Best and worst of the winter season?

crashmatt

Death Scythe
Its that time again where the season is comming to the end. What peoples top 3 shows and also worst of the season.

Top 3
Konosuba S2 - Same as S1 despite crap animation it was alot of fun
Tanya - Love this right up my street
Dragon Maid - suprise hit of the season everyone seems to be watching it.

Worst
Hand Shakers (Is anything as bad as this?)
special mention for Fuuka which has just jumed the shark and sunk without a trace

Last edited:
Best:

-Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: Equal parts funny, charming and adorable, I just fell in love with this show. I just love all the characters a lot, and the animation is pretty great too.

-Gabriel Dropout: Easily the best comedy of the season, it's just consistently hilarious and never fails to get a good laugh out of me.

-Konosuba S2: Not quite as funny as Gabriel Dropout, but still pretty damn funny, even if the humour was getting pretty trite at points towards the end.

Least Good:

-Fuuka
: I actually really enjoyed it up until the end of last week's episode, where it deviated from the manga and nose dived pretty hard.

-ACCA 13: Another show I enjoyed, but probably the weakest show I picked up this season. The pacing was just reaaaaaally slow, to the point where I'm convinced it could have gotten away with 6 episodes to tell the same story.

Top 3
Scum's wish- so good shows what is love and other stuff.

Blue exorcist s2 - again amazing my fav s2 this season

LWA- sorry Netflix but yeah makes me laugh every week.

Worst

Hand shakers award nothing can go near this that made me want to rip my eyes out

Top for me are Marginal #4, ACCA, Iron-blooded Orphans and the series my avatar is from.

Handshakers was the fastest series I have dropped ever.

R

Top three:

KonoSuba Season 2
Dragon Maid
Scum's Wish

Worst three:

Fuuka - they ruined a perfectly good story! I have not been so disappointed in an adaption in ages ;_;
Hand Shakers - I didn't even need to start this to know how terrible it was
Tales of Zestiria the X Season 2 - They've taken the plot down too original a path and it just doesn't make sense any more.

Best:
Gabriel Dropout - brilliant comedy with some great characters. OP and ED are painful but easily skipped, and they're the only things wrong with the series.
Youjo Senki - literally the only series I've seen this season for which "gripping" would be a valid description.
Kemono Friends - good fun, lots of good characters (although I'd like some of them to get rather more screen time - there are few characters who appear in more than 2 episodes), catchy OP, and a reasonably decent mystery underneath it all as well.

Worst:
It's worth mentioning that I didn't even try any of the series that anyone up to this point has mentioned in this section. One Room is the only series I dropped (so far) this season, so that probably takes this position by default. Nyanko Days is almost a textbook definition of "meh", though.

Best -

Youjo Senki (Saga of Tanya the Evil)
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Blue Exorcist Season 2

Worst - (Of things I actually tried to start/dropped)

ACCA (I didn't watch more than 2 episodes, but I got bored quickly so dropped it for now. May return to it later, but atm its one of my worst of the season)
Hand Shakers (I don't think I need to explain why here)

Those are the other 2 I watched, and dropped atm.

It's interesting to see how many people have put ACCA down as the worst (apart from Rui). I've been watching it and while it's not my favourite, I think it has gotten a lot better in the second half. @Lambadelta I think you'd definitely get more out of it now than at the start. It is really slow but does get better.

It's interesting to see how many people have put ACCA down as the worst (apart from Rui). I've been watching it and while it's not my favourite, I think it has gotten a lot better in the second half. @Lambadelta I think you'd definitely get more out of it now than at the start. It is really slow but does get better.

I'll prob give it another try when I'm not busy with assignments, and can just marathon it. Atm while it was simulcasting it was just too boring to keep interest week by week

Which is exactly my issue. They could have the start, cut out most of the middle and keep the end, and have a much better show. Everything in the middle just kinda feels like filler. Perhaps it'd work better watching all at once rather than weekly, but it was kinda boring after a few straight weeks of almost 0 plot advancement.

Best:

- March Comes in like a Lion (this counts right?) - I can't get enough of this show. I'm super sad we only have one episode left.
- Interviews with Monster Girls - Cute, Funny, Great Characters.
- Konosuba S2 - Just top notch comedy.

Worst:

- None.

Didn't pick up much this season, only other titles I'm watching are Dragon Maid & Yami Shibai Season 4.

I tried 1 episode of ACCA and released it wasn't for me. I also have a feeling it won't shift huge numbers in Japan either as its one of those acquired taste shows.

ACCA is my absolute favourite this season. I like the pacing and the intrigue. I feel like i'm starting to understand who wants what and then something comes along and makes me start wondering again.

I think the pacing is good considering its only a 6 volume manga series.

I only actually watched KonoSuba2 and I enjoyed it a lot, although not as much as the first season. I do really need to catch up on Iron-blooded Orphans though, clearly not been watching enough anime lately.

Favourites:

-Interviews with Monster Girls

Throughly enjoy my time with this series, lovely feel good stuff.

-Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

Also a lovely charming series, there may be more of a punch visually and a hidden depth to Dragon Maid but Interviews with Monster Girls just edges it in part due to it's cast.

-KONOSUBA -God's blessing on this wonderful world! 2

The last one was a really tough call to make, KonoSuba once again continues to be a fun joint, but also despite a slow start getting into it, Gabriel DropOut has come out to be a thoroughly entertaining show, in the end it's come down to asking the question of which show am I more likely to come back to anytime soon?

Of course things happen and stuff can change there are still episodes to air and that will allow me to fully assess all the shows I've watched.

I liked ACCA a lot. I like slow paced stuff; gives more time to wallow in the atmosphere. My friend and I are watching Hand Shakers together over Facetime and taking the piss out of it as we do. Wine is involved.

Are people living under a rock? Only @Rui mentioned Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 2nd Season. This show is amazing, so good as the 1st season which was consired among the best from the last winter season, along with Erased.

My other favourites are Blue Exorcist and Onihei.

I've dropped Saga of Tanya the Evil.

With ACCA, I actually really like that it moved slowly for ages. I would joke with my partner even halfway through that we still had no idea what the series was about - but certain repeated elements, to me, only worked because they were repeated for no apparent reason. A little like Endless Eight but less annoying.

The important part is that even throughout the slower part of the story I was actively looking forward to each new episode of ACCA (more so than the darling of the season, Miss Kobayashi, which I also like but find very inconsistent in entertainment value). I will agree that the story took a back seat for a while, but the mood and character interactions were what I was tuning in for and none of the reveals later on would have worked if there hadn't been that period of quiet before them.

It's obviously going to sell terribly from its genre alone but hey, I'm enjoying it :D

R

Are people living under a rock? Only @Rui mentioned Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 2nd Season.

Strangely enough I don't watch sequels of series that I haven't watched, and winter last year was something of an off season for me - the only non-short, non-sequel series that I followed that season was KonoSuba.

Everything I've heard about Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, though (and I've heard a lot about it), makes me think that this is a series that really isn't something I'd like.

Back