Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

I agree Yellow subs are better thanks to the power of basic colour theory :p

No lie when people point this stuff out I never notice anything. I watched my Konosuba and it looks fine. I watched the MVM Fate Zero release and it looks fine. I watched the Steelbook release of Your Name and it looks fine. I honestly don't know what I am missing lol
Yeah I've also watched the releases of Fate/Zero and Your Name and many others that were criticized and they really don't bother me at all lol. Sure I can understand some cases but the vast majority seems to be the kind of thing that a lot of casual viewers won't notice. Kinda happy I don't have the eye for these things so I can actually enjoy stuff.

Another in favour of yellow subs as well. I just think they look neat : )

Last edited:
I have seen screenshots of KonoSuba episode #1 Discotek BD and Japanese BD. There isn't that much of a difference overall, but there is slightly more banding on the Discotek BD and the dither/grain pattern isn't persevered as nicely.

Discotek also has many advantages even ignoring their discs, they are cheap $25 for the UHD of Lupin let’s see ALs eventual 4Ks reach that cheap, they redo subtitles unlike someone and they try to include as many extras as they can.

Moribito Blu-Ray.

30 FPS animation on a 24 FPS transfer doesn’t go. Some jerkiness to digital CG animation elements, rare but noticeable.

Japanese audio levels pushed a little too high on episode 21, noticeable but minor distortion of high frequencies, especially with narration. (It’s the episode where Balsa tells Chagum her life story)

A few typos in the subtitles are really noticeable.

I agree Yellow subs are better thanks to the power of basic colour theory :p

No lie when people point this stuff out I never notice anything. I watched my Konosuba and it looks fine. I watched the MVM Fate Zero release and it looks fine. I watched the Steelbook release of Your Name and it looks fine. I honestly don't know what I am missing lol

Yellow subs on the Your Name steelbook? I'm a strict subber, so I guess I'll never break the seal on that one then - I have six other releases of that movie I can watch instead, lol. Even though my favorite color is yellow, I really, really dislike yellow subs, they just look like puke to me.

Yellow subs on the Your Name steelbook? I'm a strict subber, so I guess I'll never break the seal on that one then - I have six other releases of that movie I can watch instead, lol. Even though my favorite color is yellow, I really, really dislike yellow subs, they just look like puke to me.

No we were talking about Konosuba having Yellow subs. I was talking about general disc quality with that comment as people raise points where the quality is poor but I honestly don't notice it myself.

Discotek also has many advantages even ignoring their discs, they are cheap $25 for the UHD of Lupin let’s see ALs eventual 4Ks reach that cheap, they redo subtitles unlike someone and they try to include as many extras as they can.
lupin is UHD only, i didn't realise that until i looked at the cover properly

Minor annoyance but the spine of Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 1 isn't labelled as such. Part 2 is labelled Season 3 part 2. I hate inconsistency.

Season 2 must drive you up the wall.
RGlcRDKl.jpg

It turns out Manga's 4K UHD release of Akira does not have HDR, which is frankly unacceptable considering it was frequently cited as the only saving grace of the Japanese release. I'd be hoping for a replacement program if it weren't for the fact that it looks like they've shrewdly never mentioned HDR and we've just assumed that it would be.

It turns out Manga's 4K UHD release of Akira does not have HDR, which is frankly unacceptable considering it was frequently cited as the only saving grace of the Japanese release. I'd be hoping for a replacement program if it weren't for the fact that it looks like they've shrewdly never mentioned HDR and we've just assumed that it would be.
They should also add the JP 2.0 Dolby Surround mix and also do a replacement for Wicked City with UK dub.

They should also add the JP 2.0 Dolby Surround mix and also do a replacement for Wicked City with UK dub.
The new Wicked City release doesn’t have the UK dub? The main reason I preordered that was to laugh at the dub all over again. I’ll be very disappointed if it isn’t on it.

How the hell has that happened? The Funimation one does, So how have manga wound up with not having it?

Funimation's release isn't out until 22nd December last I checked, so no one is able to check the US discs. Besides they're identical last I checked.
Its HDR according to Rightstuf's prodcut description.

"The 4K disc in this combo pack is an Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc created for 4K HDR viewing. It will require a special Ultra HD 4K Blu-Ray player (will not play on a standard Blu-Ray player.) For the complete experience you'll need:

• 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (High Dynamic Range)"

Back