Custom Blu Ray Covers Guide and Discussion

N-11

Dandy Guy, in Space
In this thread I will be sharing some of the custom Blu Ray covers that I have made and I will also give a guide on how you can print these off yourself.

So for awhile now I have been collecting Blu Rays especially anime ones and with collecting these anime Blu Rays, over time I have came across many that just have down right awful graphic design, so much so that it makes me question how it ever got through the design stages. For the UK, Anime Limited (All The Anime) is by far the worst offender with their ugly and out of place spines along with their generic back info, next comes MVM Entertainment with their strange BBFC logo placement and MVM logo placement. Lastly comes Manga Entertainment UK who have mostly just copied Funimation graphic design which has led to mixed results.

With that out of the way, there is a couple of things I want to say before I go into the custom covers. Firstly I understand that sometimes these companies can be under strict guidelines on what their designs can look like along with what artwork they can use. Secondly I know that they are on budgets and they have deadlines to meet, where I am a lot more free to make what I want when it comes to these covers. Thirdly I have a background In graphic design and printing which makes it a lot easier for me to be able to make these covers.

This goes without saying but everything belongs to their respective owners and I am not making any money off of this and I am just doing it for fun. I also know that some of these covers might potentially be used by bootleggers which I don't condone. These covers are not supposed to act as replacements just alternatives to the originals.

Custom covers made so far:
1. Outlaw Star BD (Anime Ltd)
2. Baccano! BD (Anime Ltd)
3. Gurren Lagann BD (Anime Ltd)
4. Konosuba Season 1 BD (Anime Ltd)
5. Konosuba Season 2 BD (Anime Ltd)
6. Evangelion 1.11 BD (Manga UK/Anime Ltd)
7. Evangelion 2.22 BD (Manga UK/Anime Ltd)
8. Evangelion 3.33 BD (Manga UK/Anime Ltd)

Planned covers:
Martian Successor Nadesico&Movie (Anime Ltd)
Moblie Suit Gundam Wing 1&2 (Anime Ltd)
Trigun Badlands Rumble BD (Manga UK/Kaze UK)
Evangelion Movies BD (Manga UK/Anime Ltd)
Chrono Crusade DVD (Anime Ltd)
Shigurui: Death Frenzy BD (Manga UK)
Golden Kamuy Season 1,2&3 (Funimation UK&Madman Aus)
Serial Expermients lain DeBBFC (MVM)
At one point I plan on doing the whole AL range

This list is subject to change and I am happy to take requests for covers, I am also happy to hear peoples suggestions when it comes to the covers themselves, such as changes you might like to see or spelling mistake. I can only do standard Blu Ray covers, I do not know how to do slipcases or art boxes yet. The covers could be used for slipcovers if you wanted but you might have to do some adjusting which I couldn't comment on.

Here are some example of finished covers
Outlaw Star V3.png

Baccano Cover v3.png

Gurren lagan v3.png

As said earlier I am happy to change these in certain ways like removing "The complete series" or the BBFC logo. My design philosophy behind these is a mix between Anime Limited original design and some of Funimations design, by taking what I like from each I can make my perfect design.

How to print out these covers.

Now I am going to show you how to print off these custom covers as there is a couple of steps. Firstly you want to download the cover you want to use, you can do this right clicking on the image and then "save image as" or on mobile you can just screenshot it. Once you have the image you want to go to Google Drive and go to "New" and then open a "Google Docs"
Guide 1.JPG

Once you have your new Google Doc open you need to go to "File" and then "Page Setup"Guide 2.JPG

And once you have done that change the "Paper Size" to "A3"
Guide 3.JPG

Now that it is A3 size you want to copy and paste your image into the doc and once you have done this you want to right click the image and go to "Image Options"
Guide 4.JPG

Once you have Image Options open you then want to click "Size & Rotation" and change the "Width" to "10.6" this will fit 14mm Blu Ray cases. Once you have done that all you need to do is print it. Before printing it off make sure its in colour and is going to be printed to what paper you wanted it printed to and what quality you want it printed to as well.
Guide 5.JPG

I hope this guide has been helpful and if you have any futher question don't hesitate to ask me as I am more than happy to help.

Due to image restrictions in posts I will leave links to the other posts containing the other version of the covers.

Custom Covers In Blu Ray Cases

Finished Covers

Clean Covers

No Complete Series

No Age Rating Logo

Evangelion 1.11 Manga UK Versions

Evangelion 2.22 Manga UK Versions

Evangelion 3.33 Manga UK Versions

Evangelion 3.0+1.11 Manga UK Versions

Evangelion 1.11 AL Versions

Evangelion 2.22 AL Versions

Evangelion 3.33 AL Versions

Last edited:
Thanks for the very detailed and helpful post. Absolutely loving your alternative clean covers for Baccano and Gurren Lagann in particular, they're gorgeous! Clean covers are easily my favourite when there is lovely artwork available to show off. Now I just need to find an A3 printer to use heh and I'm looking forward to seeing your upcoming cover designs, especially the Evangelion movie ones.

Thanks for the very detailed and helpful post. Absolutely loving your alternative clean covers for Baccano and Gurren Lagann in particular, they're gorgeous! Clean covers are easily my favourite when there is lovely artwork available to show off. Now I just need to find an A3 printer to use heh and I'm looking forward to seeing your upcoming cover designs, especially the Evangelion movie ones.
Thank you for the kind words, I do need to do a clean one for Outlaw Star and any others that I do. Evangelion is a big one since Manga/Funimation really messed up with the consistency. I will say I don't often have the time to dedicate to making these covers so it might take awhile before I can get around to posting anymore.

Custom Covers In Blu Ray Cases

IMG_3318.JPG

IMG_3319.JPG

IMG_3320.JPG

IMG_3317.JPG

I will say I don't often have the time to dedicate to making these covers so it might take awhile before I can get around to posting anymore.
As it should be! Quality takes time and should never be rushed. I for one will definitely look forward to admiring your handiwork when ready.

The consistency in the spines is good to see as well and sadly not a common sight heh.

As it should be! Quality takes time and should never be rushed. I for one will definitely look forward to admiring your handiwork when ready.

The consistency in the spines is good to see as well and sadly not a common sight heh.
Thank you for the kind words, Yeah spine consistency seems dead tbh and I hate that. Its not hard to keep it consitant. also sorry for the super late reply.

Last edited:
Due to image restrictions I am going to put the clean covers in their own section.

Due to the lack or real promotional image for Outlaw Star it was hard to find one for the clean cover. I would of liked to used the image AL used for their collectors edition but I couldn't find that image anywhere so I used this image of space from the show instead.

Outlaw Star Clean v2.png

Baccano Cover Clean Cover v2.png

Gurren lagan Clean Cover v2.png

Last edited:
These covers will feature no "Complete Series" tag.

Outlaw Star No Complete Series.png

Baccano Cover No Complete Series.png

Gurren Lagan No Complete Series v2.png

Konosuba Season 1 No Complete Series.png

Konosuba Season 2 No Complete Series.png

Last edited:
These covers will feature no age rating logos.

Outlaw Star No Age Rating.png

Baccano Cover No Age Rating Logo.png

Gurren Lagan No Age Rating Logo.png

Konosuba Season 1 No Age Rating Logo.png

Konosuba Season 2 No Age Rating Logo.png

Last edited:
Really like the no age rating but 100% personnel preference I would try the Anime Limited logo at the top of the spine above the image and possible make it red instead of white. Like I said personal preference, they look great though 👍

Really like the no age rating but 100% personnel preference I would try the Anime Limited logo at the top of the spine above the image and possible make it red instead of white. Like I said personal preference, they look great though 👍
Thank you for the feedback, The reason I put the AL logo at the bottom was because I like to keep all of the logos together in one place. Along with that, I was basing it off the Manga/Funimation way of having logos at the bottom. When it comes to AL logo I use the white logo because white is naturally opposite to black so the white come out a lot clearer on the spine. Red on black is a good colour combination so I can try that as well.

Thank you for the feedback, The reason I put the AL logo at the bottom was because I like to keep all of the logos together in one place. Along with that, I was basing it off the Manga/Funimation way of having logos at the bottom. When it comes to AL logo I use the white logo because white is naturally opposite to black so the white come out a lot clearer on the spine. Red on black is a good colour combination so I can try that as well.
Can totally understand wanting the uniformity with other releases. I'd say they're closer to Sentai's than Manga/Funi as most of their older releases were very much darts at a bored on any kind of placement on the spine 😂
I think my preference to logo at top is its similar to all the boutique labels (Arrow, Eureka, 88 films) so as i say can understand your preference.

Can also totally understand the white on black AL logo as it definitely does stand out, maybe making just the black circle in the eye red (films) or blue (series) 🤔

Can totally understand wanting the uniformity with other releases. I'd say they're closer to Sentai's than Manga/Funi as most of their older releases were very much darts at a bored on any kind of placement on the spine 😂
I think my preference to logo at top is its similar to all the boutique labels (Arrow, Eureka, 88 films) so as i say can understand your preference.

Can also totally understand the white on black AL logo as it definitely does stand out, maybe making just the black circle in the eye red (films) or blue (series) 🤔
Looking at them now I see the Sentai comparison although I don't actually own any Sentai titles myself I have seen enough of their spines to know what you are referring to. Its true Manga has had so many different spines designs it hard to line them up on the shelf. When I say Manga/Funi I mean there spine design when Manga took over the Funi license and they had all the logos at the bottom.

Loving these: great work again and that clean cover for Outlaw Star (one I'm yet to watch heh) is inspired!

I like the idea of the AL logo as white on black, certainly a nice contrast but @Jon O Fun's red on black is another classic combo and nice idea. Also like the thought about keeping the current red and blue colour convention for series vs movies.

Loving these: great work again and that clean cover for Outlaw Star (one I'm yet to watch heh) is inspired!

I like the idea of the AL logo as white on black, certainly a nice contrast but Jon O Fun's red on black is another classic combo and nice idea. Also like the thought about keeping the current red and blue colour convention for series vs movies.
Thank you for the kind words. I recommend Outlaw Star good solid show definitely a 7/10. I will give the red and blue colour scheme a shot, never been a fan of it personally.

Really really nice, love these!

Does anyone know what the exact type of paper used in blu ray covers are?
Thank you. After some research I found it to be mostly Inkjet Paper used but I cannot be 100% on this since I have never printed on it. I would say if you want it to be similar to a real blu ray cover any gloss based paper should do the trick.

Last edited:
Back