Concluding February, beginning March

Ramen89 said:
Im only fifteen guys what do you expect :lol: .

I'm 38 and so I guess most people would say I should know better than to buy bootlegs! but I'm also a single parent with 3 kids who has an addiction for anime and dolls, so I tend to buy these DVDs to supplement my habit :lol:

Ramen89 wrote:
Im only fifteen guys what do you expect .

I'm 38 and so I guess most people would say I should know better than to buy bootlegs! but I'm also a single parent with 3 kids who has an addiction for anime and dolls, so I tend to buy these DVDs to supplement my habit

Sounds like a good enough reason to me :lol: .

valha said:
The trailer look really crap to me, its lucky i know the seire is good tho as seen it in fansubs.
meh, i liked the trailer. And you know my opinion of fansubs so i only have things like trailers and reviews to go on.

Ramen89 said:
Forgive me if I fail to believe that you managed to get all (7? 14 maybe? Seems to be 2 lots labelled 1-7...) of the Japanese DVDs for a penny. Heck, I wouldn't believe they weren't bootlegs if you'd paid a thousand times that much.

Excuse me but who are you to tell me what I did or did not get.

Well if they knew all the official varieties of Trigun released worldwide thye'd know if your purchase was one of those or not.
For instance, on Nausicaa.net they list all the regional versions of Ghibli releases so if yours isn't on the list it's probably a bootleg.

IanC said:
valha said:
The trailer look really crap to me, its lucky i know the seire is good tho as seen it in fansubs.
meh, i liked the trailer. And you know my opinion of fansubs so i only have things like trailers and reviews to go on.

Didnt you find the voice on the trailer very supid and just made the serie seem like it was boring?
if you didnt it must have just been me who though so ... oh well :)

The voice-over on the trailer wasn't the best thing, but it was only done in that style to give the whole 20's America news report feel. The actual excerpts looked good.

Ramen89 said:
Excuse me but who are you to tell me what I did or did not get.
I didn't want you thinking you owned an official set of DVDs when this was, in my opinion, unlikely; I will make no comment on the ethical/moral/legal issues involved, and have no intention of upsetting you.

As to what you do have, I still think they're bootlegs. They certainly aren't the Japanese DVDs, as you originally said. I just don't believe that official DVDs sell that cheaply first hand. Even though you actually did pay a thousand times the price you mentioned (including shipping).

Paul said:
Ramen, if you wanted, you can probably post up the auction/product URL and we can let you know if it's a bootlegged copy or not. Sadly, I was duped in my younger days (and paid a lot more than 1p), so I know most of the typical signs (Region free DVDs, Chinese subtitles, Gold DVD logo etc). To be fair, it sounds like a bootleg if you paid 1p, especially if it was on EBay or some other auction site.

Umm, bit worried now... :?
I brought most of my anime of ebay to save cash (alto I didn't buy anything for as little as 1p, I decided those anime - all from the same seller I believe - were a little too suspicious).
Is bootlegging really that common?
Are there any ways to positively identify bootlegs?
Surely Chinese subs just means Chinese people will buy it too?
Plenty of DVDs are region free, right?

:oops: :cry: :oops: :cry: :oops: :cry:

Ramadahl said:
Is bootlegging really that common?
Are there any ways to positively identify bootlegs?
Surely Chinese subs just means Chinese people will buy it too?
Plenty of DVDs are region free, right?

1. Yes. Especially on eBay. 99% of the anime DVDs on there are bootlegs. So are practically all of the soundtrack CDs. Amazon marketplace is little better.
2. Yes, there are. there is an excellent FAQ about it here, basically anything Region 0, 26 episodes to 3 discs, chinese and english subtitles, "DVD" logo in any other colour than black and white is suspect.
3. Most bootlegs are produced in China or Hong Kong, hence the Chinese subs and the poor quality of the English subs (usually translated from the Chinese rather than directly from the dialogue).
4. Not all Region 0 DVDs are pirate, but many are.

Sorry, but you may well find out that your collection is mainly bootleg- and believe me, I know exactly how that feels, happened to me a while back.

I've just had a very ... painful ... evening :cry:

Thanks to Red XIII for the link, I never knew there was so much bootlegging going on, or that bootleggers went to such lengths to disguise the DVDs.

In retrospect, I guess I have been rather naive. Oh, well, another lesson learned, stick to more reputable places in the future...

i recently bought the first two discs of RahXephon from Ebay since i've been promising them to myself for a while now, and i'm short of cash. i checked both were region 2, and that they were in their original cellophane wrapping. fortunately, that was enough for me to believe that if they are bootlegs, they are the most convincing ones i've ever seen. the disc itself, the packaging, the inlay booklet and the sellers' reputations all pointed to them being bona fide 'proper' editions - and they are excellent. however, it could all too easily have gone wrong...which is why i won't make a habit out of anime on Ebay. i might not be so lucky next time.

Even with legit DVDs there are hazards. I bought Tenchi GXP volume 6 a few weeks back and now the seller is 'no longer a registered user' and won't respond to my e-mails. Looks like I will be using eBay's "item not received" process.

some times you get lucky with ebay (but not much)
The best way to make sure they are not is to get them from a good site like play.com or amazon, or you can check the profile of the person you are buying it from.

I myself stay far away from ebay and dont buy anything from it.

Well, most of the pirate sellers have several thousand positive feedback or even a "squaretrade" logo, although currently eBay does have a feedback filter active so you can easily find the negatives and neutrals. Nonetheless, I've pretty much had my fill of ebay, both as a buyer and a seller.

just to warn you, i've heard of Ebay users buying positive feedback. i'm not sure how that is done even if it's true, but it is kinda worrying. the DVDs i bought were from people who had ended up with one or two duplicates they were selling, and didn't seem to be selling in bulk. in short they were genuine non-professional sellers, but it is quite risky.

If a person is going to sell bootlegs on ebay they should at least let people know what they are and that they are not the real thing. What i hate the most is when people try to sell bootlegs saying that they are the real thing.

Paul said:
Incidently, the Love Hina #6 disc contains trailers for GunGrave and Full Metal Alchemist. The GG trailer is fine (even though it's just the opening animation) but the FMA trailer was a bit too cheesy for my tastes- you know the classic gruff American voice that narrates every Hollywood trailer, well, FMA has got one just like him ;)

Is that the 'but they're not alone' trailer? The one on the official FMA site? I thought it was awesome! (I like the dub). It sort of set up the scene with slow build-up, then it kicks in with pounding orchestral music and great action scenes from the series, and ends with a BANG! I know its cheesy but I enjoyed it, different strokes for different folks, hehe.

Also it was the first I'd ever seen of the series that everyone kept talking about, I'd never seen the fansubs, so I only had that trailer and a couple of clips to go on before the Vol.1 R1 release, which I have now got. Its annoying that it'll probably take up to two years till it all gets released, even longer for the R2's :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:

valha said:
If a person is going to sell bootlegs on ebay they should at least let people know what they are and that they are not the real thing. What i hate the most is when people try to sell bootlegs saying that they are the real thing.

If they did that, they wouldn't be able to sell them!

Miaka-chan said:
valha said:

If they did that, they wouldn't be able to sell them!

Alot of people buy bootlegs knowing what they are anyway.

Back