Critique Anime UK News, please!

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Only three more months and that's another year gone. Anime UK News has been going since 3rd Feb 2004, so we're coming up to our third birthday too!

I was wondering if you had any comments about Anime UK News, how you feel about the way the is site maintained, do you enjoy the layout and these forums? What can be improved? We put a lot of effort into the DVD reviews especially, do you read them?

Some solid feedback (good and bad) could be really useful in helping us better develop the site for the future. I'd love to hear what you think.

I've only been a member of the forum since about July and I have to say I love it here, wish I could say there was something I'd suggest to improve the site but to be honest it has everything I was looking for.

I do read the dvd reviews (of the ones I wanna buy anyway) and on the whole I usually agree with them. They're indepth enough and honest which is the best part.

By Fans For fans - what more can you do

Rukario said:
... wait, what? there's a firefox bug? o_o

New Banner please, everything else is great.

seems to be, a few people including myself have problerms of the forums logging us out and then when we log back in, refreshing to cookies so we can't see new posts

tried it with IE for 4 weeks now and it's been fine.

I have been visiting Anime UK News for over a year now, and even had an affiliation with the site for some time. Over the weeks and months, I have seen the site grow and develop, not just in size, but in functionality, interactivity and intuitiveness. So many sites are constantly reinventing themselves in order to keep the spark alive and try to make things fresh, but it is the great sites that find their target market and stick to what they do best.

I find it hard to find fault with anything here, especially when it is updated with such frequency and always seems to be bustling with activity.

Perhaps the only suggestion would be a small cosmetic change here and there. A jazzy new banner? A move away from the default forum buttons? I'm not entirely certain as really any change would just be for a bit of variety for the regular visitors, as the site as it is comes off brilliantly.

i don't see anything to complain about for the site, it works just fine for me and its just right also, i can't really think of much that would need to be changed really desperately ,the layout and everything else is working out just fine.

Ryo Chan said:
that and for u to fix the damn firefox logging out bug :(

People log out?

I have always liked the simplicity and directness of animeuknews. Unlike many anime forums that throw in useless bells and whistles to tempt a few page views, most of the main community features here actually work quite well.

I really thought that the user profile was an interesting feature, and there is more potential in that direction.

I have seen some people ask for rating systems - just be careful here. I have not yet seen a really good rating system. Once you go down that road you are totally into a huge amount of work that could end up being just as crap as animenfo.

The most successful rating systems tend to be rotten-tomatoes style. You turn every review into a positive or negative, and then average it out over several opinions (you really need a good 20+ though). Thats kind of a bit tricky to do right however, and theres a massive amount of work involved.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
A new banner for the forum would be nice. :)

Maybe even a mascot....
We could hold a competion or something and let everyone who wants to try design thier own banner, Paul can give us the dimentions and any important details and everyone posts their banner and we vote for the best, or Paul decides :)

Xelis said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
A new banner for the forum would be nice. :)

Maybe even a mascot....
We could hold a competion or something and let everyone who wants to try design thier own banner, Paul can give us the dimentions and any important details and everyone posts their banner and we vote for the best, or Paul decides :)

Yeah a new banner competition, thats what some of the other forums do, everyone who wants to enter can post their design in a thread and then the mods/admin select the best 5 or 10 and use the poll function for us all to choose the design we like the most

Might i suggest some form of events listing on the site. An area which lists all of the anime / manga events taking place across the uk for quick access and reference.

Thanks for all the feedback so far - please keep it coming! It's really useful in gauging what you want as opposed to just something I cook up on my own.

butch-cassidy said:
Might i suggest some form of events listing on the site. An area which lists all of the anime / manga events taking place across the uk for quick access and reference.
Maybe Paul could integrate this into the the new profile thing. Kinda like how you can bookmark upcoming DVD releases but in this case upcoming events.

I know, Paul can be so nice and buy us all a anime dvd and hes paying. LOL

A new look and a new banner for the site is a must. Also, Make a new section for a RP [role play], where people could start a topic on a story, and people could join and act as their own character. That be so cool, and I love RPs.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be to divide the main reviews archive a little differently - it might be easier for visitors to find a certain title if they were listed by letter rather than just by numbered pages (eg A-F, G-L and so on).

Martin said:
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be to divide the main reviews archive a little differently - it might be easier for visitors to find a certain title if they were listed by letter rather than just by numbered pages (eg A-F, G-L and so on).

I would second a move to make the reviews a little more accesible. Sometimes I am just wanting to look through various reviews rather than find a specific title, so a little more functionality there would be excellent.

Back