Ask our reporter in Japan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo chris!! this is my first time asking you a question, I'll try my best to get it spot on-

I went to a Beat em up tourney (well more of a Game fest) and met a dude who said he lived in Japan. He said you can get paid to teach English there, and he also said the Jap Government allows you to stay in Jap for 1 year or something of that sort

I wanna know whether all of what the dude said was true. Na, I aint metaphorically making up the dude, this is 100% real deal, I know it sounds stupid, but Im a lil Gullable so I kinda beleived him... lol

I think what he was talking about was the "JET scheme" or the "JET program" or something that is run by the Japanese embassy. I think you have to have either graduated or be at university to qualify and you have to pass interviews at the Japanese embassy in Londinium.
(The reason I know this is I was on a train in England a few years ago and got talking to a girl who was going to do it)
I hear that they don't get positions at schools in Tokyo- only in Kyoto or Nara, etc...

ahh, does it pay well?? I just want a lil experience of working abroad, and Japan's a cool place to start I figured no places at Tokyo?? aww man, hmmm Kyoto... Im not sure if it's as busy and arcady as Tokyo, but I'll be sure to give it a go when im a lil older and if the scheme is still in place!! lol

I have no idea if it pays well or not, but I guess its pretty good money compared to what you'd get in some other places.
If you look on the web site for the Japanese Embassy, I'm sure they'll have something on it there.

Kyoto is of no comparison to Tokyo. Kyoto is not exciting at all- unless you like traditional stuff that is.

Chris said:
Kyoto is of no comparison to Tokyo. Kyoto is not exciting at all- unless you like traditional stuff that is.

An odd question this, but do you know if there's any reason why Kyoto is an anagram of Tokyo? :?

Kyoto used to be the capital city, so it's name means "capital city", when Edo became the capital city, its name became Tokyo- "eastern capital".

Kyoto used to be called "Heiankyo" which means "capital of the Heian (dynasty)".

The kanji for Tokyo and Kyoto are a little different
Kyoto- 京都
Tokyo- 東京

京 means "capital"
都 means "city"
東 means "East/Eastern"

The Tokyo city area is called 東京都, which means Tokyo City.
It's just a little bit of a coincidence that they both sound similar. :wink:

Chris, how does TV work in Japan?
How many terrestrial channels are there, and do you need to pay for a license or subscription for them?

Also TV related: Is it true that the remake of 70s/80s series Monkey is the biggest tv show in Japan at the moment, with one third of the population watching it? Is it any good?

Also TV related: Is it true that the remake of 70s/80s series Monkey is the biggest tv show in Japan at the moment, with one third of the population watching it? Is it any good?

oh god no, as if dragonball didn't kill it already

TV
1- NHK (main)
2-
3- NHK (educational)
4- NTV (Nihon TV)
5-
6- TBS (Tokyo Broadcasting System)
7-
8- Fuji TV
9-
10- TV Asahi
11-
12- TV Tokyo

2 is used as the video channel, used for watching videos, or is used for cable TV. 5,7,9,11 are for regional channels (Chiba TV, TVK, etc...)

In Japan NHK does the same as the BBC do in the UK, they charge a licence fee. A few years ago the head of NHK was exposed having taken a lot of the licence money and spent it himself, also other stories, not sure if they're true or not, about how they have chairs made out of gold in the important peoples offices in the companies main building and spend loads of cash on things not related to the programming, have made a LOT of people stop paying the fee. It's not as hard-handed as it is in the UK though.

Saiyuuki
I watched the first episode and it was alright, but nothing compared to the original. The characters look ****, only Gokuu looks cool, the others look like something from a French anime from the 70's. They didn't even bother to do any of the story of how they became to be doing what they're doing. The original had the first 2 episodes telling you about the characters and their pasts, the new one, nothing :x (they don't even have Gokuu draining the snake on buddah's fingers)
If you ever get the chance to watch it, don't bother, watch the first one maybe, just for the novelty.

Saiyuuki
I watched the first episode and it was alright, but nothing compared to the original. The characters look ****, only Gokuu looks cool, the others look like something from a French anime from the 70's. They didn't even bother to do any of the story of how they became to be doing what they're doing. The original had the first 2 episodes telling you about the characters and their pasts, the new one, nothing (they don't even have Gokuu draining the snake on buddah's fingers)
If you ever get the chance to watch it, don't bother, watch the first one maybe, just for the novelty.

Wow, I've seen the first 3 episodes and absolutely love it, I think its great! Im glad they skipped all the stuff about Gokuu getting thrown out of heaven to be honest, It was a good part but I wanted it to get straight to the quest.

Just learning Japanese and I cam across a katakana of the symbol that sounds like 'u' except it has the " markings next to it. How is this pronounced and is it special?

I'm in England at the moment. My Dad died of cancer a week or so ago, so I had to get over here. Thats why I haven't been online much. Sorry. I'll be back in Japan at the weekend, and I'll answer your questions then. OK? Sorry for the delays and everything. It's bloody weird in England. How do you all cope?!?

God, tell me about it. I think I'll have to take a new liver back with me. My home town is full of wankers and idiots and crossbreeds of the two. Oh, and assylum seekers. Point of advice- NEVER go to Hull, not that anyone would ever want to.

Capuchin said:
And another request please Chris, could you look here and give us the gist of what's being said.

On behalf of the board's desperate GITS fans.

I looked at what I could of it- it's too VERY long and he'e not the most interesting talker. But, It just seems to be a corporate plan for the year!? Nothing really of interest.

The symbol that sounds like 'u' except it has the " markings next to it.
Do you mean ヴ ? It is a fairly recent addition to the "alphabet" It is prounounced like the English "V".

Please ask me some more stuff :D I'm back in the game now :lol:

By the way Capuchin, I love the Ichigio Mashimaro avatar! I'm a Matsuri-chan fan myself though :lol: Has to be one of the best anime/manga of late.

another sports q from me

how is japan reacting to F1 this year, specially with a japanese team and 2 japanese drivers now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back