Doctor Who Discussion

I imagine they’ll mention it in the blurb as “and see the sixth Doctor in his first adventure”. Season four, whenever that comes around, is also going to have two Hartnell stories on it but will most likely have Troughton on the cover.

Set looks lovely, diving straight into discs 5 & 6 for the new edits. The opening model shot is incredible-the best in the classic era and possibly all of Who.

I’m currently on Mindwarp. The plan is to watch the extended edits and then go back and watch the special features.

Watched the Doctors table documentary. God I do love this cast just a shame people were horrible about Colin and Bonnie until Big Finish saved them both. The Valeyard is also amazing in the sixth doctors final adventure series.

I love Colin Baker as the Doctor, he ranks highly in my rating of them.
(For reference):
1st: Sylvester McCoy
2nd: Patrick Troughton
3rd: Tom Baker
4th: Colin Baker
5th: Jon Pertwee
6th: William Hartnell
7th: Peter Davison
8th: Peter Capaldi
9th: Christopher Eccleston
10th: Matt Smith
11th: David Tennant
12th: Paul McGann (sadly haven’t really listened to audio otherwise he would be higher)
I haven’t counted John Hurt or Jodie Whittaker, the latter because I’ve still only seen their debut and therefore haven’t had a chance to really evaluate their performance as The Doctor yet.

I adore Paul McGann he plays it as someone who loves travelling just doesn't care which really works.
Especially with Big Finish's cost for all of them its much cheaper just to follow a doctor and I chose McGann as it was there "Current" doctor when it started so they usually put him in the biggest series'. Chimes of Midnight is amazing, currently 4/5 through Neverland and I love his dynamic with President Romana II.

Modern doctor who I still have a spot for David Tennant. Capaldi was underrated you can see he tried to be like Colin Bakers initially unlikable and again people hated it. Whittaker gender aside is really bad she feels unoriginal she feels like she was told to be like Tennant and Smith because Capaldi was unpopular and she feels like a cross of the both so unoriginal. I feel with a good script she could be good but 50 mins and 4 MCs its not easy to balance.

I do hope to eventually listen to some McGann audios as I hear the Eighth Doctor fares really well. Capaldi’s Doctor felt the most alien of the NuWho incarnations and that’s why I liked him so much. It’s a shame I don’t care for much of his era.

I wanted to write and articulate my thoughts about Zagreus Big Finish 40th Anniversary event release so I thought I would do it here.
Eh, im mixed on it, its not the disaster some said but its not great either its no three or five doctors. I liked the joke characters they made for some of the actors like Bonnie Langford as an evil fairy was genius best companion role they gave i would say. Its not great really having the TARDIS/Brig being evil. Rassilon was alright I guess though big change from Neverland. I found it fun in a weird way having the 5,6,7 doctors actors as different people I liked Colin as the pompous guy the best. I also liked the in jokes and Leela and Romana were great too. But lets get to main criticism Charley and the eighth Doctor weird characterisation well I would say the last 30 mins characterisation, I can accept Companions in love but then the doctor dumping them and acting like a bit of a wanker no no no, and then Charley being idiotic thinking she can help him even though she meant Romana and Leela and knows the doctor does this all the time. At least it is forcing me by its ending to buy Scherzo and onwards as this was the last one on Spotify.

I watched half of the In Conversation Matthew Sweet interview with Bonnie Langford last night before conking out and it was lovely viewing thus far. Sweet has a knack for getting the best out of his interviewees and Langford gives some great insight and perspective that was a missing presence from most of the DVD releases for stories she featured in.

Yeah I sadly missed the panels but they also announced (I think) that they now have two animation teams. Hopefully they can do a Hartnell soon.

Back