Ask our reporter in Japan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankyou Chris for the lyrics and the info on Noh. I have seen loads of Noh masks in anime before and some are rather horrible!
Basically then, Noh is like ballet or similar dances where a story is being told, but they use fans and masks, am I right?

Would you mind another song translation please? Another Lucifer song called "Lucy". I really appreciate the translations, as I always like to know what the songs mean in English. You can get a good idea of what they're about by the way they're sung, but it's not quite the same as knowing exactly what is being sung - so thankyou ^_^

Lucy

Lucy...dawn is approaching
Alone in a burger shop
Lucy...in your broken head phones
Hey, what can you hear?

After being crazy with your friends
you all of a sudden become empty
Never knowing why you live
Sometimes you just pass on

Vacant World here is a Vacant World
You're not the only one lonely
someday we'll be in the same seat
Damaged and afraid of ones-self

Lucy...I gave you that name
Lucy... that table is reserved for lost children

Living every day as a liar
makes your chest tight again doesn't it?

Vacant World, today again, Vacant World
Vacant thats why we dream
The stabbing morning sun glares back
while you hold your fragile self

Vacant World here is a Vacant World
You're not the only one lonely
The stabbing morning sun glares back
while you hold your fragile self

I wouldn't say Noh was ballet, more like a play with exaggerated gestures or something like that and masks/fans :)

Thanks for the lyrics Chris. Rather strange though, I must say! Although most of the translations are a bit weird for Lucifer songs. I think they should have stuck to Mayu Shinjo's lyrics in the manga books :lol:

Do you think you could find me the translation for Tsubasa by Aucifer (although it's supposed to be spelt /\ucifer). It's the actul group who were created to sing for the anime, but recorded for themselves and even toured!

When I compared Noh to ballet, I only meant in the fact that ballet is a story told by dancing and Noh is a story told with movements and fans. In other words, stories without words ^_^

Wow, this one took a bit of finding online :lol: And they sure do write some depressing songs :lol:

Tsubasa (wings)

Goodbye Utopia
Lying light and shade
We open our eyes
Understand inside the grief

Gather up wind in your heart
Waiting for the day to fly
I wanna let you fly so high
dampened TSUBASA
Because they're drenched with tears
If I could escape from lonlyness
I still wouldn't reach my dream

The lost you is searching for yourself
The Oddesey is starting now
Hold me... GLORIOUS
Make your heart a stone

Medusa's of memory
If I could keep on sleeping like this forever
Thats kind, but
somewhere a different me is running wild with passion
Burning TSUBASA
You're not the only one who is anxious
Gather wind up from the future
One more time fly up... fly away

dampened TSUBASA
Because they're drenched with tears
If I could escape from lonlyness
I still wouldn't reach my dream
The lost you is searching for yourself
The Oddesey is starting now
Hold me... GLORIOUS

When I compared Noh to ballet, I only meant in the fact that ballet is a story told by dancing and Noh is a story told with movements and fans. In other words, stories without words ^_^
Sorry about that, I guess I just had a brain-fart.

Chris said:
And they sure do write some depressing songs :lol:

The songs in the manga have VERY sexy lyrics - rude ones :wink:

Thankyou Chris ^_^
I'll leave you alone for a bit now :wink:
I do hope you don't mind the lyric translations? as there are a few more I'd like to know of.

I've been wondering for a while now, do Pixar films do well in Japan? In particular, how did the last 2 ('Finding Nemo' and 'The Incredibles') do? Was there a lot of hype?

One other thing I've noticed is that Pixar (in particular John Lasseter) seems to be continually playing up that they have a 'special relationship' (if you could call it that) with studio Ghibli. How's this seen in Japan?

is harry potter films big out there?

i was looking on the HP4 movie website and it has a japanese website too,
and i was wondering if it is as big there as it is here and in the US.

Pixar
Their films do very well, "Finding Nemo" nd "The Incredibles" were both big hits. I think all of their films have been No.1's and had long runs. They always get famous people to do the voices in Japanese, so they put a lot of cash into it- especially publicity, and when you get famous people in there too, the publicity grows even more, despite the fact that a lot of them are not really good at doing voice-acting (or acting for that matter). I've never heard anything about any ties between them and Ghibli though, although it wouldn't suprise me.

Hairy Pooter
This is pretty big too. Hundreds of people line up for the new books and when films get released. You even get the twats dressed-up in them robes or whatever :evil: Travel companies made a fortune apparently from selling tours to the film locations in the UK. They even sell the English books- although I doubt most of them really "get it" since the books have a load of made-up words and wordplay that you'd only really understand if you were a native English speaker. They think that because they are childrens books (rather "books aimed at children") that they're easy to understand, fools. I bet you could count the people who got past page 10 and understood everything perfectly, on one of Homer Simpsons hands.
I'm not really into it myself and don't see what all the fuss is about, well... I haven't really read one (only half of the first chapter of one) so I can't really comment, can I? :lol:

Chris said:
and when you get famous people in there too, the publicity grows even more, despite the fact that a lot of them are not really good at doing voice-acting (or acting for that matter).

That is the same for nearly all the big animated films in English too.

the books, yes they are aimed at children mostly, but as the series has gone on, they have aimed slightly more with the teenage-young adult audience...i myself am lucky to have all but the most recent one signed, i do like the books, they are good, but some people do go a bit over the top as you said chris

What is the current feeling in Japan about the princess marrying a commoner? Is it mostly indifference with a few well wishers like any royal occasion in the UK?

Princess
People are really happy about it, the same thing has happened before, 40 years of so ago a princess married a commoner and the Emperors wife Michiko is a commoner. The wedding was yesterday at the Teikoku Hotel (Imperial Hotel) the most famous and exclusive hotel in Japan. The hotel itself has such a fantastic history. The (ex)princess' husband works for the Tokyo governors office and seems like a nice bloke.
There were people lining up outside the imperial palace to sign books of congratulations from 6am, and the streets near the hotel in Hibiya/Yuurakuchou were filled with wellwishers (mostly old women- some I saw on the news had HUGE telephoto lenses for their cameras, the kind you see at football games, and looked SO funny- an old biddy papparatzi :lol: )

Hi Chris!

Bit of an odd question this, but I've heard about cosplay shops in Japan and, with no luck finding any in this country or the US, I was wondering if any were willing to export (or if any have a website for that matter lol!)

I know of Cospa in Japan, but I also remember finding out that most of the cosplay items aren't allowed to be shipped outside of Japan for some reason (I found all this out 3-4 years ago, whilst trying to get a hold of something for myself).
Cospa's website is: www.cospa.co.jp
Hobby Link Japan sometimes gets cosplay items in: www.hlj.com
Plus there are tons of web addresses in my Cosplay magazines, but I can't read Japanese, so I don't know if they ship outside of Japan. I could list them here and let Chris have a read ^_^
One thing I will warn you of is the cost, a simple Sailor Scout suit is around 30,000 yen, but I have seen some of the more elaborate ones go for between 60,000 and 150,000 (which is not far short of £700!!).
I wanted a Ling Ling outfit from Steam Detecives, but it was 90,000 yen (£450); I ended up making my own for about £25 :lol:

Miaka-chan said:
I know of Cospa in Japan, but I also remember finding out that most of the cosplay items aren't allowed to be shipped outside of Japan for some reason (I found all this out 3-4 years ago, whilst trying to get a hold of something for myself).
Cospa's website is: www.cospa.co.jp
Hobby Link Japan sometimes gets cosplay items in: www.hlj.com
Plus there are tons of web addresses in my Cosplay magazines, but I can't read Japanese, so I don't know if they ship outside of Japan. I could list them here and let Chris have a read ^_^
One thing I will warn you of is the cost, a simple Sailor Scout suit is around 30,000 yen, but I have seen some of the more elaborate ones go for between 60,000 and 150,000 (which is not far short of £700!!).
I wanted a Ling Ling outfit from Steam Detecives, but it was 90,000 yen (£450); I ended up making my own for about £25 :lol:

Cool! Thanks for the info! I'm not looking for an outfit specifically, just authentic looking accessories mostly, like wigs etc. I know you can get wigs everywhere in this country but I reckon Japan can do them better!

Thanks Miyaka :) I called Cospa and asked them if they ship overseas and they said they couldn't because of copywrite laws. I'll look up a few other stores and see what they can do. If you put the addresses from those cosplay magazines up I'll tell you what they say on there.
It might be cheaper for you to come over here and buy :lol: I could be your guide/translator for a small price- a packet of Mini-Eggs and a can of Iron-Bru :lol:

I knew there was a reason they didn't ship overseas!
I'll dig out my magazines later and put some of the web addresses here.
There is one really big cosplay site that does ship overseas, but it's long since been deleted from my computer.

@Melainy: if you're after wigs, try America. There are some wonderful wigs you can get for cosplay. I don't think you'll find they'd be any different from Japanese wigs either.
As for accessories, try ebay, but expect a massive search result if you type in "cosplay"!!
One of the things it shows in my magazines, is most accessories are hand made and they even show you how to make moulds for different things ^_^ (Elf ears is one of things I remember a step by step guide for).

Wow! Thank you both for your help!

Chris said:
It might be cheaper for you to come over here and buy I could be your guide/translator for a small price- a packet of Mini-Eggs and a can of Iron-Bru

I read somewhere that it's actually cheaper to fly to Australia and then buy a flight to Japan from there :? It's a very kind offer, but I'm only a poor student. Japan is a little out of my price range :cry:

Miaka-chan said:
@Melainy: if you're after wigs, try America. There are some wonderful wigs you can get for cosplay. I don't think you'll find they'd be any different from Japanese wigs either.

The thing is, I'm looking to dress up as Shuichi from Gravitation, but the only pink wigs I've found look a bit too "girly" or too cropped. There are plenty of guys wigs that would be perfect, but they're all natural colours, and from my experience of dyeing wigs it isn't such a good idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back