Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Has there been any update about the Akira 4K replacement scheme? I just got a copy today and sent in an email for the replacement but was curious if anyone has had contact about when discs could start shipping out.

Has there been any update about the Akira 4K replacement scheme? I just got a copy today and sent in an email for the replacement but was curious if anyone has had contact about when discs could start shipping out.
Not yet. The reply I got when I emailed them back when the scheme first opened said they'd contact again when they knew when the discs would be getting sent out.

The US and UK BD releases of Summer Days with Coo uses the theatrical cut, which is 138 minutes. The extended cut, which was what was on the JP BD, had an additional 3 minutes added, totalling up to 141 minutes. Dunno why it was not offered to GKids or AL. Maybe reverse importation stuff again?

Don't know if it's been mentioned but I was watching The Girl Who Leapt Through Time last night, the UK Manga DVD release, and there are multiple instances where dialogue is not subtitled. It's particularly bad in one pivotal scene near the end of the movie.

EDIT: sorry I just caught it in the OP, didn't see it previously.

According to Dynit's mp3dom:

I want to eat your pancreas have two different masters, one is the japanese version and the other one is the "international" version. The difference is in the "dream" scene close at the end of the movie. It's a different editing and you can see that Sakura's dress color is different between the two versions (orange for jp version, green for international version).

Don't think this one has been covered yet but it looks like MVM may have used the broadcast master for their release of Dream Eater Merry. Quite a few shots have been censored to follow broadcast regulations with instances of dimming and ghost frames.

Don't think this one has been covered yet but it looks like MVM may have used the broadcast master for their release of Dream Eater Merry. Quite a few shots have been censored to follow broadcast regulations with instances of dimming and ghost frames.
If that's the case, then the fault would lie with Sentai, as Hanabee used Sentai's masters and converted it to PAL for their DVD release, and MVM used Hanabee's DVDs for their release.

Speaking of Hanabee, did Hanabee's Blu-ray release of Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (of which MVM used their discs) include the Sunny Day OVA (which was included in the AoA release), as based on Just Passing Through's review of the DVD, it was missing on the DVD version?

Speaking of Hanabee, did Hanabee's Blu-ray release of Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (of which MVM used their discs) include the Sunny Day OVA (which was included in the AoA release), as based on Just Passing Through's review of the DVD, it was missing on the DVD version?
I think that OVA was Blu-ray exclusive.

No bonus features on Studio Canal's Ocean Waves blu-ray.
This wouldn't be disappointing were it not for the fact GKIDS actually included the following in the US:
. Layouts
. Looking Back: Staff Reunion
. U.S. Trailer
. The Ghiblies Episode 2

I've also read that the Ocean Waves feature only takes up 16GB, which is a bit disappointing.

Finally got this, and given it's a 73 minutes film on a barebones Blu-ray, 16GB isn't too squeezed, especially as it's been given the usual Studiocanal DNR treatment, leaving less complexity to compress. The DVD in the doubleplay is the ancient Optimum version, with evil windowboxing for overscan, but it does have the trailer that the BD doesn't have.

What did bug me is the burnt in subtitles. They're obviously in the usual Studiocanal BD subtitle font, but someone must have decided to save a few MB on the disc by burning them into the print rather than having a separate subtitle stream.

Subtitles on Persona 5 The Animation...you get strange symbols in middle and end of the subtitles every now and then. (Only just started episode 2 and already had it about half dozen times since ep 1)
View attachment 18603
I went through all the episodes subtitle tracks in SubtitleEdit, and on the plus side only Disc 1 is affected by this.
No issues in the signs track for the dub.

1619731879861.png

Last edited:
Since technically it's 'Anime' in a 'Disc' format (I might be stretching this definition a bit).

Has anyone had any issues with their copy of Evangelion Finally? My pressing seems dire, large and frequent distortions (plays out as a hiss) on disc one. Record itself doesn't look particularly warped, player is fine as I've tried it with various other stuff.

Back