Doctor Who Discussion

I finally got around to watching the first episode of series 11 last night. It was alright though I have little incentive to watch the rest of episodes at the moment, which is unfortunate.

Aye I saw earlier on gallifrey Base. Some cool features though Gridlock doesn’t warrant me spending extra on the Steelbook. Not a fan of the artwork but I’m hoping the reverse is more akin to the traditional DVD style.

I’ll likely do what I did with POTD and wait until the dvd is fairly cheap and make do with that until I can eventually get the Blu Ray as part of the future Season Four collection.

Likewise. Cant wait to rewatch the season where Tom Baker phones in it.
I can just remember Logopolis and he has none of that speed and wit he had at the start of his run. He's good but this season has easily his worst performances

It’s clear that when JNT took over that they wanted a fresh start for a new decade. All the comedy and excess of the late Williams era is replaced with hard science fiction with some fairy tale qualities here and there. As for Baker, he was apparently unwell for some of the season which might explain why he looks frail in places.

Season 18 is one I’m keen to revisit as I don’t have strong memories of any of the stories outside of Keeper of Traken and Logopolis. I recall Full Circle being rather dark.

On a side note this release is apparently a 15, making it the first Doctor Who release to get a rating above a 12. I’d chalk that to being related to a special feature.

I feel S19 works much better as a relaunch due to its new doctor and new cast of companions basically. Yeah the Williams era got into mythology too much imo such as Nimon.

The Williams era just got a bit too silly for its own good. I don’t mind Seasons 15-17 but I’d say the Williams era is the weakest of the three (Hinchcliffe, Williams and JNT) in terms of overall enjoyment.

Season 19 was a very enjoyable revisit when it came out. I found a new appreciation for stories like Four to Doomsday which I didn’t really have on my first viewing. Time Flight was still awful though. I recall Meglos being the weakest story in Season 18 so I wonder how it’ll fare on a second viewing.

The first episode is pretty solid, but it quickly falls apart due to the cheap sets and costumes, plus whatever stereotyping was going on with the Master’s disguised magician fellow (the most pointless Master disguise which is saying something.) I feel like if they’d filmed it in a quarry then some of the sets would have fared better.

I think this was discussed in the documentary iirc, which I appreciated for going into detail as to why the story ended up as crap as it did, but didn’t necessarily treat it as such.

my season 18 status is "Sent to Warehouse" so fingers crossed get at the weekend, also
hope the next season will be announced soon

At the very least I can see the announcement being this week or next. What Season do you think it will be?

Last edited:
Well Chris Chapman who works on these releases stated a few minutes ago that it might not be for a little while yet but hey ho.

i'd like a Jon Pertwee 1, season 7 already has spearhead from space bluray release so thats 1 story ready for the set already
Season 7 would be great, although I’m not sure how much restoration work would be needed on Ambassadors of Death. It might be Season 10 as speculated so there’s still hope for a Pertwee release soon.

I think it might go 10, 17, 26 for 2019 as speculated, though 17 is a bit of a question mark in terms of certainty. I can see 2020 having a B&W season though, likely 2 or 6.

Back