Can't access site without going through Anonymouse?

Aion

Time-Traveller
For around 2-3 days I get a white screen with Opera, a 'Page cannot be displayed' error with IE7 and a 'Connection Interrupted' error with Mozilla. I can only access the site by masking my IP.

I've done the obvious - reset modem, cleaned cookies and even attempted to /flushdns (my /ipconfig box closes as soon as it opens) - but I still cannot access the site normally. I'm puzzled as to why AUKN would suddenly stop working for me when the site is working fine and I'm having no other internet problems...

That's a bit worrying. Um, all I can suggest is wait for a few days, if it's still an issue, let me know and I'll see if there's anything going wrong server side. I had a similar problem in the past with a favourite site and I think it ended up being a corrupted file or something. Of course, if anyone else is having problems, post up.

Unless they know about sites like Anonymouse that are very useful for registering more than one account with wonderful sites such as PureTNA, I think they might struggle to post about their issues. :p

I do recall having some minor AUKN page loading issues the day before my problems started, but I could still get AUKN to work then. I'm not sure if that's related.

If the problem doesn't correct itself in a week or so I'll let you know, but it isn't a huge issue when I just have to use Anonymouse to still get on the site/forum.

On this laptop, I've had problems on numerous occasions. I used to be only able to access the forums if I put www.forums... for a while. I think it's all on my end, though...

...I still do occasionally get [differing] problems, but nothing I find bothersome enough to report. I've never checked if I could access the site when it's not working with an anonymous proxy, next time, I will and be sure to report.

Just to let you (Paul) know since I'm suuure you've been very concerned about this issue, I'm still having the same annoying issue. I'm getting tired of seeing the Anonymouse adds and having to put up with the few added seconds of delay that occurs during page loading.

Is this some sort of attempt to get rid of me or is it a vendetta against Virgin Media users? I won't get mad if you're trying to make my life difficult for fun - I'm cool like that - but I'd like to know what's going on. Could it be that the site itself is rejecting me?

Have you tried using a different proxy? maybe shutting your modem / router down and waiting a few minutes before reconencting?

I'm an idiot when it comes to anything technical (some would argue I'm just an idiot in general), so no. I did try to use fake IP addresses by going on sites with proxy lists and putting them as the IP for my browser in the past but I could never get it to work. In the end, I simply stuck with good old Anonymouse.

And, as I've said above, yes, I've attempted to reset my modem. Do you by any chance work on the phones for an ISP and have an indian accent?

Aion said:
And, as I've said above, yes, I've attempted to reset my modem. Do you by any chance work on the phones for an ISP and have an indian accent?
And I'm posting from Bombay ;)

Shutting down the modem for a few minutes sometimes helps, as the IP address gets assigned to someone else. Resetting the modem have a higher chance of you getting the same ip address you already had.
Some ISP back home would always assigned the same ip address to you, but I'm not sure this happens in UK.

I'm on Virgin Media myself, so it's obviously not an IP issue. I'd advise doing a bit of research into this kind of problem on Google, there's bound to be a corrupted Windows file or something.

No problem here running 20Mbit Virgin Media Broad Band on my iMac. Browsing with Safari and just tried Firefox no issues there either.

Probably Windows broke something on your PC when it thought it was helping.

I've also been having similar issues on both my PC and laptop. Sometimes I can connect to the site, but more often I have the issues Aion has mentioned.

That's weird. Are you on Virgin too (normally), King Jimmeh?

Which OS version are you both using?

R

My problem fixed itself...strangely enough not long after Paul last posted. If my words weakened your heart and made you stop whatever you were doing, I thank you Sir Paul.

Jayme said:
Now Aion's problem has magically fixed itself, I can't get the site to work at all without a proxy. I'm using Anonymouse.

And I'm with Jayme in the 'I can't access it, but I can through Atunnel'. And I thought the site was down...

Though my lack of status is actually benefiting the site xD... I kid. Don't worry, I think it will magically fix itself.

Ammy said:
Jayme said:
Now Aion's problem has magically fixed itself, I can't get the site to work at all without a proxy. I'm using Anonymouse.

And I'm with Jayme in the 'I can't access it, but I can through Atunnel'. And I thought the site was down...

Though my lack of status is actually benefiting the site xD... I kid. Don't worry, I think it will magically fix itself.
ditto - I've tried iexplore, firefox and safari on mac os 10.5.6. I'm on Sky broadband.

It works using anonymizer software o websites. Changing my proxy also helped.

I've not actually had a problem, and i'm on virgin media and have vista. I was gonna say was it only people working on vista that was affected, but i doubt it is =/

Back