Current anime streaming discussion

Trigger animated Asterix and Obelix would be a) the best thing and b) the thing most likely to start a small fanserveice arms race between the Ladybug guys, Ankama and Trigger.

So just got roku on our tv and to my great susrpise viewster is on it! Why haven't they done a ps3 app yet? The line up is incredible and it's free! And now when the next anime season starts i will able to now watch all the funination stuff as well now !

To be honest, I've found this season to be incredibly average with even my favourite shows even only just being "okay" compared to some of the titles last season. I think my personal favourites so far would be YuruYuri and Anti-Magic Academy: The 35th Test Platoon. Those two are the only ones I race to watch whenever they come out, while the others I'm keeping up to date with are:

Beautiful Bones - Sakurako's Investigation - Solid quality, but nothing that really jumps out at me.
Hakone-chan - I actually wish this was given a full cour of 25-minute episodes.
Komori-san Can't Decline - Don't ask, because I don't even know why.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - This one is definitely rising though; the last couple of episodes in particular have been great.
One Punch Man - I am enjoying this, but can't help but feel that after the first episode, it's struggled to really keep up with the hype it received.
Valkyrie Drive - Mermaid - I'm admittedly a little behind on this one. The quality isn't really there at all but it's just utterly ridiculous to watch. I'm guessing the writer starting out with Soul Eater fanfiction? :p

I think this season actually marks the first time in a while that I have dropped series - The Asterisk War and The Perfect Insider in particular. I actually quite like the characters in the former and wish they were in a less muddled and mediocre series; my 11-year old brother sat with me during an episode and we spent the whole time laughing at how bad it was. The Perfect Insider ended up just getting on my nerves because it struck me as trying to sound far smarter than it actually is.

I tried Comet Lucifer but it just didn't strike me as anything special and Viewster's business model is off-putting by itself. I'd be watching Seraph of the End, but I still need to finish the first cour.

Joshawott said:
The Perfect Insider ended up just getting on my nerves because it struck me as trying to sound far smarter than it actually is.
On what basis are people saying this? Just because it tries to sound clever "at all"? It seems like a wildly aggressive conclusion to come to when you haven't actually given it time to prove whether it earns its smarts or not.

edit: I'll take my 12k post being in defence of a show as good as this one.

Honestly I'd side with Josh regarding The Perfect Insider. I'm still watching the series and likely won't drop it, but overall I feel it works better as a novel than it does an anime as the story is too spread out and almost nothing happens some episodes.

Personally I'm watching a lot of what Crunchyroll are streaming this season and a couple of other things. I'm loving Beautiful Bones -Sakurako’s Investigation, Seraph of the End, Noragami and Fairy Tail as it goes on.

Also watching The Asterisk War, Anti-Magic Academy, and Chivalry of the Failed Knight which are all, frankly, just clones of each other. All the main characters don't fit into the world for some reason or can't use their powers properly, and all of them are building somewhat of a harem of girls around them by the episode. None of the three are that great either, so guess they have that in common...

Yeaaaaaah. Not a great season for me and new anime, but returning shows are proving firm favourites. :D

Demelza said:
The Perfect Insider... the story is too spread out and almost nothing happens some episodes...

...I'm loving Beautiful Bones -Sakurako’s Investigation
The juxtaposition of these two assessments in the same post leaves me upset.

ilmaestro said:
Joshawott said:
The Perfect Insider ended up just getting on my nerves because it struck me as trying to sound far smarter than it actually is.
On what basis are people saying this? Just because it tries to sound clever "at all"? It seems like a wildly aggressive conclusion to come to when you haven't actually given it time to prove whether it earns its smarts or not.
There's a difference between trying to sound clever and actually being it. Listening to the dialogue in The Perfect Insider reminded me of reading A-Level English essays - sentences were unnecessarily stuffed and convoluted when ultimately, they actually had little or nothing of substance at all. Shiko and Moe's conversation near the beginning of the series struck me in particular as a conversation that was trying to masquerade itself as something deeper, despite me wondering if they were actually paying much attention to what the other was saying. I gave the series four episodes to see if it could convince me if it had enough substance to keep me engaged but alas, it didn't.

Tempted to pick The Perfect Insider up again; it looked like something I should like but I kept finding my mind wandering and dropped it after the second episode. In my case I could see grains of interesting potential there but I didn't really like the characters - I get that this isn't the kind of series where the characters are designed around being appealing but I found it hard to care about them nonetheless.

So this discussion is interesting to me. It's also interesting to see people contrasting it with Sakurako-san as I found that series significantly more annoying and have never considered reevaluating my decision to drop it at all.

It's worth remembering that how good the dialogue sounds may be related to whether you're listening to the spoken words or reading through the additional layer of interpretation in the subtitles.

R

In regards to Beautiful Bones -Sakurako's Investigation, I feel that it succeeds where The Perfect Insider falters because not only is the spoken language easier to digest, but also because it emulates the classic Sherlock Holmes formula of having an intelligent eccentric having to describe their deductions to less a less knowledgeable assistant and their clientèle (although Watson is a great mind in his own right, he isn't at Holmes' level). The combination of those two things I feel, ultimately makes it easier for the viewer to jump on Sakurako's train of thought and how she reaches her conclusions.

Where I will fault the series however, is that all the cases I've watched so far have been far too linear; with Sakurako holding our hands as she takes us to the only possible outcome. When I watch detective shows, I love to be presented with multiple possibilities and having to work through the evidence myself to try and solve the mystery before the on-screen detective does; which I haven't been able to do with Beautiful Bones so far.

The conversation at the start of the show runs quite deeply through the story, not convinced you're supposed to be able to break it down as easily as your seven times table after just hearing it for the first time.

I think you've dismissed the show far too easily based on some preconceptions you have, but that's your loss. :p

edit: your not wrong that Sakurako-san is far more easily digestible (although I think you are wrong to say that it's a detective show. It's more a character show where one of the characters is like a detective). But that just makes it sound even more like you haven't really bothered with putting the effort in on Subete ga F ni Naru because it's not as straight forward, and you took the initial pass of "probably written by an A-level student" (Mori Hiroshi is a D.Eng) and dismissed it even whilst watching on for a while.

I understand that's not exactly a fair interpretation of what you were saying, but I'm exaggerating slightly to emphasize my point.

Rui said:
Tempted to pick The Perfect Insider up again; ... I get that this isn't the kind of series where the characters are designed around being appealing
I would say it is literally the exact opposite, yes. It's very much a story about inhumanity. I honestly can't believe you also dropped the show along with all these other jokers! I'm rarely this disappointed.

The latest episode of the perfect insider has made me think that they don't know how to get out the plot holes they have planted. They seem to be padding it out with entire episodes not advancing the plot at all.

Also Ushio and Tora continues to surprise me. Clearly they are saving the big bad for the second season next year which is cool. They can do a epic build up next year just focusing on the battle!

devilrules666 said:
The latest episode of the perfect insider has made me think that they don't know how to get out the plot holes they have planted. They seem to be padding it out with entire episodes not advancing the plot at all.

I don't think they write the plot in real time. Presumably this was all figured out in the novel when it originally came out ;)

R

The pacing was a bit off these last two week's though, in dr666's defence. Not so much that nothing happened, but the fact that they didn't seem sure whether or not either of them was the correct episode to really kick in towards the conclusion of the plot or otherwise.

I have only heard praise for the way the mystery is eventually laid out though, so I am fully confident the anime staff will come through over the next two weeks.

devilrules666 said:
Also Ushio and Tora continues to surprise me. Clearly they are saving the big bad for the second season next year which is cool. They can do a epic build up next year just focusing on the battle!
I'm not sure there is a "big bad" or any huge arc as such, I think it's just lots of little episodic ones and then Hakumen no Mono, but I'm three or four episodes behind now, so maybe I'm wrong.

Well the latest episode of Anti-Magic Academy was a fun stupid time. No plot got moved forward but sometimes you just need to take a step back and have some fun. Beautiful Bones had a nice one in done episode and it was really good. Nice to see the support characters get some time to shine. The Perfect Answer is begining to answer some questions and i think i have figured out the outcome to the mystery of the murders.

Back