Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Early HD shows from the mid 2000s were animated at mixed frame rates, especially in shows with CG content. Back then CG elements were animated at 60Hz, 30fps. When that is converted to 24fps for 1080p presentation, it means dropped frames and ghosting, and even judder. That's why some people were keener on the Korean 1080i Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex sets than Manga's release.
You learn something new everyday

Currently review the Blu-Ray Evangelion release (standard edition). On Episode 18, when it goes to the preview for Episode 19, it uses unrestored footage.

I'd actually consider that a bonus feature, as it allows you to see how much better the restored video actually is... But I skip over all the OP, ED, credits, and previews with the remote when I marathon my anime, so I would have never noticed that preview issue anyway. 😶

On Episode 18, when it goes to the preview for Episode 19, it uses unrestored footage.
That would perhaps relate to this:

A minor problem that was encountered in creating the remastered Renewal [Platinum Edition] DVDs was that for some scenes from Episode 16 (as well as the preview segments at the end of episodes) the original 16 mm negatives from the development laboratory were lost, thus the scenes were remastered using a 35 mm internegative, to approximate the original.

There's a very minor issue with the subtitling in Penguindrum. Dialogue that should easily fit into two lines is quite frequently being split into three, and occasionally four. Don't think I've seen anything like it before and doesn't seem deliberate.

Still, pleased to say the subtitling is a big improvement over Khazi's woeful DVD effort.

They probably do that on purpose, limiting the width of each line of text to something less than half the width of the screen, to make it so your eyes don't have to scan the whole way across the screen. That actually makes it faster to speed-read. I don't care for the idea of four lines of text, though, as it starts to cover up too much of the video. But if it only occurs a few times, that's not too bad.

Still waiting for my Penguindrum CE to get here to the US from AOL, it shipped out on the 10th, so it hopefully will arrive here sometime next week, before Christmas if no big delays.

I've never understood why the blu-ray spec doesn't support 1080p at 25 or 30 fps. It's such a bizarre omission.
It does, but you have to interlace the footage from 25p to 50i then flag the video as progressive before encoding. Cheap blu-ray players will bob the video to 50p while some more advanced ones will "understand" and blend the fields to get the expected 25p.

One Piece Collection 24.

From disc 3, Season 10 Voyage One, the subtitles and audio are locked during playback.

Disc 3's subtitles are a deep red for some strange reason, harder to read. The other three discs have the proper white subtitles.

One Piece Collection 24.

From disc 3, Season 10 Voyage One, the subtitles and audio are locked during playback.

Disc 3's subtitles are a deep red for some strange reason, harder to read. The other three discs have the proper white subtitles.
Interesting regarding the subtitle locking as, if I'm correct, Toei doesn't normally enforce subtitle locking.

Kakegurui - I'm not sure if this is player specific, but there is a glitch on the menu on disc 2. Particularly the Special Features section. When you choose "Special Features", it comes up empty, so all you're seeing is the static menu image (with the OP playing as normal), but the extras themselves work fine. You have to try and guess which extra you're choosing, which consists of (none are listed on the info sheet):
  • Textless OP
  • Textless ED
  • Maid Cafe Hyakkao Shorts
  • Disc Credits (when selected, they pop up without issue)
  • Also Available from Sentai (when selected, they appear listed without issue)
You can go back to the main menu without issue when pressing the "Right" key on your remote.

Seeing as Anime Limited are using Sentai's discs, there's a good chance that Sentai's release has the same issue.

Kakegurui - I'm not sure if this is player specific, but there is a glitch on the menu on disc 2. Particularly the Special Features section. When you choose "Special Features", it comes up empty, so all you're seeing is the static menu image (with the OP playing as normal), but the extras themselves work fine. You have to try and guess which extra you're choosing, which consists of (none are listed on the info sheet):
  • Textless OP
  • Textless ED
  • Maid Cafe Hyakkao Shorts
  • Disc Credits (when selected, they pop up without issue)
  • Also Available from Sentai (when selected, they appear listed without issue)
You can go back to the main menu without issue when pressing the "Right" key on your remote.

Seeing as Anime Limited are using Sentai's discs, there's a good chance that Sentai's release has the same issue.
Yep, confirmed this issue. You can work around it but it sure is annoying.

Issue found on Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat Disc 2. Won't make it past the MVM logo on startup playing on PS4. Had to force it into the top menu using the media controls.

Back