Channel 4 might show more anime

It nothing really to do with cost of DVD's for why Anime doesn't sell well as other DVD entertainment. Near all Anime movies sell for the same price as a big film like Hot Fuzz new in the UK. While Anime films will sell several thousands copies in a year, a film like Hot Fuzz has sold over 1 million in the first 4 week of UK release.

It comes down to exposer and it perceived mainstream appeal for piece of media to get massive sales. Anime just doesn't get exposer as other form of entertainment do. I don't even think if Anime got UK wide exposer it would come close to live action entertainment sales. People just prefer live action film/TV shows, that something that would never change.

But if Anime did get more exposer titles would sell a lot more and certain titles like ONE PIECE or DRAGON BALL would defiantly be released in the UK.

It really dosn't bother me to much since, by the time they've aired the entire series on a network station like Animax. I could well have already gone out, bought the boxset, watched it, got a cup of tea, made a loft conversion and they'll still be airing it

Otaku-san said:
It really dosn't bother me to much since, by the time they've aired the entire series on a network station like Animax. I could well have already gone out, bought the boxset, watched it, got a cup of tea, made a loft conversion and they'll still be airing it

A good company wouldn't release any boxsets of an anime currently airing on TV for the first time, otherwise it completely devalues the product on the mainstream medium and kills a good portion of their potential viewers.

No, no I guess your right, just a majority may have repeats of series that I already got. My real pet hate is just having to wait a week to conclude a series. By the end of it, I've forgotten whats happened at the beginning

Archaic Sage said:
Otaku-san said:

A good company wouldn't release any boxsets of an anime currently airing on TV for the first time, otherwise it completely devalues the product on the mainstream medium and kills a good portion of their potential viewers.

I don't think that's much of an issue over here, jus' sayin'.

Hi, first post but figured I'd put in my 2p's worth.

A few (a fair few) years ago, Channel 4 broadcast some anime, 3x3 eyes was one, legend of the 4 kings I believe was another, and the other one with the criminals with explosive neck tags, or maybe that was Sci-Fi, probably channel 4 though.

Anyhow, my point is that Channel 4 already has the broadcast rights to broadcast certain anime in the UK, so they don't have to rush out and purchase broadcast rights which can be very expensive, especially for a media who's fanbase could be described as small.

Channel 4 (like the BBC) has its charter because (again, like the BBC) its a Public Broadcasting Station, in other words it's owned by "us" the licence fee payer, although unlike the BBC it has no funding from the licence fee and has to rely on advertising.

So, instead of writing to them asking to show series they cannot possibly show due to not owning the licence (could be owned by another company, Crunchyroll, Anime Network etc.. for broadcast in the UK) you could ask them to show anime you know they have previously shown so should still own the rights to broadcast again.

I don't know about you, but I thought 3x3 eyes was a fantastic anime and storyline, so if you could get enough people to ask C4 to broadcast anime they can broadcast, they may be a bit more receptive to the request. When (if) they broadcast the shows, if enough people watch them to convince C4 there is enough demand to pay for anime through adverts, they may consider looking into acquiring the rights for other anime also.

Of course, if they do broadcast the anime and their viewer ratings hit 0% the odds of C4 taking on any further anime will be about that too, 0%.

Failing that, you could make a complaint to Ofcom that Channel 4 are not respecting their charter, mostly the point:

"demonstrates innovation, experiment and creativity in the form and content of programmes;"

I don't believe any media shows greater innovation, experiment and creativity than anime, I mean they showed Lost for heavens sake! You could fall at point b however:

"appeals to the tastes and interests of a culturally diverse society;"

Although again, there is Anime for all tastes....

tl;dr - try asking C4 to broadcast Anime they have the rights to, get as much good press in the anime community for Channel 4 for taking the move, get as many people as possible to watch it, show C4 there is enough demand for anime for it to be profitable for them.

Though I must confess to not knowing much about this subject, I doubt they still own the rights to broadcast 3x3 Eyes, Cyber City, and the other anime they showed in the mid-1990s. Even the UK distributor, Manga Entertainment, no longer owns the rights to those shows.

It's really not worth the hassle. Anime has been on TV before, even had its own channels, and clearly there's not enough interest. Let's move on.

More and more people are getting into anime, Like Naruto for example, Majority of people that I know used to never watch it when it was aired on Jetix, a few years later, they come back saying they love the damn anime!
If they DID show naruto on E4 or C4, I guarantee since it's a popular channel ( and Anime ), their views would sky rocket. Like, obviously you won't watch something thats on a channel you never go on but if it was,
they might even make a whole channel for anime like 4anime, It REALLY can happen, but this is my OPINION

Naruto (both parts) broadcast rights are owned by Crunchyroll, plus I strongly believe that should they broadcast the original Naruto with that terrible dub the world would end as we know it.

However, there is nothing stopping C4 striking a deal with Crunchyroll where CR is the sponsor for a series shown on C4 bringing in valuable advertising for CR and a good bargain for C4.

People saying there is only a small market for anime though are correct but also incorrect. It's peoples definition of anime that catches them out. We may consider anime to be k-on, naruto, FMA etc.. but anime also includes the very popular Pokemon and other "cartoons" shown on Sky. Heck, Fox Kids used to show Sailor Moon (edited).

There is demand for anime, it's just unfortunate that the associated demographic is the pre-teens whilst most anime fans would like TV to show 21-36 demographic anime.

If however C4 could strike a deal with CR to broadcast new anime, in 720p HD only a few hours after CR shows it, that could be a game changer. Think about it, most of the anime that people ask for is anime they already have seen and enjoyed, so where is the desire to sit down and watch something old? With streaming sites also putting up their own translations not long after broadcast, having a UK station putting anime on the TV before streaming sites can do their translations, it would provide a method for anime fans to turn on the TV to watch rather than "ohh, I like this, I'm going to go on to the internet and watch the rest of it".

I mean think about it, how many fans of anime already own Death Note on DVD/Blu-Ray? Where is the need for them to switch on the TV to watch something they already own? There is none. How many people have seen Episode 5 of Durarara? None at all, so if C4 broadcast that not long after CR (or heck, bought the rights for K-On season 2) anime fans would be turning the TV on rather than opening up IE/Chrome/Firefox (unless you took advantage of paying $19 for 3 months of CR with a rebate of $20).

Yeah, at the rate the fb group thing is going, we will never see Death note
or any anime on C4. C'mon, has anyone actually sent this thing on to their friends?

Lexxuk said:
Hi, first post but figured I'd put in my 2p's worth.

A few (a fair few) years ago, Channel 4 broadcast some anime, 3x3 eyes was one, legend of the 4 kings I believe was another, and the other one with the criminals with explosive neck tags, or maybe that was Sci-Fi, probably channel 4 though.

Anyhow, my point is that Channel 4 already has the broadcast rights to broadcast certain anime in the UK, so they don't have to rush out and purchase broadcast rights which can be very expensive, especially for a media who's fanbase could be described as small.

Channel 4 (like the BBC) has its charter because (again, like the BBC) its a Public Broadcasting Station, in other words it's owned by "us" the licence fee payer, although unlike the BBC it has no funding from the licence fee and has to rely on advertising.

So, instead of writing to them asking to show series they cannot possibly show due to not owning the licence (could be owned by another company, Crunchyroll, Anime Network etc.. for broadcast in the UK) you could ask them to show anime you know they have previously shown so should still own the rights to broadcast again.

I don't know about you, but I thought 3x3 eyes was a fantastic anime and storyline, so if you could get enough people to ask C4 to broadcast anime they can broadcast, they may be a bit more receptive to the request. When (if) they broadcast the shows, if enough people watch them to convince C4 there is enough demand to pay for anime through adverts, they may consider looking into acquiring the rights for other anime also.

Of course, if they do broadcast the anime and their viewer ratings hit 0% the odds of C4 taking on any further anime will be about that too, 0%.

Failing that, you could make a complaint to Ofcom that Channel 4 are not respecting their charter, mostly the point:

"demonstrates innovation, experiment and creativity in the form and content of programmes;"

I don't believe any media shows greater innovation, experiment and creativity than anime, I mean they showed Lost for heavens sake! You could fall at point b however:

"appeals to the tastes and interests of a culturally diverse society;"

Although again, there is Anime for all tastes....

tl;dr - try asking C4 to broadcast Anime they have the rights to, get as much good press in the anime community for Channel 4 for taking the move, get as many people as possible to watch it, show C4 there is enough demand for anime for it to be profitable for them.

I don't think it would be good idea to re-show old anime you have mention on TV. Its not that don't think they are quality titles, far from it. One of the titles mentioned Cyber City Odeo 808 is in my top three titles I most want to be released in the UK (the other two are ONE PIECE & HUNTER X HUNTER).

Title generally being chosen to be licensed back in the day were the more gory/shocking animes with the English dub added many obscenities script to actual increase the certification ratings. They don't highlight anime in a good light and would seem a very dated for today standards.

It would simply better for channels like film four to be the many animated movies as they have highest quality of animation while being able to watch in one sitting. A few I would recommend for TV:

Akira
Ghost in the Shell 1 & 2
Patlabor 1 & 2
Blood: The Last Vampire
Ninja Scroll
Tokyo Godfathers
Paprika
Perfect Blue
Steam boy
Tekkonkinkreet

Project-2501 said:
No matter how big the group gets you won't see it on C4.

And CR has the UK broadcast rights to Narotu?? Can't see how that can be.

My bad, it's Shippuden that's licenced in the UK, the original (in Japanese) isn't available on CR in this region.

I guess I'm still not sure that showing old anime in the UK is the way forward because of the ease of access people have to anime over the internet. Any TV company is pretty much bound to fail if they show anime that fans are not going to watch due to either having watched it 20 times already or owning the DVD.

Maybe C4 isn't even the way to go either? The BBC has BBC 3 and a love of Japan, with Adam and Joe do Tokyo, Japanorama, quite a bit of Japanese cultural shows are shown on BBC 3 who may be more than happy to take a risk on an anime season.

As for Channel 4 still owning the rights to the anime they showed previously, I'm not sure, back then C4 bought *all* the rights for their shows. Channel 4 doesn't make any shows, they buy them lock stock and barrel, so it may well be that they fully bought the rights.

I'll try asking the BBC! Johnathan Ross is out of work soon so maybe they can hook him into a season of Anime movies, which will cater for his love of Japanese, Anime and Movies?

ayase said:
I always have this trepidation about anime making it big. It would be great for new releases, but I kinda like it having a relatively small fandom which attracts more 'different' people. If anime became 'cool' I think my relationship with it would sour somewhat.

That said, I would love to see Death Note on TV simply for the Daily Mail's reaction:
"Sick Japanese Cartoon Makes Kids Worship Serial Killer"

XD

"Copious amounts of children writing names in notebooks: Animé is prime suspect (video games also held for questioning, but later cleared on lack of evidence (but we still think he's guilty))"

Sparrowsabre7 said:
ayase said:
I always have this trepidation about anime making it big. It would be great for new releases, but I kinda like it having a relatively small fandom which attracts more 'different' people. If anime became 'cool' I think my relationship with it would sour somewhat.

That said, I would love to see Death Note on TV simply for the Daily Mail's reaction:
"Sick Japanese Cartoon Makes Kids Worship Serial Killer"

XD

"Copious amounts of children writing names in notebooks: Animé is prime suspect (video games also held for questioning, but later cleared on lack of evidence (but we still think he's guilty))"

<object width="384" height="313"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YL6f_-_a77A&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YL6f_-_a77A&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="384" height="313" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Back