Clinton v Trump: Dawn of Presidency

The establishment get another kick in the balls. While I don't agree with Brexit or Trump I totally understand why this is happening in the world. People are fed up of the political corrupt elite of which Clinton perhaps is the most guilty of being in America. It is true that these trade deals have gone along way to destroying the lives of many hardworking people in first world countries like the UK and the US. Trump is a terrible man, just like Farage, but their message however unrealistic was one that people wanted to believe and stand behind. Global economics on the grandiose scale seen over the last few decades has wrecked communities and the prospects of generations of people. When given the chance to have their voice heard the people have made their stance.

Just like how in the UK the Labour party had veered to far to the centre right, the same could be said of the Democrats. Now Corbyn is in charge and the SNP have control of Scotland. The Democrats just like Labour had become severely out of touch with their supporters. If they had elected Bernie Sanders things would have been different. Clinton had so much baggage while Sanders had none and also the right message, but the corrupt political elite made sure he didn't win. Sanders' message was actually very similar to Donald Trump just without the venom.

Anyone surprised by Trumps victory (which after Brexit I doubt anyone really is) should watch Trumps last ad and the message it portrays.

Forgetting everything Trump ever said in this insane campaign, forgetting how in all likelihood he isn't capable of producing such change, forgetting the wall, sexual assaults, Muslim bans the lot of it. Forgetting all that for one moment, that ad is perfect. It sums up how many people in the US and all around the world feel, especially here in the UK too. That message won through to the moderates, it shouldn't have been enough to forget all of Trumps misdemeanors but it was. I've watched the ad a few times and honestly it's pretty inspirational, it's hard to admit that but it's the truth.

I have no idea what the next 4 years will be like for Global Politics, as if Brexit wasn't enough. But the old establishment has had it's ass kicked. Through that we got Corbyn, I suspect through that we'll also get Sanders or someone similar. That's the silver lining I find in all of this.

You keep talking about the corrupt elite, but Trump himself is as "corrupt elite" as its possible to get outside of brutal dictatorships.

Anyone opposed to any corrupt elite that then uses that as a reason to vote for Trump is either stabbing themselves in the back or has a very very weird concept of such a notion.

It's kind of funny in a sick way. So many of the things that he attacked Clinton over, Donald Trump is more of even than Hillary Clinton...

I'm firmly anti-Trump, but I do think this whole thing (even more obviously than Brexit) paints a fascinating case study of what happens when the people who 'write history' / commentate (ie. the largely left leaning audience of the media / Twitter) effectively 'lose'.

It basically exposes the concept of an enclosed space where people are just reaffirming their opinions with people who agree with them, but are then shocked by the fact their opinion is actually outnumbered by those that exist outside of that safe space.

I have no idea what the next 4 years will be like for Global Politics, as if Brexit wasn't enough. But the old establishment has had it's ass kicked. Through that we got Corbyn, I suspect through that we'll also get Sanders or someone similar. That's the silver lining I find in all of this.

Nope, not even slightly.

I admire your optimism, but the lesson that will be taken away from this is simply not to let an anti-establishment candidate on the ballot.

If we're being honest, Sanders would have probably done even more poorly than Clinton anyway.

Last edited:
You keep talking about the corrupt elite, but Trump himself is as "corrupt elite" as its possible to get outside of brutal dictatorships.

Anyone opposed to any corrupt elite that then uses that as a reason to vote for Trump is either stabbing themselves in the back or has a very very weird concept of such a notion.

It's kind of funny in a sick way. So many of the things that he attacked Clinton over, Donald Trump is more of even than Hillary Clinton...

Yes he's a businessman and a bad one at that but he isn't a politician. He can't be blamed for what has happened to jobs and the economy in the US. That mantel falls on the career politicians and wall street. Something that Clinton epitomized more than Trump, alot more. She is the Wife of the man that brought about NAFTA and deregulated Wall Street. Hillary took huge pay checks from the most corrupt people on earth at Goldman Sachs. I think you are honestly underestimating just how corrupt Hillary really is. Trump is an idiot and Clinton would have made a better president but I'm not surprised a majority of people decided to buck the status quo. Clinton would have changed nothing, she is part of the system. Trump is an outsider to some degree.

All hail the new Orange Overlord

squid9_87.jpg

Apologies for the poor editing it was done on paint... and I can't edit anyway. It's a fitting metaphor for Trump being president. (Can't do the job but is gonna anyway)

the lesson that will be taken away from this is simply not to let an anti-establishment candidate on the ballot.
Who's going to stop them now that the "anti-establishment" are clearly the majority in society? The old order is not only going down in flames, it just hit an oil refinery.

What a time to be alive. This is going to be one of those years that goes down in the history books.

Who's going to stop them now that the "anti-establishment" are clearly the majority in society? The old order is not only going down in flames, it just hit an oil refinery.

What a time to be alive. This is going to be one of those years that goes down in the history books.

I think you seriously underestimate the tricks that can be played.

And quite frankly, given the "new world order" is racist, anti-LGBTQ, Islamaphobic and sexist, I think there's a lot of people that would significantly rather keep the old one.

Graargh, title...

I wonder if we'll still have history books after the apocalypse.

To be honest, I'm not really convinced too much is going to change. This doesn't really feel like a major shift in power or change of direction to me. It kind of reminds me of the time the WWE had one of their wrestlers (sorry, Superstars) constantly breaking the fourth wall and talking about the "fake" side of wrestling. At the end of the day, it just became another storyline and things didn't really change too much with the same old people running the show in much the same way.

There could be some benefits (or costs) with things being looked at a bit differently but I'm not sure there'll be any huge changes.

Saying that, maybe we really will get an apocalypse.

He isnt a normal political people believe a Businessman could improve America.
But yes he is the embodiment of Capitalism.

Capitalism doesn't = corruption. Yes there is corruption that comes about because of capitalism, but so there is with the alternatives. Just because someone had done well out of capitalism, does not make them corrupt.

I wonder how mad Ghosts podcast is gonna be now Jaysus Christ

So we got a Hitler in the White house, a Hitler in already in the Kremlin and it might as well be Anthony Eden in Downing st. Who's meant to be our Churchill?
when did it turn so right : D

Last edited:
I think you seriously underestimate the tricks that can be played.

And quite frankly, given the "new world order" is racist, anti-LGBTQ, Islamaphobic and sexist, I think there's a lot of people that would significantly rather keep the old one.
I wasn't aware the ascendant left like Bernie Sanders and Jeremy Corbyn and their clearly growing base of young supporters (who will ultimately outnumber the old once they die off) were any of those things. Give me a straight choice between distinct and different ideologies over a choice between moderate centre right and... moderate centre right any day.

Oh no, a powerful country has interfered in the affairs of another for their own benefit!

About time the US got some of their own medicine on that front, they've been doing that for pretty much the entire 20th Century.

I wasn't aware the ascendant left like Bernie Sanders and Jeremy Corbyn and their clearly growing base of young supporters (who will ultimately outnumber the old once they die off) were any of those things.

Silly ayase don't you know its the old and uneducated that ruin things for us time after time

I spent all of my day comforting American friends online while pretending to work. Indeed I would recommend this practice under current circumstances.

I wasn't aware the ascendant left like Bernie Sanders and Jeremy Corbyn and their clearly growing base of young supporters (who will ultimately outnumber the old once they die off) were any of those things. Give me a straight choice between distinct and different ideologies over a choice between moderate centre right and... moderate centre right any day.

To be rather blunt, both Bernie Sanders and Jeremy Corbyn will probably die before they stand any chance of winning, and so will their rebellions. The more people age, the more people have to protect, the more conservative they become. It's foolish to think either Sanders or Corbyn will maintain their current positions for any extreme length of time. To take a reliable centre rhetoric off the ballot is simply insane, and Labour will continue to be punished for it.

The "new world order" of which you speak, is more than likely a hard right one, regardless of what you'll try and convince yourself. And quite frankly, if the choice is between hard right and hard left, don't be surprised if hard right always wins.

Oh no, a powerful country has interfered in the affairs of another for their own benefit!

About time the US got some of their own medicine on that front, they've been doing that for pretty much the entire 20th Century.

Sinking to their level does not help. If we disagree with their behaviour we should aspire to better than them, rather than pettier than them.

Back