Deus Ex : Human Revolution PS3.. its GHOST IN THE SHELL!!

mangaman74 said:
ayase said:
My version is augmented.

And it only cost me £24.97 on pre-order. Looks like it's shot up again now.
Where from?
Amazon. It was £30 when I pre-ordered back in June (before the collectors edition had even been announced) and it must have dipped in price at some point. I see it's £45 in most places now, so I'm pretty chuffed with getting it for that price. Haven't actually recieved it yet like, but paying for delivery is so last decade.

I'm really keen to play this, but it strikes me as a little ironic that in a game centred around choice, arguably the biggest one is taken away from you; the choice to be augmented or not. That's pretty much the central plot of the game no? Seems rather funny to me that you have no choice in the matter, but I guess it'd be a lot more dull without all the perks augmentation brings, and being unwillingly augmented allows Jensen to play both sides of the coin I guess.

This is just... Fantastic. A real Deus Ex game for the 2010s. Not a rehash, not a reboot, not a rushed simplified-for-consoles sequel like Invisible War.

It's all there. The genuinely intriguing and surprising Machiavellian politics and conspiracies (often derived from actual beliefs) the creeping technological "utopia for some, dystopia for others" setting. The music. That feeling of power that you get from a proper RPG. The little nods to the sci-fi greats (check out the nameplates on the police desks). The "Fixal Fantasy XXVII" poster was a nice touch too. I love this game.

Finished the game, much what Ayase just said, the game is incredible and the endings are quite satisfying.

Played the game on normal and got the achievement "Pacifist" which is Complete the game without anyone dying by your hand, it was fun doing the game in a non-lethal way.

Might be a contender for GOTY at the moment but with all that games coming out, we will have to see.

Still it was good to see Square-Enix publish a great game for once.

Reevothemusefan said:
Played the game on normal and got the achievement "Pacifist" which is Complete the game without anyone dying by your hand, it was fun doing the game in a non-lethal way.
Ha. That was never going to happen for me.

"Oh look it's Attila the Hun, fresh from the killing fields"

I like to make sure my enemies aren't getting up again - especially if they're anti-transhuman luddites. I'm not going in guns blazing though, I'm playing like I like to play Hitman. Kill as many people as possible without anyone noticing, then pick off the rest of them one by one while they flail around trying to find where the shots from my silenced sniper rifle came from.

Edit: I hope the reason nobody else is posting in this thread is because you're all too busy playing the game.

Played a little bit of this and its great so far. The story seems good, and this has clearly taken so much inspiration from Ghost in the Shell, I like it.

ayase said:
Reevothemusefan said:
Ha. That was never going to happen for me.

"Oh look it's Attila the Hun, fresh from the killing fields"

I like to make sure my enemies aren't getting up again - especially if they're anti-transhuman luddites. I'm not going in guns blazing though, I'm playing like I like to play Hitman. Kill as many people as possible without anyone noticing, then pick off the rest of them one by one while they flail around trying to find where the shots from my silenced sniper rifle came from.

Edit: I hope the reason nobody else is posting in this thread is because you're all too busy playing the game.

Haha, I'm the same in stealth games. I always take "sneak past undetected" to mean "kill everyone but be quiet about it" :p It's just more fun that way.

Bumping this thread now because it might as well serve it's intended purpose. Please keep spoilers in tags, as I know one or two others are playing or intending to play through the game ATM.

Well, took me long enough to get round to it, but that's me done. I changed my tack a little from my previous post after realising that unconscious people don't get up again, unlike in Hitman. Also I started to feel bad about killing people who probably didn't deserve it quite so much as those who were actively out to murder me, like security guards.

So I chose David Sarif's ending. Despite the fact that he lied to and manipulated me, his vision for the future still most closely matches my own. I think people should be free to push the boundaries of science and technology without restrictive regulation based on shaky, often purely hypothetical moral arguments. Leaving humanity's future in the hands of corporate types like Sarif might seem unnerving, but if someone were to ask me "Who is doing more good for the world, US lawmakers or Bill Gates?" then I'd choose Gates without hesitation. Obviously they are interested in making money, but leaders in the tech field still seem to have far more interest in improving lives and furthering humanity than high-ups in say, banking or the oil business... or even politicians.

I'm not sure it would have been the ending Jensen would have chosen - As well as being the most moderate, I get the feeling Taggart's ending is the most canon. His doesn't damage the reputation of augmentation but regulates it (you could see why Jensen would want this after he learns of his history) and furthers the agenda of the Illuminati, which would all tie in to the original game. Darrow's ending would expose the Illuminati and put the brakes on augmentation (which we know in DE1 didn't happen) and after all the trouble he's been to I doubt Jensen would just go "f*ck it" and press the Big Red Button either (and what would be the point of destroying the Hyron Project to stop the signal that was sending the augmented people in Panchaea mad if you were ultimately going to kill them all anyway?)

All things considered I found HR a very enjoyable game, and certainly worthy of the Deus Ex name. On to The Missing Link!

Last edited by a moderator:
ayase said:
Bumping this thread now because it might as well serve it's intended purpose. Please keep spoilers in tags, as I know one or two others are playing or intending to play through the game ATM.

Well, took me long enough to get round to it, but that's me done. I changed my tack a little from my previous post after realising that unconscious people don't get up again, unlike in Hitman. Also I started to feel bad about killing people who probably didn't deserve it quite so much as those who were actively out to murder me, like security guards.

So I chose David Sarif's ending. Despite the fact that he lied to and manipulated me, his vision for the future still most closely matches my own. I think people should be free to push the boundaries of science and technology without restrictive regulation based on shaky, often purely hypothetical moral arguments. Leaving humanity's future in the hands of corporate types like Sarif might seem unnerving, but if someone were to ask me "Who is doing more good for the world, US lawmakers or Bill Gates?" then I'd choose Gates without hesitation. Obviously they are interested in making money, but leaders in the tech field still seem to have far more interest in improving lives and furthering humanity than high-ups in say, banking or the oil business... or even politicians.

I'm not sure it would have been the ending Jensen would have chosen - As well as being the most moderate, I get the feeling Taggart's ending is the most canon. His doesn't damage the reputation of augmentation but regulates it (you could see why Jensen would want this after he learns of his history) and furthers the agenda of the Illuminati, which would all tie in to the original game. Darrow's ending would expose the Illuminati and put the brakes on augmentation (which we know in DE1 didn't happen) and after all the trouble he's been to I doubt Jensen would just go "f*ck it" and press the Big Red Button either (and what would be the point of destroying the Hyron Project to stop the signal that was sending the augmented people in Panchaea mad if you were ultimately going to kill them all anyway?)

All things considered I found HR a very enjoyable game, and certainly worthy of the Deus Ex name. On to The Missing Link!

I chose Hugh Darrow's ending because I felt that Jensen would be more likely to choose that one.

I did have sympathy for Darrow's position and understood why he did what he did,
but I felt that revealing what he had done (or rather what he had been able to do) would play right into the hands of the Purity First types in that augmented people would become seen as dangerous and not to be trusted when what had happened wasn't really their fault. They had been manipulated first by the Illuminati into getting the upgrade (I didn't as I'd been listening to the Alex Jones-alike radio host too much to trust it, which produced one of the more satisfying moments of the game: "Been to a LIMB clinic recently, Mr. Jensen?" ::click:: "Was that supposed to do something?"), then by Darrow for his own agenda. Darrow was showing the potential for control, but Taggart seemed well aware that the Illuminati's control was slipping as augmentation enabled individuals to become more powerful, hence his drive for regulation.

I figured Jensen would be more likely to choose to broadcast Darrow's message because through his journey he saw the way people with augmentations had been manipulated by mega-corporations/shadowy governments/the WHO and so forth. The mercs who went on black ops missions for Belltower and had their memories manipulated was the thing that tipped the scale for me. The best protection would be the utter truth so people can make their own decisions.

I totally walked into the LIMB clinic without questioning whether I should or not. I guess I was on such a high after saving Malik that I didn't think about it - great twist from the game! When I replay that section I'll have to avoid it.

I went with Darrow's ending simply because it seemed canon. I was on the fence between Darrow and Sarif when taking a personal view. I couldn't give two shits about Taggart though and the self destruct option didn't make much sense to me..

Shirayuri said:
Oooh. Jensen was cold. "Big words. You're a real poet."
He never asked for this.

MaxonTreik said:
I went with Darrow's ending simply because it seemed canon. I was on the fence between Darrow and Sarif when taking a personal view. I couldn't give two shits about Taggart though and the self destruct option didn't make much sense to me..
I think it probably speaks well of the game's shades-of-grey conspiratorial storytelling that we've been able to draw different conclusions. Have you played the first game Maxon? I'd agree that Darrow's ending would seem more canonical if there wasn't the continuity to tie in to DE1, but the exposure of the Illuminati at the end of HR would surely send the world down a completely different path. Unless that's what they intended all along so that they can make sequels which don't have to tie in to the original game...

ayase said:
MaxonTreik said:
I think it probably speaks well of the game's shades-of-grey conspiratorial storytelling that we've been able to draw different conclusions. Have you played the first game Maxon? I'd agree that Darrow's ending would seem more canonical if there wasn't the continuity to tie in to DE1, but the exposure of the Illuminati at the end of HR would surely send the world down a completely different path. Unless that's what they intended all along so that they can make sequels which don't have to tie in to the original game...
What little of Deus Ex I've played is fantastic. It might not have aged well visually but it's a joy to play.

It's been a while since I played HR, so I might be remembering things wrong, but I was under the impression that the big restrictions on augmentations that would appear as a result of choosing Darrow would force scientists into thinking of alternatives. In other words, the nanomachines in Deus Ex. That's where my thinking of it being canon comes from. Since I haven't played much of Deus Ex I wouldn't know if choosing Sarif, Taggart or the Disco Inferno are possibly canon.

That's one way of looking at it I suppose, I hadn't really considered that angle. I would have presumed that nano-augmentation and mechanical augmentation would have fallen under the same banner, thus choosing Darrow's ending would have stunted the growth of both. While I wouldn't have picked it myself, Taggart's ending enables research to carry on but with heavy regulation, keeping the Illuminati in a position of power over most biotech companies like Sarif, while Bob Page carries on conducting his research in secret (as seen in the HR very end cutscene). This in turn enables him to make those "advances in areas they refuse to consider" mentioned in the DE1 intro, and ultimately brings Page Industries to the powerful position it occupies in DE1.

Back