BEEZ: Hopeful Revealing 2 New Licenses in the Near Future!

Durial666 said:
Apparently.

No apparently about it. The wording from the reason for the cut is very similar to the wording thats been in the VRA for some 26 years, and what have the BBFC got to gain by telling a lie? It just makes for a more interesting story to say it was the new laws.

The flipside is, as mentioned several times, that Mahoromatic S2 passed untouched. Also if the image was cut due to the new laws we should have all been arrested by now for seeing it on this forum ;)

Ayase, yes, the Video Recordings Act.

ayase said:
No? Then presumably it was cut due to some equally crap old laws.
Crap old laws that, evidently, aren't even applied consistently. Whether or not the crap news laws played a part, consciously or not, in the mind of whichever examiner decided that Geass scene was paedo bait, the upshot is that UK distributors will be much more cautious about what they submit to the BBFC in future. And that means Strike Witches is not likely to be one of Beez's announcements.

ConanThe3rd said:
I've said it before, and I've said it again. The BBFC are dinosaurs and we need the Meteor of progress to smack them bitches down.

Again you keep blaming the BBFC as if its them who made the laws in the first place. If you're going to get all bent out of shape at least aim it in the correct direction.

It's the BBFC's fault that they deemed the Geass image "likely to encourage an interest in underage sex" when such an idea is patently ludicrous, while passing something like this uncut (the boy in the shot, Satoshi, is 12).

2501, I have to ask; do you work for the BBFC or know someone who does? Because you sure as hell seem to take umbrage whenever anyone does take aim in their direction.

I don't like the law (the VRA), and I don't like it's enforcers (the BBFC). Saying that the VRA is the problem but the BBFC aren't is a bit like saying that laws to confine demonstrations are bad, but you can't blame the police for beating up the protesters. "They're only doing their job" is the lamest excuse in the book,
no-one forces anyone else into jobs where they are put in a position of power over others. We have free will. Jobs such as censors and authority figures attract a certain kind of person who enjoys that power but needs someone else above them to decide what it is they should be enforcing. The bloody Lawful Neutrals of the world.

To be fair, in Abenobashi you are shown the context of the scene. In Geass all they had to go on was a still image with no context. We all know the nature of anime and that that particular scene was both commonplace and harmless, but they had no sense that it was harmless - all they saw was a young girl and a groping.

ayase said:
"They're only doing their job" is the lamest excuse in the book,

Yes the BBFC are just doing their job BUT without the VRA they would have no job. Trying to claim its all the BBFCs fault is like trying to claim the G20 riots were all the fault of the policeman who nutted Ian Tomlinson.

And someone has to counter your love of the BBFC ;) Life would be boring otherwise.

Fudce said:
To be fair, in Abenobashi you are shown the context of the scene. In Geass all they had to go on was a still image with no context. We all know the nature of anime and that that particular scene was both commonplace and harmless, but they had no sense that it was harmless - all they saw was a young girl and a groping.
But is that being "fair" on them, or is it just another way of pointing out the fact that they are totally ill-equipped to do the "job" they're supposed to be doing? Which is the point that is trying to be made.

I don't think there's any "fairness" in censoring something because you have no idea what it really is.

Fudce said:
If we were playing "fair" then the scene in Code Geass wouln't have been cut and I would have Paranoia Agent in my collection.

We're talking about a one second (even?) image that they were implored to block because whoops! Boobs = Age!

Shiroi Hane said:
Paranoia Agent is a completely different situation however since it was not related to sexual content involving minors.
true, but one could argue that, since Battle Royale (a film that, if i recall has adolescents depicted in violent scenes) has been released in the UK, then cutting that particular scene can be seen as double standards? Or am i missing a point on this entirely? Do take note i have not watched Battle Royale

memorium said:
Or am i missing a point on this entirely?

Pretty likely. Minors involved in violent scenes is nothing new. Somewhat different to showing a young girl trying to hang herself and jumping up and down laughing and saying 'me too' in the process. Its probably more that aspect of it than her actually trying to hang herself that got it cut. The UK has very odd laws about suicide.

No boobs actually shown in the code geass shot....

Yup Battle Royale they are all 15, and that has sex/rape scenes and a lot of violence, I assume at least one suicide as well. Been a while sinse I last saw it.

Issue with Geass is that it's totaly out of context. BBFC cares wether it's sexualised or not, regardless of wether it's explicit (which is irrelevant for cases with real kids). How that shot is any different from when exactly the same thing happend in one of the shower scenes is slightly odd tho'.

Yeah, if I really thought customs were going to go over every little thing that gets imported with a fine tooth comb... I wouldn't import some stuff.

It's wether it needs cutting to sell it, rather than cutting to view it. It's only the latter customs should block.
BBFC ban makes it illegal to sell, buy or import. BBFC cert makes it legal to posess.
It has to go to trial wether the material is ok or not if it's not certed, which hasn't yet happened under current laws. Same as it does for everything else except films.

Project-2501 said:
memorium said:
Or am i missing a point on this entirely?

Pretty likely. Minors involved in violent scenes is nothing new. Somewhat different to showing a young girl trying to hang herself and jumping up and down laughing and saying 'me too' in the process. Its probably more that aspect of it than her actually trying to hang herself that got it cut. The UK has very odd laws about suicide.

True. Suicide is such a taboo in the UK.

I'm one of the few that has the DVD of this episode uncut in the UK release.

Back