Any good mecha been out recently?

Hokum said:
Was any of the VOTOM series released in english? I cant find any info on UK release?

I have Orguss 2 on VHS!

I'vve have a second look at Gunparade March, i saw an ep on youtube id it looked a but like it EVA crossed with Gasaraki but not in a good way.

Ah you wanted uk releases? Then no it never appeared over there but intial research shows that some of it (not sure how much of it) has gone to america.

Yeah, Votoms has never had a UK release.

If you're not put off by the rather aged animation, the US got the original 52 episode tv series in its entirity under CPM, although (not surprisingly) it's all out of print. The 2006 box set is the most desirable, but it's hard to come by and you can expect serious price gouging when you see one. Single volumes are easier to find, but I reckon you're still looking at about £80 for the whole series, maybe nearer £60 if you're importing directly.

Anything else you see with English subs on it is a bootleg and there are quite a few of those kicking about, so mind how you go.

OOH!

I LOVE RahXephon! That's one very neato spin on the mecha genre. Love all the creepy designs of the dolems.

Which reminds me... I haven't sat down to watch the movie yet...

Interesting discussion this!

Pailsen Files is a great OVA but does rely on you having seen the TV series, Roots of Ambition and The Last Red Shoulder first. Other Good recent mecha (IMHO) are Code Geass, Gundam 00, Gundam Unicorn, FLAG, Macross F, Gunparade Orchestra, Gunbuster 2, Gurren Lagann and True Mazinger (not a great super robot fan but I enjoyed this).

Other so-so recent mecha animes are Linebarrels of Iron, Zegapain and Aquarion.

Plus we have Kihei Senki Legacies (announced at this week's TAF and looks very interesting), Mamuro Nagano's long awaited Gothicmade and three new VOTOMs OVAs to look forward to.

But don't forget there is loads and loads of really, really good old mecha anime out there as well!

Yeah you're right, Pailsen Files is a prequel, but is doesn't explain the characters or the setting because it assumes you already know all of that stuff because you've seen all the other VOTOMS anime before hand.

You can watch Pailsen Files cold and it is a great OVA with an awesome opening scene but there is a lot left unexplained if you haven't seen any other VOTOMS anime (mainly the three that I mentioned) so you could find some of it confusing.

Back