Digimon Adventure tri. The Movie Chapter 5: Coexistence Review

Digimon Tri Chapter 5: Coexistence cuts the fat of previous entries as it hurtles towards its conclusion, setting up the pieces for an explosive finale

Continue reading...
That was a really interesting read @IncendiaryLemon, many thanks for sharing. I was a big Digimon fan back in the day (the original seasons 1 and 2; the 3rd was okay). I found out about Tri when I was having a nostalgia moment some time last year, when I was digging up some Digimon clips on YT. I've got to say I prefer the character animation in these Tri series - it looks more "anime" to me. The animation during the digivolution scenes took me aback at first; it does look a bit odd but then, it does tie in with the "digital" theme. I've read comments that describe Meiko as "the most stereotypically moe girl you can imagine?"- is she really so bland? I do like Meicoomon though (I love cats). I get what you mean about seemingly pointless "filler" scenes - one of the films has an onsen scene where the girls somehow end up in the boy's part to retrieve their digimon. Nothing more than comedy filler? (I admit I thought it was kind of amusing). One character I loved from the original series was Sora - I loved how strong she was and how she looked out for the younger members of the team. Mimi seems much more - outgoing now? Kind of like that stereotypical most popular American High School student. Apparently at first, Taichi is much more "aware" of his actions, and is reluctant to get involved because he doesn't want people to get hurt.

Anyway, thanks again Lemon, that was good read. I've ummed and ah'd about Adventure Tri (it's in my Amazon wish list) so, it's something I might consider at some point.

Hope you don't mind me writing this here! 😅😁

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a really interesting read @IncendiaryLemon, many thanks for sharing. I was a big Digimon fan back in the day (the original seasons 1 and 2; the 3rd was okay). I found out about Tri when I was having a nostalgia moment some time last year, when I was digging up some Digimon clips on YT. I've got to say I prefer the character animation in these
Tri series - it looks more "anime" to me. The animation during the digivolution scenes took me aback at first; it does look a bit odd but then, it does tie in with the "digital" theme. I've read comments that describe Meiko as "the most stereotypically moe girl you can imagine?"- is she really so bland? I do like Meicoomon though (I love cats). I get what you mean about seemingly pointless "filler" scenes - one of the films has an onsen scene where the girls somehow end up in the boy's part to retrieve their digimon. Nothing more than comedy filler? (I admit I thought it was kind of amusing). One character I loved from the original series was Sora - I loved how strong she was and how she looked out for the younger members of the team. Mimi seems much more - outgoing now? Kind of like that stereotypical most popular American High School student. Apparently at first, Taichi is much more "aware" of his actions, and is reluctant to get involved because he doesn't want people to get hurt.

Anyway, thanks again Lemon, that was good read. I've ummed and ah'd about Adventure Tri (it's in my Amazon wish list) so, it's something I might consider at some point.

Hope you don't mind me writing this here! 😅😁

I don't mind at all! Comments on reviews here seem to be rather sparse, so me and all the other writers really do appreciate any feedback. I'm just happy enough knowing people read them :p

In regards to Meiko's character, I think the description of her as bland is not entirely justified. Sure, she does start out that way, as a cutesy and meek character, but then as I mention, all the stuff with Meicoomon happens, and it starts to spiral her character as she feels guilty for the actions of her partner, so she definitely does develop. You could also say that about the second (I think, my memory sucks) movie, as Mimi tries to make her more outgoing, which has mixed results, but once again does offer a change in her character. So yeah, I wouldn't exactly write her off as bland, but maybe I'm just a sucker for moe characters...

If you're a fan of Sora, then you'll love the fourth movie, which puts her as the central character for a good chunk of the film. It really explores that theme of motherhood you mentioned, how Sora is always the maternal figure of the group, but what happens when Sora herself is in need of such a figure? It's really interesting!

I'd definitely recommend you look into watching the Tri franchise if you were a fan of the original at all back in the day, it's written specifically for those fans who are now adults, as the tone and themes have matured alongside the audience. It can be a little hit or miss, but on the whole, it's pretty great.

I don't mind at all! Comments on reviews here seem to be rather sparse, so me and all the other writers really do appreciate any feedback. I'm just happy enough knowing people read them :p

In regards to Meiko's character, I think the description of her as bland is not entirely justified. Sure, she does start out that way, as a cutesy and meek character, but then as I mention, all the stuff with Meicoomon happens, and it starts to spiral her character as she feels guilty for the actions of her partner, so she definitely does develop. You could also say that about the second (I think, my memory sucks) movie, as Mimi tries to make her more outgoing, which has mixed results, but once again does offer a change in her character. So yeah, I wouldn't exactly write her off as bland, but maybe I'm just a sucker for moe characters...

If you're a fan of Sora, then you'll love the fourth movie, which puts her as the central character for a good chunk of the film. It really explores that theme of motherhood you mentioned, how Sora is always the maternal figure of the group, but what happens when Sora herself is in need of such a figure? It's really interesting!

I'd definitely recommend you look into watching the Tri franchise if you were a fan of the original at all back in the day, it's written specifically for those fans who are now adults, as the tone and themes have matured alongside the audience. It can be a little hit or miss, but on the whole, it's pretty great.

You've inspired me @IncendiaryLemon, only about half an hour ago I caved and ordered the first movie. It was in my wish list anyway as something I really was considering, and it really was a great series for me back in the day. I loved the characters for their different traits, but I also loved the design of their monster partners. At first I resented it as a Pokemon rip off, but I watched it and was hooked instantly.

I guess from what I know of the definition of the word "moe" - is it a word that means pretty/cute? Meiko fits that description for me, and personally I kind of like her more reserved and shy nature since some of the other characters are much more outgoing. I also really love how Mimi takes her "under her wing" so to speak and kind of brings her out of her shell (I love how she calls her "Mei-Mei" too). I think some comments I remember reading were of how she "looks" bland, and how she could just blend into the background as being just your average "moe-looking" anime girl, but I disagree - I do really like her design, and there's a really touching scene (that actually had me close to tears) whereby in a flashback, Meicoomon smashes a glass and Meiko quickly warns her not to touch in case she hurts herself, and in the process, she hurts her finger, which causes Meicoomon to panic. Meiko tells her that it's "daijoubu desu", with a reassuring wink, and I just thought that was such a sweet little scene, especially when you see Meicoomon just running onto Meiko's arms saying "I love you Mei", so I think she really is a caring character just based on that. It will be interesting to see though, definitely!

Sora's character for me reminds me of my own in a way. I used to look out for younger colleagues when I worked at Debenhams years ago and became something of a "mother hen" (I don't really like the term but it's the best one I can think of) 😅, so I can certainly identify with that aspect of her character, and how she really tries to be strong for other member's of the group. So often as well, she was the voice of reason, especially when it involved Taichi recklessly running into situations without thinking them through. On that note, I think that's why I'd be interested to see his character too - he used to be so impulsive, and I think he's become so much more aware of that now.

I think you've hit the nail there though, as I really do believe that it's why the franchise has been revived the way it has. It's an opportunity for the older fans to rediscover a part of their childhood, and it is a nostalgic one for me personally (especially when you consider that most of my childhood is worth forgetting about). The animation has matured somewhat, so it gives the series a whole new feel, which I think would appeal to older fans, but they're still the old "chosen children" we remember from times gone by. I love the fact that they've stuck with the songs that were used in the original Japanese version (as opposed to that "Digimon are the champions rubbish).

Personally, I'm not expecting anything totally fantastic if I'm honest, but from a nostalgic perspective and the chance to rediscover something I really enjoyed back in the day, I'd definitely be up for checking it out! Plus, @Neil.T might like to see it someday as well!

Many thanks again dude :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm up for that. ☺️

I've never actually seen any Digimon. 🤔
Then you're a numpty! 😂 🤣 😃 😄 😅 😆

It'd be great fun to watch with you some day :) I'm trying to actually think right now which one of the chosen children you're most like in character. I guess you're a mixture of all the male ones 😅 😆 (Izzy is pretty practical and tactically minded, Jou is a hard-working and studious, Yamato is cool and rebellious, Takeru is sweet-natured and a gent, and Taichi is a dorky leader).

This is the best description I found of moe:

Moe is when your heart gets a boner.
Moe is a personal feeling, thus you could find whatever you want moe

So someone who likes mech shows and buys merch would be moe for mech and @Girls wIth Guns is moe for erm girls with guns. It's become associated with the SOL CGDCT type of shows just because they are the most popular types of show with people likely to buy merchandise. This comes from K-On as it was a massive hit and many similar shows tried to copy the formula/character designs.

Most of this is "borrowed" from this Gigguk video:

This is the best description I found of moe:

So someone who likes mech shows and buys merch would be moe for mech and @Girls wIth Guns is moe for erm girls with guns. It's become associated with the SOL CGDCT type of shows just because they are the most popular types of show with people likely to buy merchandise. This comes from K-On as it was a massive hit and many similar shows tried to copy the formula/character designs.

Most of this is "borrowed" from this Gigguk video:
I sat through the entirity of that; I laughed at "moe blob". I think that would be the best description as to what commenters were saying about Meiko then - that she was just your bland "moe girl for the sake of having a typically moe-type character", but without having any typically moe traits. Or maybe that she was too "stereotypically moe" and it was just too predictable and flat?

Personally I like the look of her, and I like what I've seen of her in the clips. I mean, I actually like her plain looks; I'm a plain-jane myself and she's just very no-frills in that sense - some characters don't need to be over-the-top or have any specific "moe traits" I suppose. Meicoomon is far from plain anyway so they balance each other out! 😄 😅 Some characters rely on other supporting characters to kind of prop them up in that sense - not necessarily in a negative way, especially when you consider that Digimon has a big cast of important characters who are relevant to the plot...But, some characters "bounce off" of others if that makes sense. Mei really does come out a bit more in her interactions with Mimi - I think in one bit she genuinelly makes an effort to do some sort of cheer routine, and she actually inspires Mimi to do it (who by that point had given up because of other classmates making comments or something).

Will be very interesting to see the characters portrayed in this series :)

I forgot to ask as well @IncendiaryLemon. It says they're movies - is that the case or are they like a series of mini-movies (like 3 half hour ish episodes per disk)? It says the runtime is 96 minutes.

I sat through the entirity of that; I laughed at "moe blob". I think that would be the best description as to what commenters were saying about Meiko then - that she was just your bland "moe girl for the sake of having a typically moe-type character", but without having any typically moe traits. Or maybe that she was too "stereotypically moe" and it was just too predictable and flat?

Personally I like the look of her, and I like what I've seen of her in the clips. I mean, I actually like her plain looks; I'm a plain-jane myself and she's just very no-frills in that sense - some characters don't need to be over-the-top or have any specific "moe traits" I suppose. Meicoomon is far from plain anyway so they balance each other out! 😄 😅 Some characters rely on other supporting characters to kind of prop them up in that sense - not necessarily in a negative way, especially when you consider that Digimon has a big cast of important characters who are relevant to the plot...But, some characters "bounce off" of others if that makes sense. Mei really does come out a bit more in her interactions with Mimi - I think in one bit she genuinelly makes an effort to do some sort of cheer routine, and she actually inspires Mimi to do it (who by that point had given up because of other classmates making comments or something).

Will be very interesting to see the characters portrayed in this series :)

I forgot to ask as well @IncendiaryLemon. It says they're movies - is that the case or are they like a series of mini-movies (like 3 half hour ish episodes per disk)? It says the runtime is 96 minutes.

They're full movies, about an hour and a half each.

Just looked up Meiko:
latest

Yeah, very plain-Jane and fairly naturalistic in her shape, and she's described as shy, probably the polar opposite of your "typical" moe girl who I would say is cute with more rounded look to the face with the large eyes and coloured hair and a personality that's more outgoing.

But back to the point, some people would find her attractive and thus would be moe about the plain/shy type. Looking at my current favourite characters on MAL I would say my 10 are split nearly 50/50 between quite ones and strong no-nonsense types.

Just looked up Meiko:
latest

Yeah, very plain-Jane and fairly naturalistic in her shape, and she's described as shy, probably the polar opposite of your "typical" moe girl who I would say is cute with more rounded look to the face with the large eyes and coloured hair and a personality that's more outgoing.

But back to the point, some people would find her attractive and thus would be moe about the plain/shy type. Looking at my current favourite characters on MAL I would say my 10 are split nearly 50/50 between quite ones and strong no-nonsense types.

I'm not disagreeing I just wanted an excuse to post a GIF of Tailmon shaking her head 😄 😅

Back