked how up until the last few minutes I was like, its a cyberleader , cyber leader, its definatly a cyberleader, im positively sure its a cyber leader, Holy smokes its not a cyber leader.

* Cyber leader is what I imagine the leader/ruler of the cyber men would be called.

I liked how it all made sense even after the plot twist. Btw remeber pandora's box and it makes even more sense why the doctor is on the inside and all his enemys on the out side, because the only thing left in pandora's box at the end was hope

Well spotted there, dear fellow. I totally forgot about that part of the mythology but it makes absolute sense.

Personally if Jigglypuff had jumped out of the Pandorica I would have been happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the ending was satisfying. Russell T. Davies was a genius in bringing it back but his season endings never satisfied me because I felt the stories weren’t as tight as could be or too many elements were thrown in. This finale was brilliant.

The Big Bang

Steven Moffat has the skill and the bravery to jump into different points along a characters time-line and join all of the elements together. All of the jumps in time were executed perfectly. This is typical Moffat but he has perfected it. Every part of the series so far has been expertly used.

The technology was crazy, the comedy was bang on, the emotions were there, plus there were killer lines:

“I’ve got a future, that’s nice.”
“Hello universe goodbye doctor.”

“The footprints of the never-were.”

Plus the fez was a good look.

Last edited by a moderator:
good finale, if a bit short on action (compared to other new series finales), I look forward to the xmas special and season 5.

I like the new doctor and I like the new assistant (Amy)

stuart-says-yes said:
I didn't really like doctor who as much this week, it was decent but not as epic as last week and it felt like we recovered a lot of ground we had already treaded over quite a few times previously.

It had its ups and down but it felt kind of slow and its great to give next season an underlying issue but for some reason it almost as if the tardis's explosion isn't a key issue anymore , even when it almost destroyed time and space.

Im not sure why they got rid of Russel T Davies because he always wrote the scripts to a certain minimum standard but this season has been a bit of a mixed bag especially episode 1.

RTD was good but I felt that he made the every finale too epic and thus too big to handle. This ending by con trast was well handled because it focussed on time travel and was less reliant on increasingly outrageous twists.

I also think the season improved once the Weeping Angels were included and reached a high standard of quality that never dropped.

Spitfires in Space was pretty bad but Van Gogh (invisible monster aside) was, for me, one of the best episodes ever.

I look forward to the xmas special...

Anyway the Christmas special is filming in Cardiff.

Finally watched the finale, and I have to say I preferred the penultimate episode for the tension it created... the finale felt almost light-hearted by comparison. It still worked for me though.

Well, except maybe for the major logic fail in the otherwise clever and funny time-travelling, but I'm willing to overlook that because it's just such damn good fun.

Yeah I liked the fantasy elements, a-la Indianna Jones, Stonehenge means Britain is the centre of the universe, hehe! I'm sure the doc will be ok, but I'm gonna miss this incarnation if they change actors.

I think you probably put it best there for these two episodes Genkina, they have been superb. Lask weeks episode was surprise after surprise into an OMG moment, and they both tied in the entire series perfectly, making it feel more like each episode had meaning instead of them being all episodic. I have a feeling that the theme which started in this series will continue into the christmas episode and next series too, and now that Matt Smith and Co have got themselves settled into their roles, i can only see this improve.

Back