Current anime streaming discussion

devilrules666

Combat Butler
Hey guys was wondering if we could have a thread about current anime streaming. Like what we are watching from the current anime season and what to avoid. I think it is a good idea. Anyway this season I am watching Utawarerumono The False Faces which i am enjoying despite hating the first series.
Also watched the first episodes of The Asterix War and Lance N Masques and wasn''t impressed by what i saw.

The Perfect Insider is a very different anime from everything else this season. But sometimes it is a bit smug and too clever for its own good but the twists and turns are really well done.

Mobile Suit Gundam Iron Blood Orphans got to 3 epsiodes before i dropped it. I dont know why it just didnt catch my interest.Anti Magic Academy has caught my eye. Really interesting story so far. Beautiful Bones might my favorite show of the new season so far. It is like watching a anime sherlock! No high schools in sight!

Also Ushio and Tora is still madly entertaing me. It might my anime of the year so far!

So what about you guys?

So I am watching the following, all of which I am enjoying to some extent:

Comet Lucifer - my interest is kind of dwindling with this but I'm sticking with, hopefully there'll be some kind of pay off
MSG: Iron-Blooded Orphans - in recent episodes the pace has picked up, and that animation during the mech fights is awesome and it's all hand drawn! No CGI, but still looks amazing
Asterisk War - generic, but somehow enjoyable
Beautiful Bones - murder mystery dramas are my guilty pleasure, never tell my mum that or she'll have me stuck watching CSI all day
Attack on Titan Junior High - this one's a good laugh
Noragami Aragoto - this season is very fast paced, very action packed and thrilling, I hope the next arc can keep It up
One Punch Man - it's One Punch Man, nuff said
Seraph of the End: Battle in Nagoya -enjoyed the first season and this one seems to have better animation in parts, (eg last week's episode's fight scene)
Young Black Jack - didn't think I'd like this as I don't care for surgeons/doctors or episodic anime, this one has very compelling stories for each episode, sometimes slow in parts but still very enjoyable

Series I dropped this season:

Perfect Insider - don't know what the hell is going on here
Lance n Masques - this one's boring and I am not really interested in six year olds and their knights in shining armor

Perfect Insider is possibly the one I look forward to most, although I honestly couldn't tell you why.
There's a load I haven't even started, and the only one I definitely dropped after the first episode was that Valkyrie Mermaid thing. There was another one I stopped watching straight away because it was another reverse harem-type thing, can't even remember the name.

You'll probably find most people talk about their streaming shows in the viewing journal on an episode by episode basis. Anyway here is what I'm watching:

One Punch Man-Very fun show with some really impressive looking animation and some very funny moments. Lacking in much character and story but it doesn't really need it. Probably my favourite show of the season, tied with...

Owarimonogatari-Monogatari continues to be excellent. If you're interested in my full thoughts I wrote a review of the first 3 episodes for the site which you can read here (Shameless self promotion, sorry :p) and my review of episodes 4-6 should be up at some point.

Is The Order a Rabbit? Season 2-A show that not everyone is going to be into but I personally really like. It's just incredibly cute and quite funny and I can never get enough of my cute girl moe blobs.

I'm interested in Attack on Titan Junior High but I'm warned that I shouldn't touch Animax with a ten foot pole so I'm waiting of the Anime Limited release.

Call me a normie-tier pleb if you must, but I've been really enjoying One Punch Man. It's not just brilliantly animated and entertaining, there's something oddly feelgood about it too.

It's been a strong season all round though, even if I've fallen behind with most of the things I started on. The only one I've been a bit disappointed with was Beautiful Bones. I probably owe it another chance, as I've only watched the first episode, but I just thought it was either too silly or not silly enough, depending on your point of view. Perhaps it's cruel to say so, but it actually felt like a pastiche of what you'd expect to find in a noitamina show.

Good thread idea! Might be neat to have one of these going every half a season and when a season ends, good way to figure out recommendations and have some solid discussions.

Currently watching:

Comet Lucifer - My hype has died down a fair bit, strong first episode but I feel the quality has dwindled, however still enjoying & interested to see how they wrap things up.
Concrete Revolutio - My AOTS thus far, has everything I love! This could be something special if they finish the story nicely.
AOT: Junior High - It is what it is, better than expected though.
One Punch Man - Everything this show does, it does fantastically.
A Chivalry of the Failed Knight - Likable characters (I really like Stella, don't even know why I like her character so much) in a very generic story. It's nothing out of this world yet the show does the job it's supposed to do well (for it's genres, if you get what I mean?) It actually features real romantic progression too which is nice.
The Asterisk War - Gorgeous to look at but it feels like a weak version of "A Chivalry of the Failed Knight" (I keep getting confused and mistaking plot lines for what's going on in Chivalry..) It has potential though, the world being built is interesting.
Yuru Yuri - My disappointment of the season :( The new studio is doing a fine job but it's left behind the bouncy fun of the original two which made it more than a generic "cute girls slice of life" show. Shame. Things may change though so keeping with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the stuff I'm still watching:
Subete can be interesting but often pretty cheesy.
Concrete is awesome with great visuals, music and a conpect
Sakurako is fun, I really liked the last episode. If you want a bit of moe like stuff with some fun scenarios.
kagewani is actually has really good suspense.
Young black jack is actually pretty good, some good social commentary on the 60s.
Noragami is a decent continuation of season 1 and even surpasses it in some ways. Still has some annoying tropes though.
Owarimonogatari is just amazing and the next arc looks amazing although I really liked this arc.

Got to admit that i am worried that the perfect insider might pull some bs out it's ass to answer the mystery. I just can't see how the killer is going the killings. Also it was a nice change of pace for the bone princess latest episode. Concentraing on different characters. I do like it when a show takes the time to expand the cast's personalites.

devilrules666 said:
Got to admit that i am worried that the perfect insider might pull some bs out it's ass to answer the mystery. I just can't see how the killer is going the killings. Also it was a nice change of pace for the bone princess latest episode. Concentraing on different characters. I do like it when a show takes the time to expand the cast's personalites.

It's based on a very well received novel, so I'd assume the answer isn't too dissatisfying.

I really need to start watching some shows from this season or it will just pass me by like last season did, don't think I finished anything last season.

Gonna pick up One Punch Man, Gundam and uh...that's probably it actually, catch up on Durarara too I guess.

*Oh, and I guess I will watch the rest of The Shinoa Show/seraph of the end since I watched the first half, even though it was pretty crappy.

I haven't been watching much this season, though there are a few things I'm interested in. I find I'm often watching older shows (or at least finished ones) rather than keeping up with the current things at the moment. Anyway, I've been watching:

Mr. Osomatsu/Osomatsu-san
It's a reasonably good comedy, it actually seems to be quite well executed but some of the jokes aren't quite to my humour. Still, it does make me laugh even at some of the things that I wouldn't expect to so that's another plus.

YuruYuri (Season 3)
I'm finding it quite enjoyable, although it does feel like it could be doing more than it is. It's a fairly good relaxing show but it's not likely to compete with the likes of Non Non Biyori. Still, a pretty good option if you're a fan of this kind of thing, I'd say.

Also relevant:
Dannielle said:
Yuru Yuri - My disappointment of the season :( The new studio is doing a fine job but it's left behind the bouncy fun of the original two which made it more than a generic "cute girls slice of life" show. Shame. Things may change though so keeping with it.
I suspect the things you liked about the first two seasons were the aspects I was a bit less keen on at times. I'll admit though, both previous seasons probably had more stand out episodes where all the different elements came together to make something better. The current season tends to be fairly consistently decent but rarely pushes much further.

Is The Order A Rabbit??/Gochumon Wa Usagi Desu Ka?? (Season 2)
This one was always more of the relaxing "Cute Girls Doing Cute Things" type and it's continuing that. I think it's another good one if you're a fan but it's unlikely to convert anyone. Still, I think it's good to have a bit of a variety of these shows on offer since I think people are likely to have their own personal favourites.

I was watching some of the short anime but I've fallen behind on them (which is kind of bad considering they should be easier to keep up with). I did watch Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note for a bit but it doesn't seem to have ended up being my kind of thing, unfortunately.

Smeelia said:
Also relevant:
Dannielle said:

I suspect the things you liked about the first two seasons were the aspects I was a bit less keen on at times. I'll admit though, both previous seasons probably had more stand out episodes where all the different elements came together to make something better. The current season tends to be fairly consistently decent but rarely pushes much further.

Maybe so? I loved the high energy comedic parts, think ..Umaru. It's still enjoyable though, too attached to the characters to walk away.
A overall positive for season 3 is that they seem to be exploring the friendships more so than before, which is nice.

devilrules666 said:
Ushio and tora's latest episode is the best anime episode i have seen all year. Just utterally excellent stuff. If you aren't watching you should.

Noted :)

black1blade said:
From the stuff I'm still watching:
Subete can be interesting but often pretty cheesy.
Concrete is awesome with great visuals, music and a conpect
Sakurako is fun, I really liked the last episode. If you want a bit of moe like stuff with some fun scenarios.
kagewani is actually has really good suspense.
Young black jack is actually pretty good, some good social commentary on the 60s.
Noragami is a decent continuation of season 1 and even surpasses it in some ways. Still has some annoying tropes though.
Owarimonogatari is just amazing and the next arc looks amazing although I really liked this arc.

Fantastic to see someone else watching :thumb:

Dannielle said:
Maybe so? I loved the high energy comedic parts, think ..Umaru. It's still enjoyable though, too attached to the characters to walk away.
A overall positive for season 3 is that they seem to be exploring the friendships more so than before, which is nice.
I think the real issue for me was more that the balance felt a bit off in the first season of YuruYuri, with too much comedy and not quite enough of the nicer character moments (also, I'm not a fan of watching Akari suffer and didn't find it inherently funny as the show seemed to think it was). The second season had a better balance and might end up being the strongest as a result, it still had the comedy but it felt like it used the characters and their releationships more effectively. The third season does appeal to my personal tastes (as you say, the friendship stuff is great) but overall I might agree that it's a little weaker without the variety of the second season. I guess it's worth noting that I have enjoyed every season, it's just that I enjoy some parts more than others.

I did enjoy Umaru quite a bit, I think it was probably closer to the second season of YuruYuri in that it had some really nice moments between the characters that made you care more about them and their relationships but it could also mix in some good comedy along the way (and even during the nice moments).

This thread could be a nice idea, it already seems to have given rise to more discussion than you generally get in ten pages of the Viewing Journal thread. I'll add my relevant posts from that thread here:

Sakurako-san e.6 - A lovely detour from the previous couple of episodes, and another much appreciated direct call out to Sherlock Holmes. This show has been a delight.

e.7 - What is this, some kind of larger plot?! A very intriguing episode indeed.

35 Shoutai e.6 - Well, that sure was an action packed 20 minutes! Usagi-chan truly GDLK. Takeru continues to rise above 99% of genre leads. Fun stuff.

e.7 - Probably far too heavy for this kind of show, but it would be super interesting if they followed through with the "threat" at the end of this episode. Even without that, Suginami's story has my attention.

Subete ga F ni Naru e.6 - The actual jewel in the crown of this season. Haunting vibes of both Kara no Kyoukai and Mouryou no Hako, as well as A1's previous Occult Academy (despite not sharing much in the way of direct crew members) continue to excite me, and I can't wait to see where the parallel tales of Shiki and Moe go from here. The fact that a genuinely intriguing mystery story (more Christie than Doyle, in comparison to Sakurako-san) is also layered in-between these heavy character threads is a marvel of storytelling. Still half of the show to go, but I'd say this is looking like my anime of the year.

This is also the third time that Tanezaki Atsumi has stolen my heart after Natsume in My Little Monster and Lisa in Terror in Resonance, which makes me think she doesn't get nearly as much work as she should.

Iron-blooded GUNDAM Orphans e.1 - I like all of it. There were a couple of things I was on the fence about, but I like it all. I'll catch up later today.

e.6 - Man, this show is emotionally charged. And the ED is perfect for blending into the conclusion of the episode proper, pure theater. I hope they weren't teasing a Fumitan heel turn, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am becoming steadily more disillusioned with subete. I haven't seen the most recent episode yet but it's visually jarring for me and the murder aspect is really cheesy and implausible (how could the same computer hardware stay up to date for 15 years XD). I like pseudo intellectual ramballings but I have to find the content appealing too.

The Asterisk War - I'm glad to see that other people have also dropped this like the hot, hot faeces it is because BOY OH BOY.

I didn't even watch any more of it since I posted in the viewing journal thread, but I just hadn't got enough of it out of my system to leave it at that. Currently the most popular show on Crunchyroll though, obviously.

Back