AUKN Character Battle Round 1, Match 1: Mikoto/Spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
Rushing this a little as I want to get things started and haven't had time to sort everything out neatly due to my other hobbies :s

I tried to spread the characters out throughout the tournament but since one of the factors I used in calculating everyone's chance was the outcome of the nomination process, some of the match-ups will be weird. Please understand.

Rules

1. To vote, reply in this thread and include a very clear statement of intent as the first line of the post e.g. "My vote is for CHARACTER NAME".
2. If you need to change your vote, edit your original post to remove the line and add a new post to the thread with your new vote.
3. It's ok to discuss other things in this thread too, just make sure you follow rule #1 for your actual vote.
4. It's ok to have fun :)

Voting period: From now until 23:59 on Sunday 3rd May. Votes posted after this time will not be counted.

This week's battle

4c5I9fQ.png

Mikoto Misaka from A Certain Magical Index (Toaru Majutsu No Index)

Mikoto is a main heroine in A Certain Magical Index and the main protagonist of A Certain Scientific Railgun. She's the third ranked Level 5 esper in Academy City, and nicknamed the Railgun due to her signature move. Touma Kamijou coined her nickname Biri-Biri (a Japanese onomatopoeia imitating the sound of electricity). She is extremely Tsundere, but delightfully so.

Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop

Spike Spiegel is a tall and lean 27-year-old bounty hunter born on Mars. He's the main protagonist of Cowboy Bebop, which tells the story of his travels on a spaceship called the Bebop with his crew Jet, Faye, Ed & Ein.

Re: AUKN Character Battle Round 1, Match 1: Mikoto VS Spike

My vote is for Spike.

Haven't seen any Magical Index yet, so I have no idea who Mikoto is, but I love Spike. He's so cool.

Spike for me.

Like IncendiaryLemon, I'm just going with what I know. Spike is pretty great though (he's won character battles before I think?) and whoever was up against him was bound to be in for a tough fight.

I fear this one is only going one way...

Edit: My vote is for Misaka, as i will break down below. But first, some flavour text, as to how things might go down...
Disclaimer: it's been forever since i last watched bebop, so my Spike might be a bit off *smile*

“There are three things I hate. kids, animals and women with attitude. And you somehow manage to be two of those at once. Got any Animals with you and you could have the full set.”

“I’m not a child. He always treats me like that and it’s really annoying!” Mikoto Misaka yelled shrilly, angry yellow sparks scattering from her hair.

“But you do have attitude. Hard to deny that, right?” Spike responded casually. “And I don’t see why you are getting all worked up at me. I didn’t make the rules of the game. I’m just a poor bounty hunter trying to make a living. I doubt you’d understand. You look like a spoilt little rich girl to me.”

“It’s hardly my fault if I have money now, is it?” She scowled. “Besides, you look like you’d just waste it all if you had any anyway. Don’t you know smoking isn’t cool?”

“Well, when you get old enough to smoke yourself you can tell me what to do. But I don’t have time to make small talk. This is a winner takes all situation. I don’t know how we ended up in this situation, but your bounty will pay for enough food and fuel to keep the Bebop running for a month. Still, I feel bad going up against a kid, so surrender and I’ll go easy on you.”

Misaka smiled viciously. “Go easy on me?” Pulling a silvery token out of her skirt pocket she pointed it at Spike, arm outstretched. “You ever heard of a Railgun, jerk?”

Spike reacted instantly, his honed instinct kicking his nerves into high gear. As he moved something blasted past him, a trail of fiery orange lighting the air, his nose filled with the smell of charred hair as a few wisps of his drifted down. His artificial eye was acting up, wild static filling his vision, but it was hardly enough to stop a proffesional like him. Even as a wicked explosion lit up behind him, he was moving forwards, the blast wave from the rear only speeding his movements. Reaching down he pulled clear his heavy handgun, a Jericho model. For a brief instant he hesitated, but in a life or death struggle there could be no half measures.

I’ll aim at her arms and legs. Spike thought. Still, there are no guarantees she’ll live if I hit her. Still, what happens, happens. No-one said life was fair or full of smiles. If it was then…
Shaking away those thoughts he opened fire, bullets streaking out at the school uniform clad girl in his sights. But as the bullets were going to strike they suddenly deflected, hammering into the ground around her.

“Nice try. But guns don’t really work on me. I am the Third-Ranked level 5 esper in Academy City. Time to show you just what power I have…”
With that the air darkened, and a sword composed of fine metallic sand appeared in her hand, vibrating the air like a chainsaw. “Just give up and I won’t have to hurt you…”

“Giving up just isn’t my style.” Spike said, scorched ciggarette falling from his lips. If I can get in close then I can overpower her, I doubt she knows much hand to hand combat… With that last thought he ran, dodging the whipping sword of iron doom, lashing out with a savage kick…

Straight Power Contest - Mikoto wins hands down. Spike is very good for a fighter, but he's in the wrong series if he is aiming to win a straight fight.

Appearence - Well, neither are particularly unique, I would score this one a tie.

Rule of Cool - Apart from her powers, Mikoto isn't exactly the epitome of cool. Spike however, I think we can all agree is cool personified, as you would expect from Cowboy Bebop. Win to Spike.

Series Clash - Bebop is one of the most iconic series out there in the minds of fans. However Index has been named the best LN series of the last ten years and has won a ton of awards so i feel we can call this one a tie.

Personal bias - Mikoto is one of my favourite characters in Index, and overall, whereas blasphemy of blasphemys I never really liked Spike in Bebop. (there goes all my cred points with anime fandom i guess *smile*) so Mikoto wins.

Really it all comes down to bias, as Spike would be a tough competitor with his epic level of popularity in the fandom as a whole. Misaka is going to get at least this one vote as consolation though. See you, space cowboy!

I've never seen any of the A Certain series so my vote defaults to Spike. He's very cool, a fascinating character and is the kind of guy you root for in any circumstance, so it's going to take someone special to knock him out of this tournament.

My vote is for Mikoto

I really adore the Index/Railgun series and she is one of my fave characters :3

I'm voting for Spike since it's an open vote and there's no reason for me to abstain :3

Awesome post, SunlightHeart!

R

My vote goes to Spike.

While I have enjoyed what I have seen of Index so far (Season 1 & the Movie) Cowboy Bebop is so much better that I did not even have to give this much thought.

Rui said:
I'm voting for Spike since it's an open vote and there's no reason for me to abstain :3

Awesome post, SunlightHeart!

R

I agree Rui, that was an awesome post by SunlightHeart (not that it swayed me in the slightest with my vote).

i vote for Mikoto Misaka

is this a popularity contest or who we think would win an actual fight between the two characters. I've never seen bebop but I have never heard of Spike having any special abilities and I just don't see him beating Mikoto when she wields the power of electricity in all sorts of cool ways.

"I vote for Mikoto" Ryo Chan Ryo Chan says supporting his one-sama

also, needs more vote buying

mikoto_misaka_by_fursen3-d372qnt.jpg

Morcombe said:
is this a popularity contest or who we think would win an actual fight between the two characters.
It's a popularity contest. But I suppose if you want to base your own voting on power levels you can.

My vote goes to Mikoto

(Pre-vote Thought Process)
Need to think hard on this...
Mikoto is wearing a cat headband. Spike has a dog who likes magic mushrooms.
Yet Mikoto likes a strange froggy character. Spike "dropped" egg on his trousers, wasting poor chick's lives.

Put them both in a room 4x15m with either a trademark item or weapon, and you'll hear a biri-biri at some point, probably from her railgun. Mega advantage if they're in a room that's metallic and has electricity. However, Spike's a quick-shooter. Also, if Mikoto is too close to him, Spike's got the physical advantage and combat skills to boot (even with Mikoto's special close-combat skill.)

However... Ryo knows me well... (But why not Misaka Misaka?!!!!! What about "Dog?")

Since other people are default voting for Spike I'll default vote for biribir... Misaka Mikoto

My vote goes for Spike.

My reasoning isn't really all that good, but I've never seen Index and only seen like 3 episodes of Railgun and didn't find it particularly interesting (although perhaps that's a bit unfair after 3 episodes), also, it's SPIKE FREAKING SPIEGEL.....

I vote for Mikoto.

I'm not really into Cowboy Bebop. Ein is the best character anyway.

My vote is for Spike

One of the best characters ever and probably my all time favourite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back