DARK SOULS

Beat the Hydra by sniping with arrows from a safe spot. Fought through all the areas of
Blight Town
that I could access, but couldn't find a boss. Then trekked through it all again with a pair of white phantom allies, and we still couldn't find a boss. We were invaded by an npc black phantom though.

Currently I am wearing a full set of Stone Armor (physical defence is almost 300 now), wielding a Claymore +5 (because the Black Knight Sword cannot be enchanted), a Crest Shield, and pyrohand and catalyst in the spare slots.

Encountered the boss Great Grey Wolf Sif. Didn't kill it. Also met a talking cat.

Also... One npc has killed another npc in Firelink Shrine and taken their soul, and it is up to me to invade their world to get the soul back.

Not liking the area with the ghosts where you have to use an item to be able to hit them. Worried about running out of the item, plus I get lost there sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mutsumi said:
Encountered the boss Great Grey Wolf Sif. Didn't kill it.

THIS GUY. Ugh. He is the target of my hatred tonight. I really feel like I've hit a brick wall and made no progress tonight. And here's the kicker - My incident from yesterday?

It wasn't a black phantom that killed me. It was a resident of the forest.

So I was wandering around the forest thinking "Surely there must be something I can do here..." and sure enough I found Sif. Who can just outright kick my butt if he hits me at all. Wouldn't have been so bad had I not noticed before I died that I had 19k souls on me.

So I can't kill him and the only way to save my souls is to kill him. At this point I might just have to walk away and give up those souls...and maybe go to blight town...

How do you accumulate so many souls like that without spending them on levelling? Or are you saving up for a particular expensive item?

I'm going for Blight Town this afternoon. Determined I am going to find my way through to the boss this time. I'll let you know what happens... I'll probably die.

Mutsumi said:
How do you accumulate so many souls like that without spending them on levelling? Or are you saving up for a particular expensive item?

I'm going for Blight Town this afternoon. Determined I am going to find my way through to the boss this time. I'll let you know what happens... I'll probably die.

This time was pure negligence. I had wandered around a part of the forest so much that I just kept gaining souls and never came across a bonfire. I'm starting to wonder if those homeward bones work in boss areas...Cause if so...(although this is Dark Souls here so...Surely not.) My problem is I lost humanity in a stupid incident and now I have none to human. I have no items to regen them and my souls are in Sif. The proverbial brick wall is in front of me and I need to find a way to pass it! My options at the minute are:

Blight town
The place with the ghosts that I need those cursed items
Valley Of Drakes
Soul Farming and trying not to die in the process

I have traversed Blight Town again, now with a player and another phantom. On the route down, which was different from the one I led that poor player down, I noted where 2 bonfires were. Honestly...I think I could make it. It actually feels like the best option which is kind of scary...

What is your PSN name? By pure coincidence, could you be one of the pair of white phantoms I traversed Blight Town with last night?

Edit: Update for this evening...

Beat Chaos Witch Quelaag (spider lady with boobs), beat Ceaseless Discharge (gigantic fire monster). Problem is though, now that they are down, I am in an area where Taurus Demons and Capra Demons are normal enemies that respawn normally, and can be found in groups of up to five or six at a time....

Mutsumi said:
What is your PSN name? By pure coincidence, could you be one of the pair of white phantoms I traversed Blight Town with last night?

MercRaiden. I had wrestled with Sonys blooming name creator and it telling me that a number of the ones I wanted before hand were taken (including MercenaryRaiden) but then somehow I found out they weren't. The service was being a douche when I signed up :p

Not played yesterday but have been setting up a plan of attack...And I'm still nowhere closer to figuring out what I want to do. That is a lot of souls on the line and I could do a lot with them...Might leave my soul sign around and try and get some humanity to summon people to help me.

You CAN use a homeward bone to escape from a boss area. I was in a similar situation yesterday, and I used that to escape and use my souls. I can CONFIRM it works, so you can use that to get out with your souls. Also, homeward bones are sold by a vendor, so do not worry about saving them for a special occasion.

I got cursed, and it reduced my HP to half. Fixing it will cost 4000 souls. :/

Aww geez. I got my souls back thanks to the Homeward Bone (I never imagined Dark Souls would be so nice to give you an escape option that works! :p)...But then I went a bit rambo and lost 18k souls anyway! Ugh. Never learn...

Anyways. Blight Town is where I need to be. I ran through quickly with someone else and got all the way down to Queelag and died cause I just didn't know what she does. Much more managable fight than Sif and I should be able to do it. Could do with finding some Humanity though (or do a successful run through of this place...)

Ha! Queelag done first time and Blight Town is done with; save for a few items I noticed dotted around that I need to collect. It wasn't actually that bad! :D

I then went to the next area and just stared at the lava flowing about for a little bit. Really gorgeous stuff, even if I can envisage myself falling in at some point!

So I thought I'd carry on a bit into the Demon's Ruins and went through a fog door. I found my way to that rather large fella just standing there. I was surprised he didn't attack me...but of course...He does. But...What suprised me was that I started attacking his arm when it came down and I was only doing a small chunk of his health bar...When it completely disapeared and he died!? Did....I just glitch that out?

Also where that was...Can...Can I see Taurus Demons? As in...More than one!? I...Think i'm going to turn around and try the Valley of Drakes or that open door...

Did you run back to the fog gate and have Ceaseless Discharge follow you all the way there? If so, he may have fallen in the pit. He isn't that hard a boss though, just roll to avoid his tentacle smash attacks, then hit them. So long as he doesn't OHKO you, you've enough time to heal between each attack if you get hit, so it ends up being more about attrition and number of Estus Flask drinks.

And yes, those are Taurus Demons, and there are more the other way, plus a whole load of Capra Demons. :O Evil....

Edit: Sif downed! Abysswalking gained! Where the hell can I abysswalk? XD

Tips for the Great Grey Wolf Sif fight:
-Roll towards his swings when he attacks
-Keep at either close melee range or at very long range, beyond the reach of his sword
-As his health depletes, he becomes visibly weaker, attacking more slowly and appearing to be worn out and injured, jumping less or not at all and walking slowly. Either that is because his health was lower, or it is because I attacked his legs with my greatsword lots.
-Drops 30000 souls, his own soul for crafting or eating, and a ring that grants abysswalking. You get the trophy just for winning the fight though. Also, remember to check behind the giant headstone for a Hornet Ring

Hope this helps. :)

Edit2: Went through Sen's Fortress very carefully. Not too bad an area if you take it carefully, but at times you'll want to be agile, so disrobe for your own safety when trap-dodging unless you are already fast. Beat Iron Golem, the boss of the area who was surprisingly less difficult than expected. The fight was kind of like Tower Knight from Demon's Soul, only less dangerous, aside from the fact that Tower Knight cannot pick you up in his hand. Now I am in Anor Londo, and I have no damn clue how to advance. Cannot find a path anywhere there yet that isn't blocked.

Mutsumi said:
Did you run back to the fog gate and have Ceaseless Discharge follow you all the way there? If so, he may have fallen in the pit.

Huh. I actually did. Guess that solves that one!

Went through Sen's Fortress very carefully. Not too bad an area if you take it carefully, but at times you'll want to be agile, so disrobe for your own safety when trap-dodging unless you are already fast.

Ha! I opened this up, walked in, got immediatly trapped for over half my health and thought "Sod this i'll come back later..."

Yeah I'm fast. I played through Demons Souls as a hunter and, similar to that, I just can't envisage myself playing the game WITHOUT a maximum dodge roll. I need that mobility. I may die quicker but I cannot handle a giant hulking armour that doesn't roll.

Anyways tonights been...Tense. Probably the most tense for quite a while. I took a look at my options and then decided to take a look at something back at Firelink Shrine with my new Divine Spear. Funnily enough I found something...

The Catacombs.

Oh my days. So a little backstory. This place has one bonfire. And it's behind an invisible wall. In the middle of uselessville. I managed to clear out a room of new enemies, including a black knight, and got to the boss fog. I decided to search around for a bonfire as I had no estus flasks or heals remaining. I can't remember being this tense and moving so slowly. The Catacombs have traps everywhere. So many different kinds to mess you up as well. Not to mention screwing you out of 2 crystal lizards if you fall into one like I did! But running around a trap infested place one hit from death with no healing options? I had to go back. There was no way that I couldn't. Tomorrow I'll go and see what that boss is about!

Edit: Like...This place has made me pretty stressed! At one stage I actually yelled out loud because I thought a trap had done me in at last. It's not that hard either thanks to my spear as I can easily attack in the narrow passage ways. I am not looking forward to starting back where I am with all the enemies alive. They just come from everywhere...

Ugh.....The Catacombs......

Hate that place.... The skeletons kept coming back to life about five seconds after I killed them. ;_;

Mutsumi said:
Ugh.....The Catacombs......

Hate that place.... The skeletons kept coming back to life about five seconds after I killed them. ;_;

Hence my Divine Spear :D Well...That's not *strictly* all true. There's another way to keep them down because those lantern guys are actually necromancers bringing them back. But I would highly recommend a Divine Spear, or any weapon, for that part because it keeps them down. Just get a spear up to +5 (easy peasy) and use a green titanite shard (Found on the slugs in the swamp in Blight Town with quite a high drop rate! There's even a body or 2 that has about...5 of them in total I think) at the blacksmith you gave the smithing soul too.

Gonna go give the boss a go now I think; although I need to re-learn enemy layouts...

Wow today has been productive on this...Finished off the Catacombs with the boss being quite possibly the easiest boss i've faced in this and Demons Souls. The reward is VERY good though! (spoilers for it) The Rite of Kindling. Allows you to kindle bonfires further. I've already put this to good use in Firelink.

So! After the Catacombs is a new area - Tomb Of The Giants. Although they should bloody rename it Tomb Of The You Can't See Jack ****. Pitch black. About 5 deaths there later I got the hump and decided to move on.

I decided on the last place from Firelink - New Londo Ruins! Which went suprisingly well apart from a bout of yelling "Ghost woman leave that wall! when the enemies were being finicky. I then ran up to a lock door overlooking the Valley Of Drakes and sighed heavily. Moving on...

I could have gone there but I didn't feel like I could take them on yet. So I decided to give Sen's Fortress a whirl. I like this place! A lot! Traps, narrow pathways, that chest. It also gave me my new permanent weapon - Lightning Spear <3 Although the boss decided to glitch me through the level twice killing me both times. But I thought with new weapon in hand I'd head back to Valley Of Drakes and show them who's boss.

...But that light was really shiney. And now i'm stuck in Anor Londo. SWELL.

MercenaryRaiden said:

Where you arrived in Anor Londo, look behind you, see an ugly flappy bastard, click 'talk', and discover you were not quite as stuck as you thought you were.

Mutsumi said:
MercenaryRaiden said:

Where you arrived in Anor Londo, look behind you, see an ugly flappy bastard, click 'talk', and discover you were not quite as stuck as you thought you were.

I did not notice him until you said. Which is weird cause I panned the camera around 180 and didn't even see him! :D

So thanks to your advice I went back and did some stuff I wanted to do (On a day I should be studying I probably shouldn't have spent a 6:1 ratio on Darksouls:studying. This'll be the end of me :p) I was just having a mess about in Firelink when I noticed the item on the roof above the miracle guy and I had thought before if the shortcut up could get me there. So I tried exploring and indeed found the way up. I've been waiting to get that item - But then I realised the way back to the beginning area was also there. So I went there.

Floor collapse made me jump. Brilliant game! :D But I killed the boss, looted the entire place and headed back to Anor Londo.

...where I proceeded to entire the painting world. NOW i'm stuck! :p

MercenaryRaiden said:
Floor collapse made me jump. Brilliant game! :D But I killed the boss, looted the entire place and headed back to Anor Londo.

You've beaten him? That huge bastard? Any tips? Last time I fought him (admittedly that was about 30 soul levels ago) I had no chance. What level are you?

Also, I've just done Ariamis. BLOODY WHEEL SKELETONS. DIE. FOREVER. PLEASE.

Mutsumi said:
MercenaryRaiden said:

You've beaten him? That huge bastard? Any tips? Last time I fought him (admittedly that was about 30 soul levels ago) I had no chance. What level are you?

Also, I've just done Ariamis. BLOODY WHEEL SKELETONS. DIE. FOREVER. PLEASE.

I'm level 50 but took him at about 36. The **** hits like a truck so dodge roll out of the way as soon as you land and then heal. Then it gets strangely easy. You can easily loop him into doing his falling down explosion attack. This does a crap ton of damage...If he hits. Which he never does as the range is silly.

Make sure you lock on, strafe around behind him and when he's falling down MOVE BACK A TINY BIT. As soon as the attack is over pepper him with some light attacks then move in the direction he's turning. He'll get the hump and try the same attack.

Sometimes he'll attempt the jump attack but just dodge roll backwards - rinse repeat. I did the fight without getting hit. He has a suprisingly easy patern for someone who deals a lot of damage...

Yeah I hate those wheel skeletons. You probably won't want to know this about the catacombs but they are there. They are also large in number. I...Experienced that first hand. Not a damn thing I could do! :\

Anor Londo is complete! Got the reward, which is rather nice, and went back to firelink to speak to the dude. I accidently ran away mid text and now he's asleep. Er...Hope I haven't messed anything up!

Is it telling that I liked the Painting world? I entered at about level 45 and left at soul level 69. Every time I'd start up there i'd lay my soul sign out and people would summon me whilst I was progressing through my own. Such a small area yet I got loads of souls and humanity. At one stage I was refusing to go back to my bonfire and was lugging around 250k souls and 9 humanity; at which point a black phantom invaded but thank god for sacrifice rings!

Now...I'm stumped. I may go back to the Tomb Of The Giants to see what's up...Or maybe go to Demons Ruins again and take on those Capra Demons now that i'm fairly powered up...

Beat the twins solo as a hollow, took the lift up, saw a message saying "Chest ahead" and met a lovely pair of twins of a different kind! :D

As for the dude, I think you have to hit him until he wakes up. Not had him fall asleep on me, though he did bite me, and then swallow me whole. D:

Now to go kill the master of my former covenant, to whom I owe my awesome sword, which can deal both slash and thrust damage. :D

Also, upgraded my Estoc to Lightning +3. Shame it was rubbish on the leaner of the twins.

Which twin did you kill first? I killed slim, then fatty smashed his corpse to take his lightning powers. Better than killing fatty first and having slim become giant.

What covenant are you with now? I've gone for Blades of the Darkmoon. :D

Back