Ask our reporter in Japan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah you can read it as "dreams power" but, "the power of dreams" sounds a lot better, and it does mean the same thing I guess :wink:

Hey, Chris

Haven't seen much of you on IRC lately which means real life must be monopolising your time, or we scared you so bad the mental anguish is keeping you away.

Okay a little request If possible; I am a great fan of Yu Aida's Gunslinger Girl and with ADV holding production on any manga until further notice I was wondering if it you could translate the synopsis for volume four from the main Gunslinger Girl manga website for me please? = http://shop.mediaworks.co.jp/ds_index.p ... 402-2819-1

The main part of the text is basicly an overview of the story. The only info about 4 is the last 2 lines.

4 is mainly about Kuraeus??'s daily life and Jose?'s past, among other things.

Sorry I don't know how to spell their names :)

I hope its of some help to you! If you want anything else translating- feel free to ask away :)

I hope to get on IRC again at about 23pm UK time Wednesday night (I get off work at 8am here you see.) Hope we can have a chat then!!

Huxley said:
And my personal favourite "Samurai Champloo" (from the makers of Bebop)- it's AWESOME!!!

You make me jealous :oops:

Does it stand up to CB? From what I've seen it looks fantastic, hope this one makes it to the UK sooner rather than later.

I have seen a few of the fansubs, and it is awesome lol, maybe not as good as bebop but what is ?! =P

sorry to post about an old topic but for anyone who hasn't seen it it's a great series.

Yeah, SC is really cool. I've been reading the manga recently, it's pretty good. Haven't seen Cowboy Bebop to be honest :wink:

Chris I was just wondering what the bigest non Japanes Anime/Cartoon is in japan at the moment? if there is any non japanes stuff thats big over there at the moment that is 8)

I'm not sure if you've answered this before, it feels like somethink that might have been asked previously, but i was wondering to what extent are women still second class citizens in Japan?

And also, i seem to have seen quite a few ways of saying Love in Japanese, theres Ai, Suki, Koi, and i thought 'I Love You' was 'Dai suki', but i've also seen 'Ai shiteru', though i'm not sure i've heard that one so much in anime. Could you tell me what the difference is, and if i've missed any out

What is the Japanese for tap water. The Japanese restaurant I go to doesn't seem to employ any English speakers, so the best I can do is ask for water "mizu" which always gets me bottled stuff (and expensive at that!).

Is tap water a normal thing to have with a meal in Japan?

You should ask for Suido- sui. It means tap-water.

I'll reply to the other questions when I get home from work, sorry :)

This is a ranking of the viewing figures for anime in japan. Courtesy of Yahoo Japan. (For Eastern Japan from January 9th to the 15th)

1. Sazae-san 1/15 18.4%
2. Meitantei Conan (10 year aniversary special 1/9 13.1%
3. Chibi Maruko-Chan 1/15 12.4%
4. Doraemon 1/13 9.7%
5. Crayon Shin-Chan 1/13 9.5%
6. Mukashi Nihon Banashi 1/11 8.3%
7. Futari wa Purikyua Max Heart 1/15 8.0%
8. DragonBall GT 1/9 6.7%
9. NHK Anime Gekijyo "The Snow Queen" 1/15 6.5%
10. Eye-Sheild 21 1/11 5.7%

I've never seen any non-Japanese cartoons on TV here. I think that it would be hard to get a foreign show on here, since there is so much competition, the market is already saturated. I doubt a production company would go to all the trouble of licencing and getting all the dubbing etc... done. Unless its REALLY something that would be a definite big hit.

Love
"Ai"= Love (it can mean parental love, and love between two people)
"Suki"= Like
"Dai-suki"= Really like
"Koi"= Love (between two people)

Most Japanese seem to be a little shy when it comes to love, thats why a lot of the time instead of saying "Ai shiteru" (I love you) they say "Dai- suki" which means "I really like you" but it has the same meaning as "I love you" when said to your BF/GF/wife/etc... "Dai suki" is much more widely used, which is probably why you don't hear "ai shiteru" much in anime/manga.

Parents can say that they "love" their kids "kodomo wo aishiteru" but they wouldn't use "koi". "Koi" is used when you're talking about real love. When someone falls in love you can say "Koi ni ochiteru".

"Ai" can be used when talking about other things. For example, If you have a dog, you can say "Aiken", which means something like "my lovely dog" (sounds weird when you put it into English :? ) or if you have a favourite item or product (cooking item/car/cheese/etc...) that you use a lot you can say "Aiyou sareteru", which means something along the lines of something that you always use or swear by, e.g. "kore ha watashi no aiyou sareteru houchou"= "this is the knife that I always use/This is my favourite knife".

Water
Most of the time with meals you have Oolong Cha, Mugi Cha, Houji Cha, or water. I prefer Jasmine tea myself but, most places don't have it so I usually go for Oolong. Not many things beat an Ice cold glass of Mugi Cha is summer though :mrgreen:

I've been a little busy with work lately, but please keep the questions coming :D They give me something to look forward to :p

Do they have shows like the Simpsons on in Japan? They seem to be on everywhere else lol.
Also, are there any good new release/in the making films over there atm?
Last question; Have you (or anyone on the forums for that fact) seen "The Locker" 1 or 2 or "ju on- the Grudge 2". I've heard a lot about them and they are meant to be pretty good, but they haven't been released in the UK yet.

Yeah, the Simpsons is on, I think, it used to be on cable Tv but I don't know if it still is.

I've never heard of "The Locker". I know "ju on", but I'm not a fan of Japanese horror, since they always seem the same and I've never even felt scared watching one.

Good recent Japanese films... The only ones I've watched recently are "Lorelei" http://www.507.jp/index.html
"Yomigaeri" (pretty old though) http://www.toho.co.jp/movie-press/yomigaeri_press/ and "Odoru dai Sousasen 2 THE MOVIE" which was pretty good (I love the TV series).

I just checked up "The Locker", you mean "Shibuya Kaidan" right? I've heard of it but haven't seen it. 2's got Horikita Maki in it hasn't it?

Chris said:
I just checked up "The Locker", you mean "Shibuya Kaidan" right? I've heard of it but haven't seen it. 2's got Horikita Maki in it hasn't it?

Yeah that's it, it's about 2 people who open a locker and unleash some sort of ghost, looks good.

The websites to the films you posted were in japanese, and I don't have a translator sort of thing lol, but i'll keep a look out for em though, thanks.

What does the name/word reikuko mean? One of my friends thinks it means something to do with retribution in death, but the best I found was 'cruelty'

Thanks for the info Chris, it was a good read as always, and it was good to get the real meaning of those word, rather than the many different definitions they always have in the net :)

Reikuko
I'm pretty sure it's a miss-spelling of Reikoku. Which means cruel, heartless, or harsh. I don't think its a name, if it is, it's a very weird one- the use of ku and ko in that order are rare, especially with Rei at the start (there are names like Ikuko or Mikuko, but I've never heard of a Reikuko)

Keep them questions coming :D

dont know if anyone has asked this yet but here goes.

How difficult is it for an english tourist to get around and manage to do 'normal' things like not getting lost if they know very little Japanese? is English taught there like French or other european languages are tought here?

ive always wanted to go to japan, not sure which area i would go to. when i tell friends i'm going to go someday thy give me weird look and tell me i would not be able to tell what any signs or anyone around me was saying.

English Language in Japan
Oh, you've got a good question there!
Yes, English IS taught in Japanese schools. It used to be taught from junior school upwards but recently they've started teaching it from primary school. However, in relation to other countries in Asia, the level of English in Japan is INCREDIBLY poor. Sure, maybe a lot of people can use grammar better then most English people but when it comes to speaking/listening you'd be better off talking to a wall.
Of course there are a lot of people who speak English very well, but on the whole- don't have high expectaitions. Sometimes you get someone who is so proud of the fact they can speak English they speak it to you even if you ask them something in Japanese :evil: Irritating ****s. So about 4 years ago I invented my own country (Vlatstonia) and language(Vlatstonian), that sounds like something from Eastern Europe or Russia and give them the "I don't have a clue what you're saying, I don't speak English, please speak in Japanese"

I had the "luck" of having a very hard-headed wife who after a month or so of me being in Japan, refused to talk to me in English- forcing me to learn Japanese by myself very quickly. I got to the level of being able to hold a decent conversation in under a month with no lessons or books to help me. It's an amazingly easy language to learn, you just have to get stuck into it.
I don't really remember what it was like not understanding Japanese here- even now I wrongly assume (99% of the time) that most other forigners can at least read Katakana and Hiragana with no problem at all, which gets me a lot of bemused looks at work when I write something down for a guest.

Talking to some guests I hear that they're very lucky if they find someone who speaks good enough English to be of great help when they're lost or whatever. Although, I doubt that not being able to read signs and stuff would be all that much of a problem.

If you stay at a good hotel- i.e. the one where I work :lol: You can ask the staff to help you with stuff you don't understand- translate notes to show to people, like "Where is ... station?" etc...

Also if you want to know where to come in Japan, I really wouldn't bother with anywhere else apart from Tokyo. Osaka is crap, Kyoto is just a load of old temples which all look the same and you can see the same kind of stuff in Tokyo anyway (if you've seen one temple, you've seen them all), and most of the other big cities are not really all that interesting (I mean, who the hell wants to actually go to Sendai?!?).
In Tokyo you've got Ginza, Shinjuku, Akihabara, Shibuya, Asakusa, Roppongi Hills, Shiodome, Odaiba, then if you go for about an hours ride by train you can go to Yokohama or Kamakura, or over the other side into Chiba and go to Disneyland/DisneySea (if you're into that) or Makuhari.

It's not all that scary at all here. Don't bother about not understanding stuff, no one really bothers- you're a forginer, you're not expected to understand so theres no need to worry. :)

Also if you want to know where to come in Japan, I really wouldn't bother with anywhere else apart from Tokyo.

Really? I've been led to believe that the best parts of Japan are further north. Apprentely it's more countryside and rolling hills, and some more "traditional", rural areas are beautiful!

Is there any truth to this? :?

If you like the countryside I guess its alright. Theres nothing else really special there though.
If you want to see "traditional" Japan, you only need to go to Kyoto, it probably the most traditional place on earth. Northern Japan is pretty dull. I'd only really recomend Hokkaido during the winter, and then only Sapporo and Otaru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back