Code Geass- Lelouch of the Rebellion

hopeful_monster

Thousand Master
After having just watched episodes 12-13 of Code Geass and thinking it is really cool, wondering what other people think of it. Was almost put off by the first episode, but stuck with it and it is rapidly growing into one of my favourite series. it combines fluid mecha action, grey politics (i.e. not black and white), media manipulation /propaganda which is now as much a part of war and terrorism/ freedom fighting as guns and bullets, and showing war is hell, but not doing in a preachy way (a la Gundam), or a depressing way (a la She/Saikano). Neither side has an insurmountable advantage, characters are realistic (smeg up, have believable feelings) and not everything goes as planned ( 2 wins, 1 loss, 1 no score draw).
Only things that irritate me are some of the character designs (not keen on some of the art) and the product placement, which started off subtle, like spot the cat in Trigun, but has got has a bit OTT in the last few episodes.

For a series sponsored by Pizza Hut, Code Geass is like the anime equivalent of fast food. It's a very entertaining, exciting and fluid show that combines just about every popular anime cliche from mecha to a band of ditzy school girls.

I'm not sure whether Code Geass is actually a good series or just entertaining. It hasn't grabbed me yet, there is not much emotional resonance with the characters, but still, I like watching it anyway :)

It's clearly a modern Sunrise anime too, very influenced by Gundam Seed and My-Hime - and it's directed by Goro Taniguchi, who won my heart with Planetes and Infinite Ryvius. The truth is, the more I see of Geass, the more I enjoy it.

I'm loving the series. I admit the only reason I starting to watch it was as it was Sunrise and CLAMP did the character designs, but it has surprised me how much I've really gotten into it.

I think it's both an enjoyable and a good, solid series. Yeah, there is a lot there for pure fun and pretty value, but I think there is a strong story at the heart of it, and we are getting to see more emotional elements, such as the recent events with Shirley.

I have been really enjoying the show so far. I have never watched a mecha anime before so i cant draw comparisons but if there as good as this then i may check some more out.

I dont seem to have a problem with clamps animation style, i have always quite liked it. As has been stated the story is really engrossing and your never sure which way the battles may swing (which is refreshing)!

Now im off to get some food from pizza hut!

Code Geass 14, watched it and while what happened at the end was disturbingly predictable (saw it coming a mile off), wondering what is going to happen now with Shirley. Is she going to be cast off and generally ignored, or is she still going to be used. I mean we have a girl going from being absolutely infatuated with a boy, to not knowing his name? And they are still both on the student council, that's going to raise a lot of questions. Preview looked like next episode may answer some of these questions but hoping they don't just sweep it under the carpet. --

Last edited by a moderator:
hopeful_monster said:
After having just watched episodes 12-13 of Code Geass and thinking it is really cool, wondering what other people think of it. Was almost put off by the first episode, but stuck with it and it is rapidly growing into one of my favourite series.

I love it, and my opinions of it are much the same as your own. It could have totally hammed it up initially, and Lelouch himself is a bit unbelievable - his Zero alter-ego and casual disregard for human/ally/enemy/civilian life is almost artificial and at odds with his real personality. Its almost evil twin/two face, territory, and you have to suspend your disbelief.

In fact every other character is really well done. Suzaku is excellent as the 'good guy' character on the other team, and not even appreciated by his own side, despite being their best fighter. In fact special bonus points for giving the opposing side the best mecha.

hopeful_monster said:
it combines fluid mecha action, grey politics (i.e. not black and white), media manipulation /propaganda which is now as much a part of war and terrorism/ freedom fighting as guns and bullets, and showing war is hell, but not doing in a preachy way (a la Gundam), or a depressing way (a la She/Saikano). Neither side has an insurmountable advantage, characters are realistic (smeg up, have believable feelings) and not everything goes as planned ( 2 wins, 1 loss, 1 no score draw).

Its better than fluid, i watch this on a projector and I am well used to Sunrise doing mecha stuff, but they have gone up to 11 on this. Realistic vehicular battle damage is almost never done in TV anime. The way the mecha actually fight is stunningly choreographed too. There is a huge amount of money in this production, and Sunrise went to town on it.

Your comment on the realistic way it is depicted is bang on - Zero for all his arrogance has to eat a lot of humble pie. Brittania aren't all dominating either, and the characters themselves are quite interesting. The way that consequence hits home pretty hard for Lelouch is great too.

hopeful_monster said:
Only things that irritate me are some of the character designs (not keen on some of the art) and the product placement, which started off subtle, like spot the cat in Trigun, but has got has a bit OTT in the last few episodes.

I think the CLAMP character designs and fashion sense are hopelessly misplaced in some cases. It was a very odd design choice. I understand that they can't use Kenichi Yoshida again (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=1726) (King Gainer, Eureka 7) for novelties sake, but those designs only barely suit, and are totally at odds with the kind of on-the-level adventure anime that Sunrise typically make.

Still great show, I eagerly await every episode after marathoning 13 or so just like yourself. There is a real 'must watch more' taste to this show, even the comedy episode was entertaining.

Episode 15 Mao's dead my furry **** also while Shirley's behaviour has been kind of explained hopefully we haven't seen the end of it. By the trail for the next series the midden is going to hit the windmill soon. cool

I must admit I'm now thoroughly enjoying Code Geass, its taken me a while to accept this fact, but it's probably my favourite show airing in Japan at the moment (though Death Note and Nodame Cantabile have their moments too).

With the last couple of episodes (18 and 19) it's starting to feel more and more like a Gundam series (flying mecha being the latest step towards Gundam) and it's hard not to admire just how much of a bastard Lulu can be - usually an angsty, weak spirited character like Suzaku would be the lead, but with Lulu, it's almost completely subverting the mecha formula; here's someone who relishes playing god and is arguably insane.

Although it sometimes falls into the trap of being a little sexist (female nudity keeps cropping up, episode 19 was especially blatant), the good production values, massive cast and sweeping story have me hooked. I just hope they can maintain this pace until the end.

Watched episode 21 last night and man was that a curve ball i was not expecting. While the equality Yuffie was giving would probably placate most of the japanese, wonder if now there will be a counter revolution from the Britannians. How is Zero and the knights going to react, or Kyoto, Nina sure looked pissed/ petrified.
Also curious as to what Diethard was doing with Nunnally's nurse... she going to get captured again? or are they after Lulu...

Can't wait till the next episode, but curious how they are going to wrap it up by the last episode (there are going to be 25 (not including recaps) and still leave enough for a the second series. Have a fwe ideas
the whole geass/ Ragnarok has barely been touched, so some exposition would be nice
Taking the fight to Brittania or to other Area's

last night i created a post to ask them about their view of geass coz it seems that it's been barely mentioned and a guy redirected me here... stupid me

here's what i said anyway:

I read the review from Newtype mag so I was curious and did watch it and thank god I did.happy happy happy I really love how the graphics is so detailed, the colours, the characters, the background, just so amazing. Character design were from Clamp. Clamp mangakas are really amazing. wow sugoi sugoi

The main character is not that heroic thing going on - very compassionate, very caring and values every person's life. He has balance - not compassionate and not inhumane. His way of thinking is somewhat similar to Light (Kira) from Death Note (which I also adore). nod nod nod It will make you think if he is doing the right thing or not for sacrificing other people's life for the greater good or personal goal. one eyebrow raise I think these break the stereotype qualities of a so-called hero. agree agree agree Though he is the main character, he also loses and has weaknesses which is great. that's the way it should be Also, every episode is a cliff hanger that makes you want to watch the next one right away. Unfortunately, it isn't finish yet. cry cry cry

I've read some personal reviews that Gundam (which I haven't seen yet) is better than Code Geass being a mecha anime so I can't make comparison yet. frown But I hope this anime will be recognize by many anime fans and be on DVD soon. that would be good

One more thing, I wonder if Pizza Hut provided a budget for this anime like promotional value coz its logo often appears exactly and clearly. There better be payment ^_< hehehehe

naya_lulu said:
But I hope this anime will be recognize by many anime fans...

It certainly has in Japan as it was voted one of this years best anime series at the Tokyo Anime Awards - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ime-awards

And as it's mecha and CLAMP are involved, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets picked up for a region 1 release before long. And although it's about to end, when the Autumn comes around, we'll have a second season to enjoy.

naya_lulu said:
One more thing, I wonder if Pizza Hut provided a budget for this anime like promotional value coz its logo often appears exactly and clearly. There better be payment ^_<

Yeah, Pizza Hut are sponsoring the show, and in Japan, Pizza Hut boxes have Code Geass illustrations on them ^_____^

naya_lulu said:
I've read some personal reviews that Gundam (which I haven't seen yet) is better than Code Geass being a mecha anime so I can't make comparison yet. frown
Seen Gundam Wing (dull), Seed (emo) and Seed Desinty (Seed version 2), and while there are similarities especially with Seed teenage mecha pilots, pink haired princesses, and Machiavellian politics it is nowhere as emo and black & white as Gundam Seed.

Akaihane said:
It certainly has in Japan as it was voted one of this years best anime series at the Tokyo Anime Awards - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ime-awards

Those top 3 anime are really deserving on that spot.. wide smile ^____^ I also mean that I hope it will become popular in the west just like Death Note coz Viz Media has signed an agreement with Nippon Television Network Corporation to offer the Death Note anime via digital download in America while it is currently being produced. If the anime fans in the West take notice of this anime, the DVD would reach us soon.

Akaihane said:
And as it's mecha and CLAMP are involved, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets picked up for a region 1 release before long. And although it's about to end, when the Autumn comes around, we'll have a second season to enjoy.

true true true but i hope before season 1 ends, i hope they would give us some kind of satisfaction coz it's getting complicated like - what happened to Jeremiah? coz the doctors from Narita almost hit him and they are carrying a gas tank and that tank is similar to the first tank carrying CC... will he posses geass as well? what happened on that incident when they were on the island. the small pyramid stone just lighted, there's no explanation on that and who is that little girl they are flashing while Zero is in the news, you know she's with the 4 old men. she's the one providing the robots right or that's Kyoto? I think i'll have to watch it again....

every episode's getting complicated and wants to know what's next... how painful though its worth the pain...^______^ love this

hopeful_monster said:
Seen Gundam Wing (dull), Seed (emo) and Seed Desinty (Seed version 2), and while there are similarities especially with Seed teenage mecha pilots, pink haired princesses, and Machiavellian politics it is nowhere as emo and black & white as Gundam Seed.

that's good to know coz i think it's the best mecha anime i've ever seen seconded by evangelion... i wonder if it will top every anime mecha? wondering.. hopes so... ^_^

"All you Japanese, I have one wish. Could you all die?"

Episode 22 is insane! Big time massacre. Just as you figured the series was going to calm down a bit, this happens:

watching episode 22
made my heart really jump... ba dum dum dum it is so unexpected... this is so sad... i feel sorry for Euphie and Zero cant control anymore using his geass.... this episode is such a shocker... i'm still shaking...

please don't tell me Suzuku got geass ability???? please NO, i like him but he's quite irritating...

damn im still shaking out of shock.....

USE SPOILER TAGS :!: :!: :!: :!:
Haven't seen episode 22 and you seem to have done a damn good job of blowing a major twist you bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleepers

WOW, this is the first time I've ever spoiled someone. For what it's worth, sorry, hopeful_monster.

With that said, I don't see the need for spoiler tags in this thread. If you don't want to be spoiled on fansubs for Code Geass then you shouldn't be reading this thread at all since it's clearly going to contain regular commentary on the most recent episodes. Otherwise we may as well spoiler tag this entire thread.

Back