Concluding February, beginning March

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
With February now but a distant memory, March promises to be a busy (and expensive!) month for UK anime fans. There are 3 new shows launching over the next 4 weeks in Chobits, Chrono Crusade and Yu Yu Hakusho, while the latest instalments of Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and Kiddy Grade only add to the excitement. March also sees the UK bid farewell to three series; Love Hina, .hack//SIGN and Final Fantasy Unlimited. Nostalgic anime fans should keep an eye out for Animazing's release of the original Dominion Tank Police OVAs.

Looking back on February, it was an event-filled month and provided us with some exciting, enthusiastic news to report. Our favourite news stories from the month include "New MVM anime acquisitions for the UK", "Naruto is licensed by ShoPro/Viz" and "Beez reveal their UK plans for 2005!".

Our community forums continued to expand in February, with a record 154 new topics created and 31 new users signing up. As always, please feel welcome to drop by and say hello sometime.

And finally, a big "thank you!" to everyone who has taken the time to order their anime via our affiliation with the anime-on-line shop, it's really appreciated.

Finally, no more FF: Unlimited. I wonder how well that sold for ADV? Anyway, to me March seems slighty dry on new titles compared to the last two months, but with more Bebop and Trigun, and three decent new series, it could be a lot worse.

From what I've read elsewhere, FF:U was one of their biggest sellers. Not surprising given FF is a household name in the UK.

I know what you mean about March being a little dry, it's the 'calm before the storm'. Neither Chrono Crusade or Chobits really excite my imagination, but as you say; the new volumes of Bebop and Trigun look great.

Now April looks mighty tasty. Gungrave #1 and Haibane Renmei #1 are both A+ shows, the last volume of Kino's Journey #4 will be an event and then we have Ghost In The Shell - Stand Alone Complex #3, Last Exile #3, Cowboy Bebop #4 and Witch Hunter Robin #1. Outstanding. And it gets better from there too.

Not a big month for me , Chrono Crusade dosent hold my appeal and while I think the Chobits manga is wonderful and one of my all time favourites, the anime isnt as good. Kiddy Grade #7 and Rune Soldier #5 , are my March purchases.

In April however there are several titles I want in series I continue to collect, probably looking forward to Stand Alone Complex #3 and Last Exile #3 the most.

Its May im most excited about though, Full Metal Alchemist #1 and -ROD-The TV #1 :twisted: , cant wait.

Im gonna check out YYH (art box yay), and thats about it, I would have got Trigun but I just bought the entire set off ebay for 1p (seriously one pence!!).

oh boy march....
Yu Yu Hakusho: Vol.1 (Limited Edition)
Kiddy Grade - Case 7: Lurking Shadows
Love Hina - Vol.6: And The Winner Is...
Trigun - Vol. 2: Lost Past
Chobits: Vol.1 - Persocom
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi - Vol. 3
Get Backers: Vol.2 - Find The Fine Arts
Gad Guard - Vol.2: Corruption
Chrono Crusade - Vol. 1: A Plague Of Demons
Cowboy Bebop Vol.3
.Hack//Sign Vol. 7 Artbox

alot...... huh :p

Ramen89 said:
I would have got Trigun but I just bought the entire set off ebay for 1p (seriously one pence!!).

Chomolungma said:
Are you sure they aren't those bootlegs that always seem to fit a series into 3 DVDs?

I don't think it matters if it is a Bootleg copy, not for 1 penny anyway :lol:

After reading the review in Neo, I actually think I fancy getting Chrono Crusade :shock:

I've got my sights set on Kiddy Grade #7 and Chrono Crusade #1, the others will go on the rental or 'eventually' list whilst I catch up on some earlier releases and import the last couple of volumes of Tenchi GXP.

Ramen89 said:
Its not a bootleg just a Japanese dvd, but for 1p who cares
Forgive me if I fail to believe that you managed to get all (7? 14 maybe? Seems to be 2 lots labelled 1-7...) of the Japanese DVDs for a penny. Heck, I wouldn't believe they weren't bootlegs if you'd paid a thousand times that much.

Colin said:
Ramen89 said:
Its not a bootleg just a Japanese dvd, but for 1p who cares
Forgive me if I fail to believe that you managed to get all (7? 14 maybe? Seems to be 2 lots labelled 1-7...) of the Japanese DVDs for a penny. Heck, I wouldn't believe they weren't bootlegs if you'd paid a thousand times that much.

As he said who cares for 1 penny :wink:

The surest way to find out is when they arrive if there is anything to do with Chinese on them, i.e. subtitles.
My first set of Trigun discs were VCDs from Singapore, they cost me £4. I have slowly replaced them with region 1 DVDs, as I love the dub but as long as you're aware you're buying something that isn't legit, I can't see it's much different from fansubs. Whether anyone on here buys those DVDs or not, hundreds of people on ebay do and most of them know what they're buying!
What annoys me is people who sell fansubs on ebay, especially fansubs of licensed anime :(

Incidently, the Love Hina #6 disc contains trailers for GunGrave and Full Metal Alchemist. The GG trailer is fine (even though it's just the opening animation) but the FMA trailer was a bit too cheesy for my tastes- you know the classic gruff American voice that narrates every Hollywood trailer, well, FMA has got one just like him ;)

Excuse me but who are you to tell me what I did or did not get.

Ramen89 said:

Excuse me but who are you to tell me what I did or did not get.

Now, now. Let's try and keep this thread pleasant. Bootlegs are never a positive subject.

Ramen, if you wanted, you can probably post up the auction/product URL and we can let you know if it's a bootlegged copy or not. Sadly, I was duped in my younger days (and paid a lot more than 1p), so I know most of the typical signs (Region free DVDs, Chinese subtitles, Gold DVD logo etc). To be fair, it sounds like a bootleg if you paid 1p, especially if it was on EBay or some other auction site.

Ramen89 said:
There Hong Kong dvds, I got some Hong Kong Hunter X Hunters a while back off ebay, and there were good. Lots of people were selling the same type of dvds and one of the auctions had a preview of the subtitles and they seemed fine so at least there readable I coundt care otherwise.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6370535848&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Not all Hong Kong DVDs are bootlegs, some of them are official but if it's region free that's what they tend to be.
You might find, like me, once you've seen Trigun you'd want to go for the official releases for the dubbed version etc (The dub is surprisingly good :D ).
I often see these HK DVDs in the same light as fansubs. Official DVDs are expensive and you never know if you're gonna enjoy the series, so I often buy these DVDs to see if a series is worth getting on R1 or R2 DVD.

I personally don't mind these DVDs and as with everything, it's personal choice whether you buy them or not.

Back