Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

On-Gaku: Our Sound has bits of unsubbed dialogue, which is pretty noticeable in one scene. There's are two instances of songs which aren't subtitled, and there's also some signs which aren't translated.

On-Gaku: Our Sound has bits of unsubbed dialogue, which is pretty noticeable in one scene. There's are two instances of songs which aren't subtitled, and there's also some signs which aren't translated.
Sh*t. And I put in my pre-order for this only yesterday. 😑

Am I allowed to suggest that AL are starting to get a little sloppy, possibly as a result of trying to do too much? Everything was subbed on the SLA Online stream of the film (albeit sometimes a little on the rough side), so why not on the finished BD? Was the time not invested in actually QC'ing the disc? Honestly this seems Manga-tier careless, and a pretty unforgivable treatment of such a great film.

I'm pretty p*ssed off after reading this.

EDIT: Comments retracted. See this post: https://forums.animeuknews.net/threads/defective-or-disappointing-uk-anime-discs.12497/post-631601

Last edited:
Sh*t. And I put in my pre-order for this only yesterday. 😑

Am I allowed to suggest that AL are starting to get a little sloppy, possibly as a result of trying to do too much? Everything was subbed on the SLA Online stream of the film (albeit sometimes a little on the rough side), so why not on the finished BD? Was the time not invested in actually QC'ing the disc? Honestly this seems Manga-tier careless, and a pretty unforgivable treatment of such a great film.

I'm pretty p*ssed off after reading this.
I'm guessing the release is based on the GKIDS/Shout Factory release, and Shout Factory tend to have that issue of not being able to display multiple lines of subtitles and signs at once with their releases.

I am sads about this was rly looking forward to watching On-Gaku (I preordered the CE)... hopefully it's not too much of an issue :/
Shame, hope it’s not too bad. I’m not bothered about song subtitles especially when they appear during an action packed scene. Wish they could be turned off

ok, so update to this, I got the Viz US Blu-Rays Set 1 and 2 and checked to see if the errors are present, the results were very surprising

apparently the UK version is a copy of the AU Hanabee version, so this applies for both, but I'll refer to it as the UK MVM version as that's the one I have and speak for both

1. the visual glitch in a couple frames in ep 24 is not present in the US Viz version
2. the sub file error in ep 13 is not present in the US Viz version
3. the audio is way higher quality and louder in the US Viz release
4. on average, episodes are 1 GB bigger in the Viz US version than UK MVM

so this is nice and well, all my complaints resolved, but I was shocked to discover the DRASTIC difference in colors in some areas, the Viz US version is so much better, I can't even believe how they made it look so bad in the UK MVM version, it's day and night, examples in the IMGUR album
Didn’t Justin Sevakis at MediaOCD encode the US discs?

Last edited:
Didn’t Justin Sevakis at MediaOCD encode the US discs?
Yes. Pretty sure the AU/UK BD is a re-encode of the discs he did for Viz so they could fit it on 2 BD50s and 2 BD25s rather than 4 BD50s.

Fairy Gone has banding issues
How severe are we talking? Appare Ranman had such severe banding that Funimation actually applied rather heavy handed debanding to it (even the JP BDs for the show are an absolute dumpster fire). It's good to a certain extent as I wouldn't mind them actually applying some post processing when it's really needed, but their approach for the title also noticeably completely wiped out detail. The German distributor handled it much better with a much more balanced approach.

Last edited:
Yes. Pretty sure the AU/UK BD is a re-encode of the discs he did for Viz so they could fit it on 2 BD50s and 2 BD25s rather than 4 BD50s.

How severe are we talking? Appare Ranman had such severe banding that Funimation actually applied rather heavy handed debanding to it (even the JP BDs for the show are an absolute dumpster fire). It's good to a certain extent as I wouldn't mind them actually applying some post processing when it's really needed, but their approach for the title also noticeably completely wiped out detail. The German distributor handled it much better with a much more balanced approach.
I noticed it in a lot of dark scenes and some in daylight scenes. Seems like a typical Funimation encode to me.

Got around to watching Planetes Blu-ray, and it has the 30fps to 24fps conversion issues that anime of that period converted to Blu-ray display. Noticeable in pans and especially CGI elements. Up to episode 7 so far, which I noticed has out of sync Japanese stereo. Surround track is okay.

Does anyone have any advice on whether I should return and repurchase any of these from Rightstuf aka US aniplex. I'm just catching up on this thread and it would be much appreciated if there's a noticeable quality difference. My UK purchases listed: UK versions of Erased, Kill la Kill, sword art season one and all of three, full metal alchemist brotherhood, Rascal bunny girl senpai, FMAB, fate Zero, Anohana, promised never land season 1. These were all UK versions not yet opened

But 1080p is the superior resolution?

Early HD shows from the mid 2000s were animated at mixed frame rates, especially in shows with CG content. Back then CG elements were animated at 60Hz, 30fps. When that is converted to 24fps for 1080p presentation, it means dropped frames and ghosting, and even judder. That's why some people were keener on the Korean 1080i Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex sets than Manga's release.

The best approach would have been to use soft-pulldown; that way you can have video with progressive encoded 23.98p/29.97p and interlaced 59.94i. Dynit/Dybex BDs of Cowboy Bebop use soft-pulldown.

Back