Code Geass - Lelouch of the Rebellion at the BBFC

IAmNotKira said:
At last! I've been waiting for this for ag- Oh look the price is retarded.

Gundam 00 is £35 (beez as well), £25 off amazon which isn't bad but i would probably wait for another drop. However £45? Are you guys sure this isn't a typo?
Also i feel sorry for the beez representative looking through these comments, i'm one of the biggest code geass fans and i still ain't buying it for that much.

Actually I personally pretty much agree with the above comments. I argued for a £39.99 RRP maximum for the record here too and am again pushing for that now so watch this space. There are reasons behind it being a higher price than sets such as Ouran etc, that I can't really go into here as it's not my business again.

I'm forwarding this thread back along with a more detailed analysis to see if anything can be done though so watch this space :).

Oh and while I am here...:

CitizenGeek said:
That price is really just absurd, especially the way the anime market is right now. I loved Code Geass, but at that price (considering I can get the entire series of Claymore or Ouran Host Club for much less than that RRP) I'll give it a miss!

I assume when you say "the way the anime market is right now" you mean how you perceive pricings. As if you mean the state of it then your statement proves a complete lack of knowledge about it I'm afraid!

That said assuming you meant in terms of pricing, I completely understand your sentiment on pricing of it as it's one I personally share, whilst matching Ouran and Claymore etc is not a realistic possibility for a number of reasons I agree there's a middle-ground that needs to be hit and it's one that at least online retailers can help to achieve vs the RRP just now.

I'll see what I can do about this for Code Geass anyway for now anyway, even if it's just for box 2 :)!

beez_andrew said:
IAmNotKira said:
At last! I've been waiting for this for ag- Oh look the price is retarded.

Gundam 00 is £35 (beez as well), £25 off amazon which isn't bad but i would probably wait for another drop. However £45? Are you guys sure this isn't a typo?
Also i feel sorry for the beez representative looking through these comments, i'm one of the biggest code geass fans and i still ain't buying it for that much.

Actually I personally pretty much agree with the above comments. I argued for a £39.99 RRP maximum for the record here too and am again pushing for that now so watch this space. There are reasons behind it being a higher price than sets such as Ouran etc, that I can't really go into here as it's not my business again.

I'm forwarding this thread back along with a more detailed analysis to see if anything can be done though so watch this space :).

Wow, I wasn't expecting a reply. You see, this is what makes me more inclined to buy a companys products, when they actually visit forums and talk to the community.

That price is way too much. Unless you have some decent extras to go with it, no one will buy it. Not even the FMA half season sets are that much.

I want this show BUUUUUUUTT
IT'S SOOO Expensive

I was seriously hoping for like a £30 rrp £35 at the most
I hope you have a sale for it at the expo like with gurren

The prices of these latest tites Cowboy Bebop Remix & Code Geass are not that bad really. It unrealistic for BEEZ to compete with the prices of MANGA when titles sell a lot more than BEEZ title could ever hope. But these latest prices are what they should be competitive with MVM prices.

The cowboy remix is the same RRP price as an MVM complete box set Re-release. Code Geass is the slightly cheaper than the RRP of three MVM dvds which is about the same amount DVD MVM would sell Code Geass if owned the license.

I don't agree with all the prices BEEZ are setting though as Gundam 00 simply works out more expensive to release with this method than the old 5 episode method per disc that they did with previous 50 episodes gundam shows.

Dave said:
The prices of these latest tites Cowboy Bebop Remix & Code Geass are not that bad really. It unrealistic for BEEZ to compete with the prices of MANGA when titles sell a lot more than BEEZ title could ever hope. But these latest prices are what they should be competitive with MVM prices.

The cowboy remix is the same RRP price as an MVM complete box set Re-release. Code Geass is the slightly cheaper than the RRP of three MVM dvds which is about the same amount DVD MVM would sell Code Geass if owned the license.

I don't agree with all the prices BEEZ are setting though as Gundam 00 simply works out more expensive to release with this method than the old 5 episode method per disc that they did with previous 50 episodes gundam shows.

Think about it
WHY do they sell more!!???

Why do Manga titles sell more? Because their shows are more popular and well known, that's why. That's also why they can sell them cheaper.

Think about this for a minute before complaining. £35 for half of a six disc series. That's £11.66 a disc. That's about the same as MVM's single discs go for on release, and you have to wait months to collect those and the cover art / packaging is nowhere near as high-quality as Beez's. £35 is fair, if we can get it for £30, then that's pretty good value.

unellmay said:
Dave said:

Think about it
WHY do they sell more!!???

Quite simply, MANGA are the leading name anime when they first released anime on VHS back in day in the early 90's with titles like akira, Guyver, Fist of the North Star Movie AND ... Urotsukidoji :). They dominated the market in the VHS era and still do this present day. The dominace been so much that a lot of people still make the mistake that anime was actual called MANGA.

Been the dominating force in UK anime they can push there DVD's through high street retail chain so much easier and get a lot more mass media exposer and audience.

Hearing some of the sale figures quoted frankly shows how much the extra retail space and exposer helps:

MANGA Collection titles selling 5000 copies each (MANGA Collection were cheap dvd releases DUB only of titles like Red Hawk, Magic Knight Rayearth OVA, Vampire Wrs, etc)

Naruto selling 150,000 Copies, taking account there been 20 releases so far (5 of them where Box set re-release) thats 7500 copies each.

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex which was released on 7 seperate Disc at RRP £19.99 similar to the anime competitors at the time the first volume sold 3500 copies in it first week

Ghost in the Shell 2nd movie selling 35000 copies.

When BEEZ & MVM only just manage to reach 1000 sales per DVD that why Manga Can afford to release titles cheaper.

ayase said:
Why do Manga titles sell more? Because their shows are more popular and well known, that's why. That's also why they can sell them cheaper.

Think about this for a minute before complaining. £35 for half of a six disc series. That's £11.66 a disc. That's about the same as MVM's single discs go for on release, and you have to wait months to collect those and the cover art / packaging is nowhere near as high-quality as Beez's. £35 is fair, if we can get it for £30, then that's pretty good value.

First of all it's £45 pound you silly goose

2.Your telling me Haruhi isn't popular?
Your telling me GUNDAM isn't popular?

3.COVER ART!!!????? what!??

4.selling for a cheaper price would be an investment
becuase I don't know about you but there are many people
who look at prices and decide whether to buy or not and whether
you think so or not ,WHEN IT'S CHEAPER MORE PEOPLE BUY IT
THEREBY GETTING MORE MONEY.How many people do you get put off
by such a large price? answer A LOT

5.And perhaps they should invest in these kinds of popular shows that
manga has IT'S PAINFULLY OBVIOUS What the next big thing is gonna be
*cough soul eater cough*

p.s do people buy those mvm single volumes? O_O

It should be more than Gundam 00 logically because we're getting more episodes per chunk. Gundam 00 is coming out in 3 drops compared to Geass' 2 (setting aside potential second seasons). If we're going to directly compare a series I don't think comparing 9 episodes to 13 should be ignored.

That's not to say that I would be displeased if Andrew manages to get the second set out for less ;) but for these newer shows I don't mind paying new show prices. When they have been out a while and get rebundled (a la Bebop) the prices will no doubt be lower, but I'd like to see them before then and ~£10 a disc online isn't crazy money. The trend is improving and we're getting faster releases, often with more stuff on them than the R1s and promises of better quality control.

R

To address the only point really worth addressing:
unellmay said:
First of all it's £45 pound [sic]
RRP means nothing, only what it is actually being sold for. Look at the Play link. £34.99. That means, uh, you can buy it for £34.99.

And compared to the likes of Naruto, Bleach and GITS: SAC then yeah, I'd say the Haruhi and Gundam fanbases in the UK are positively miniscule.

ayase said:
To address the only point really worth addressing:
unellmay said:
First of all it's £45 pound [sic]
RRP means nothing, only what it is actually being sold for. Look at the Play link. £34.99. That means, uh, you can buy it for £34.99.

And compared to the likes of Naruto, Bleach and GITS: SAC then yeah, I'd say the Haruhi and Gundam fanbases in the UK are positively miniscule.

rrp means retail
if the retail was £35

then that link would be £25

It also means it would've more than likely been sold for £29.99 on release had the RRP been £5 less. RRP discounts rarely go below 50% unless we're talking clearance prices, so the RRP does matter.

Code Geass, Haruhi and Gundam are three of the most popular titles in existence, just like Death Note, Claymore and Darker than BLACK are all popular. Face it; Beez are milking popular titles for all they're worth.

(we really need that WTF smiley)

Yeah... and If the RRP had been £18360 it would have been £18350. What's your point exactly?

I wouldn't call offering a half series box (without doing singles first) for just over £10 a disc unfair and certainly not "milking it". If they'd been doing that surely they would have stuck to single disc releases? And again, how is this any worse than the way MVM operate? So why all the Beez hate?

I'm not sure Gundam actually performs that well on shop shelves. Bandai in R1 have yet to license quite a few Gundam shows and I don't really get much sense of Gundam fever over here. Most of my anime-watching friends know of it but don't collect it. I called around several HMVs with anime sections to try to get a copy of the 00 LE without bothering to order it "blind" last week and not one recognised the brand name or said they'd consider stocking either edition.

In terms of fanbase, I completely agree that Geass, Haruhi, Gurren Lagann etc are massive hits. In terms of the percentage of that fanbase who follow through and buy the discs though? I'm not convinced. Presumably Beez know how well Gundam is likely to do from having released Seed. The (more or less) simultaneous release with the US should help this time around with 00 but I doubt it will touch something like Death Note. Sometimes I feel as though Geass (TTGL too) is now in the phase where its fanbase have almost all seen R2, got tired of the hype and mostly started bashing it and new fans as they wait for the next big thing to hit.

It would be nice if Beez would put out something mediocre but astronomically popular as Manga have managed to do to fund all their more niche shows.

R

Tell me, did you not recently pay £18 on release for the first season (not half) of BL in an art box? I know I did. I even pre-ordered the second season for the same amount.

£70 for a 26 episode series is a joke. That's why all the Beez "hate". Even Mr. French himself said he was pushing for a RRP of £39.99 in this very thread. Why would he do that if he thought the RRP was fair?

ayase said:
(we really need that WTF smiley)

Yeah... and If the RRP had been £18360 it would have been £18350. What's your point exactly?

I wouldn't call offering a half series box (without doing singles first) for just over £10 a disc unfair and certainly not "milking it". If they'd been doing that surely they would have stuck to single disc releases? And again, how is this any worse than the way MVM operate? So why all the Beez hate?

1. we do Just for this statement

2.I obviously want it for a low price because I'm a poor 17 year old

3.I actually want code geass
I have no idea if mvm has anything I want this season
That's why I'm moaning about it

plus when the mvm box sets come out they're like £30 not rrp I know

Aion said:
Tell me, did you not recently pay £18 on release for the first season (not half) of BL in an art box? I know I did. I even pre-ordered the second season for the same amount.
Yeah, but that's a re-release of a series that's already made money in singles form. When they came out you wouldn't have been able to buy them for less than a tenner each.

It isn't a re-release if no R2 box set has been released previously.

I understand what you're saying but, if it meant getting a cheaper box set, I'd be willing to wait for singles to be released first. But in the past Beez have released singles and still charged a silly amount for box sets. Look at .hack//SIGN, Cowboy Bebop, Planetes, WHR and Wolf's Rain.

::sigh::

Whatever. I'm just trying to redress the preconception that all anime fans are complete cheapskates who complain about the price of new, half series boxes for less than singles would have cost, after downloading the fansubs for nothing (how else would you have watched it and become a fan?) and / or already owning the R1 release (Aion). And come on, if you or your parent / guardian can afford a computer and internet connection then saving up £35 can't be that difficult.

FYI, I paid £10 each for my 6 Black Lagoon and 6 Ergo Proxy singles. They would have been totally worth it if the cover art hadn't been screwed up on some volumes, or they'd included a nice artbox. Neither of which I imagine will be problems with this release.

Back