Beckii: Schoolgirl Superstar at 14

Maybe some of these male fans just find her cute and don't harbour impure thoughts towards her? I know that's frighteningly devoid of cynicism considering our padeo-obsessed society, where sexual predators lurk on every corner in both the real world and the internet, but perhaps we should be less judgemental.

It's all very confusing to me. Over here this kind of obsession with celebrity is pretty much exclusively a female thing, whereas in Japan the men are just as bad.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Maybe some of these male fans just find her cute and don't harbour impure thoughts towards her? I know that's frighteningly devoid of cynicism considering our padeo-obsessed society, where sexual predators lurk on every corner in both the real world and the internet, but perhaps we should be less judgemental.

It's all very confusing to me. Over here this kind of obsession with celebrity is pretty much exclusively a female thing, whereas in Japan the men are just as bad.
That is very plausable, but can you see her getting very far on "Britains Got Talent" doing what she does for the Japanese on stage and becoming a "star"? :wink:

Mohawk52 said:
No doubt, but we are discussing a 14 year old school girl here.
Ah, see, this is where we got confused. I was thinking of Skip Beat and generally being off-topic. I never mentioned anything about the girl in my post.

Hello, I'm Jayme. Nice to meet you. :D

Mohawk52 said:
No doubt, but we are discussing a 14 year old school girl here. Try understanding the phenomenon of Japanese men and boys having a romantic relationship with Loveplus, a DS dating sim. :wink:

Oh yeah I've heard of that game, My Japanese friend showed it to me in town. You use your finger on the touch screen to.....

actually think I leave that there

Otaku-san said:
Mohawk52 said:
No doubt, but we are discussing a 14 year old school girl here. Try understanding the phenomenon of Japanese men and boys having a romantic relationship with Loveplus, a DS dating sim. :wink:

Oh yeah I've heard of that game, My Japanese friend showed it to me in town. You use your finger on the touch screen to.....

NHK World did a piece about it on their Imagine-Nation segment and I was absolutely stunned, gobsmacked, and couldn't stop shaking my head. My teenaged daughter left the room, she was so creeped out. My teenaged son laughed. And they wonder why their birth rate is in the toilet. :roll:

Mohawk52 said:
Otaku-san said:
Mohawk52 said:

NHK World did a piece about it on their Imagine-Nation segment and I was absolutely stunned, gobsmacked, and couldn't stop shaking my head. My teenaged daughter left the room, she was so creeped out. My teenaged son laughed. And they wonder why their birth rate is in the toilet. :roll:

why has ilmae not told me about this ga.............

ahem tragedy, a real tragedy

But are games like Love Plus creating lonely otaku or simply catering to them? I suspect it's the latter.

Japan's birthrate isn't much lower than Germany's, nor the rest of Europe's, and we don't have much of an "otaku" culture. I think there are deeper reasons than that behind the perilously low birthrates in developed countries...

fabricatedlunatic said:
But are games like Love Plus creating lonely otaku or simply catering to them? I suspect it's the latter.

Japan's birthrate isn't much lower than Germany's, nor the rest of Europe's, and we don't have much of an "otaku" culture. I think there are deeper reasons than that behind the perilously low birthrates in developed countries...
The former, but it's not games like Loveplus(+) doing it, so far it's only that game and maybe also THE iDOLM@STER.

I consider it a great victory for video game design (if hugely ironic); to make dating sims so good people will actually leave real women for them.
Also amazing in that the genere's only 16 years old (now).

My god Konami must be rolling in money.

Takes a quick look on wiki on Loveplus

LovePlus (ラブプラス, Rabu Purasu?) is a dating sim developed and published by Konami for the Nintendo DS handheld video game console. Released on September 3, 2009 only in Japan. The game garnered much attention when a Japanese college student actually married one of its characters

HaHa
Wow
been about the norm since 2003

Reading the full program description, I know I'm going to be gritting my teeth the whole way through this if I watch it.

Reaper gI said:
fabricatedlunatic said:

The former
Congrats on your detailed psychological analysis of an entire sub-culture to get to that conclusion.

She's a 14 year old girl who is a Japanese celebrity and is probably richer than any of us will ever be; all this commentary tastes a little bitter for my liking. The problem I have with celebrity culture is that I don't understand the people who follow it. I understand the people who profit from it completely. Hey, I'm utterly talentless. Call me shallow but I wouldn't mind earning a few million quid for dancing about and miming a song.

And a low birth rate is a good thing. The last thing I want is more of these bloody humans causing me social anxiety and depleting natural resources I could be using.

I'm jealous of those rich via YouTube, normally. Charlieissocoollike and such, but not this. Being famous is another country is beyond pointless.

ayase said:
The problem I have with celebrity culture is that I don't understand the people who follow it..
Tell me about it. Seeing ads on telly for Hello! magazine and things like that make my blood boil.

Back