AUKN Meetups: Have we actually had one?

theirsbailiff

School Idol
I may not have been here long enough to know exactly what goes on around here, but I kinda feel for certain that we haven't had at least one meetup between each of us. You know, to talk about what we normally talk about but in person and we all act completely different than what everyone expects of us and two or three people come to the meet up without showering. For the past three weeks.

I don't know if a meetup between us would even work, I mean most of us are either in different parts of the UK or even in other parts of the world and most of us have School/College/Uni/Work to be doing, and by the time it takes us to find a good time and place to meetup Scientists would've found a way to make pigs fly, lightning would've struck twice at Big Ben and Manga Entertainment would've released 70% of the licenses on Blu-Ray.

If anyone here is willing to make some sort of a meetup somewhere at sometime, I'd like to know.

The people who go to the Cons tend to meet up, I believe. I've met chaos twice and ilmaestro and Zin5ki once at Leeds Film Festival anime showings, which was good fun both times. Seems like Leeds' anime offerings are a bit poor this year unfortunately.

I'm almost exactly the same in real life as I am on the forums anyway. That said, it is usually easier for me to get on with people better in real life, as they realise that all the bitter and twisted things I say are said with a pint in my hand and an incredulous grin on my face rather than the defiant crossed arms and pet lip which I think a lot of people on the internet tend to presume is my attitude.

It might be nice to meet you all. But then again it might be awful. There are definitely certain individuals I'd be infinitely more up for meeting than others, it has to be said.

Those who go to Expo have tended to try to arrange informal meet ups with the others, some of which sound as though they were quite successful. I'm personally content with sticking to everyone's text-based identities, so nobody ever realises I am actually an AI with no physical body to begin with.

R

Most meet ups will be too far away for me to attend - as the majority of people here live in South of England and I am across the border.

Maybe one day with enough spare cash and spare days free...or perhaps a Scotland meet up.

There have been meets on AUKN since I organised the first one back in 2006, or maybe it was 2005? We had a few expo ones and a few non-event ones, and they were all awesome. I still have the videos taken at them on mini cassette from my digicam somewhere. Shame that of all the people who attended those meets, I am the only one who remains.

Mutsumi succeeds in sounding very ominous...

I think there has been at least one mini-meet in Scotland before, possibly at one of the SLAs.

R

I attend meetings on a biannual basis to coincide with the Expos. Because Otaku-san and I are most weary of the costs associated with bar food, we are known to consume our clandestinely-carried personal rations at such events. (He once gave me a toffee.)

Again, i'm too far away to be any use in a meet up. Only con near me is Nemacon. Plus I tend to be a lot shy'ier in real life then I am on the internet, that whole net rule of anonymity + audience...

Having said that, I have spoke to a few people on here over the phone. Apparently I don't have much of a northern accent.

theirsbailiff said:
If anyone here is willing to make some sort of a meetup somewhere at sometime, I'd like to know.
Next one is SLA Glasgow (not sure I'll be there), then SLA Edinburgh (I'll be there and I'm kinda counting on Maxon, Arby and Reevo to be there as well. Maybe Stu?), then London Expo (we usually meet at the Fox Pub on Sat Afternoon) and last Hyper Japan (Although, now that I think about it, the only one from the Forums I've seen there is Yuna Girl, who isn't really active around here anymore)....

ayase said:
I'm almost exactly the same in real life as I am on the forums anyway. That said, it is usually easier for me to get on with people better in real life, as they realise that all the bitter and twisted things I say are said with a pint in my hand and an incredulous grin on my face rather than the defiant crossed arms and pet lip which I think a lot of people on the internet tend to presume is my attitude.
That's not true. IRL he looks like a cereal killer. ;)

ayase said:
It might be nice to meet you all. But then again it might be awful. There are definitely certain individuals I'd be infinitely more up for meeting than others, it has to be said.
I'll assume you're talking about ilmaestro and Zin5ki, I know it's always a pleasure to meet me! =P
Anyway, you're right. Leeds have been quite disappointing last year and this one :(

Rui said:
Those who go to Expo have tended to try to arrange informal meet ups with the others, some of which sound as though they were quite successful. I'm personally content with sticking to everyone's text-based identities, so nobody ever realises I am actually an AI with no physical body to begin with.
I think that since we setup the first one, we have been doing it every London Expo. I usually attend all the main anime events of the year (London Expos, LFCC, Aya, Minami, Kita, Ame) and I help organise (or disorganise) part of Hyper Japan and Camcon.

neptune2venus said:
Most meet ups will be too far away for me to attend - as the majority of people here live in South of England and I am across the border.
Glasgow or Edinburgh SLA next month? http://www.lovesanimation.com

Mutsumi said:
There have been meets on AUKN since I organised the first one back in 2006, or maybe it was 2005? We had a few expo ones and a few non-event ones, and they were all awesome. I still have the videos taken at them on mini cassette from my digicam somewhere. Shame that of all the people who attended those meets, I am the only one who remains.
Since I joined, we never had one that wasn't a con or expo.... Cons or expos are good, because people usually travel to the events anyway.

Rui said:
Mutsumi succeeds in sounding very ominous...
Because most people from his generations disappeared. And he only goes to Minami.

Rui said:
I think there has been at least one mini-meet in Scotland before, possibly at one of the SLAs.
Twice actually, on the last two years.

Zin5ki said:
I attend meetings on a biannual basis to coincide with the Expos. Because Otaku-san and I are most weary of the costs associated with bar food, we are known to consume our clandestinely-carried personal rations at such events. (He once gave me a toffee.)
I remember the toffee. I've got one too!

BlackWolf said:
Having said that, I have spoke to a few people on here over the phone. Apparently I don't have much of a northern accent.
It's true. He sounds speaks like the Queen.

animefreak17 said:
It be nice if we could you know.
Do you go to any event I've mentioned? If you do, we could arrange that....

chaos said:
BlackWolf said:
It's true. He sounds speaks like the Queen.

To be fair, I do have a posh telephone voice, something that anyone on the receiving end of my new job will have found out.

I for one would adore to go to any kind of meet up, but I think there are various limitations that would me back. For one, i'm not as much of an established member of the community as the majority of you so I'd probably feel kind of weird. The other thing is i'm pretty damn shy in real life (And somewhat on the internet too actually, if that's even possible...)

Lawrence said:
chaos said:
Next one is SLA Glasgow (not sure I'll be there), then SLA Edinburgh (I'll be there and I'm kinda counting on Maxon, Arby and Reevo to be there as well. Maybe Stu?)

Actually, I do plan on attending but for Edinburgh at least -assuming things go to plan - I'll be preoccupied with other engagements in between. Depending on my work hours, I may try and attend some of Glasgow though. Kinda surprised there isn't more that are planning on going - from the forum but I've kinda been here and there, so perhaps I've missed something?

For me it's all about money at the moment. Train ride alone it'll cost around £120 to get to Glasgow one way, which is such a shame because I want to see practically all of the movies being shown. And that's not factoring in hotel costs, food etc etc.

OK, so judging by the posts, there have been meetups but they're normally at events and some people here aren't able to go due to living arrangements and cost reasons.

Well then, It looks like I'm gonna have to make one for the October Expo.

Lawrence said:
chaos said:
Next one is SLA Glasgow (not sure I'll be there), then SLA Edinburgh (I'll be there and I'm kinda counting on Maxon, Arby and Reevo to be there as well. Maybe Stu?)

Actually, I do plan on attending but for Edinburgh at least -assuming things go to plan - I'll be preoccupied with other engagements in between. Depending on my work hours, I may try and attend some of Glasgow though. Kinda surprised there isn't more that are planning on going - from the forum but I've kinda been here and there, so perhaps I've missed something?

I'll be at Glasgow SLA so would very likely attend a meet up there.

I'd always be up for a meet up, as you all seem like great people. I guess my problem is that I've never been to an anime con, and never really planned on doing so. I've been to a couple bonafide nerd events in real life before (two Hideo Kojima signing, and an anime all nighter at the cinema), and I'm not gonna lie, I felt quite out of place during them. Not because I'm too "cool" or anything, but because many of the other people who attended were so erm...extreme I think is the word that comes to mind, and relatively unfriendly. Only at one of those events did I happen to meet a friendly group of people who I was able to have fun talking with. So, I think I've become somewhat intimidated by the prospect conventions :lol:. That and the fact that as far as I can tell there's never anything even remotely interesting at UK one's (am I wrong?). I would like to go to SLA however, but Scotland is so far away :(

I went to a all nighter with a friend once and it was awesome the games and stuff was awesome but like vash I felt out of places cause these guys was totally in to the pc games and I had no idea what to do in them

vashdaman said:
I'd always be up for a meet up, as you all seem like great people. I guess my problem is that I've never been to an anime con, and never really planned on doing so.
Our standard Expo meeting point lies outside the event's trading floor — with suitable prior arrangements in place, you'd only need to stroll from the DLR and back.

I go to conventions. I was at Fuyucon 2009, Kita 2010, Kita 2011 and Kita 2012. The next event I go to is Ayacon 2013. Hoping to be able to do Fushicon too which should be at the end of 2013.

Whilst i'd be up for a non-event meet up, I probably wouldn't be able to attend. I live in Liverpool and have no job so it gets a bit expensive travelling to places. If anyone is going to Ayacon though it would be nice to be able to say hi :)

Everybody is keen on meetups, but all live in different areas, thus there can be only one solution!

Regionalised meetups in multiple locations all ocurring simultaneously and being broadcast live to one another ala WrestleMania II :lol:

Back